More news on the Ford Transmission Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
35.gif

Back in the 80s, Ford embraced the Deming principles and turned out some good quality stuff. Unfortunately entropy sets in often in large organizations, especially as leaders move on, and things regressed.

I just will never understand who in their engineering brilliance thought a "dry" clutch for a every day application vehicle.

Kudos to the whistleblowers.

"I told one friend if he loved his stepdaughter, he'd get her out of that Fiesta as quick as possible," one of the company's mechanical experts said on Nov. 25. "I wouldn't put my kid in one of those cars."

These things catch up to companies, notice the lawsuits and billions in warranty claims..all to save some egos at Ford? Whose egos put the company at such great risk. All of them should be terminated without benefits. Ford is a public share company right? Shareholders should demand the heads of those responsible.

Originally Posted by domer10
I just will never understand who in their engineering brilliance thought a "dry" clutch for a every day application vehicle.

Engineers are employees like everybody else and do what they are told to do, just like other emplyees.

Of course, this site basically worships engineers and according to many "engineers know best".

Interesting article. Read the whole thing. At the end they discuss an accident where the driver crashed into a tree after passing around a curve. Don't see how that's the transmission's fault?

Originally Posted by sdowney717
These things catch up to companies, notice the lawsuits and billions in warranty claims..all to save some egos at Ford? Whose egos put the company at such great risk. All of them should be terminated without benefits. Ford is a public share company right? Shareholders should demand the heads of those responsible.

Exactly. Those responsible that are still at the company should be FIRED and even be forced to repay their wages and benefits too!

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Exactly. Those responsible that are still at the company should be FIRED and even be forced to repay their wages and benefits too!

I believe that this might go right up to the very top too. It's going to be juicy to find out just who knew if the feds investigate this. I bet a lot of paper shredding and burning is going on at Ford HQ right now too.

I believe that this might go right up to the very top too. It's going to be juicy to find out just who knew if the feds investigate this. I bet a lot of paper shredding and burning is going on at Ford HQ right now too.

I would not hold my breath. Companies are extremely good at isolating the leadership from these types of events.

They will find an escape goat of course, but it will not be any of the true top brass.
Chances are they are already in damage control mode and are looking for the lucky candidate. Or they already have one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nascarnation
Back in the 80s, Ford embraced the Deming principles and turned out some good quality stuff. Unfortunately entropy sets in often in large organizations, especially as leaders move on, and things regressed.

Well Japan followed Deming suggestions and it served them well, Ford instead followed Damming suggestions and stopped making cars altogether.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by nascarnation

Well Japan followed Deming suggestions and it served them well, Ford instead followed Damming suggestions and stopped making cars altogether.
crazy.gif

The difference between the Japanese automakers and Ford is the UAW.

I've been wondering for a while if Ford is going to survive in it's present state, even before this (most recent) engineering fiasco-from the looks of their stock price, I'm not alone...

All Ford had to do was stop using them as soon as the problem became apparent. Replace them with a real transmission after a year or two-.

Now that Ford stopped selling the Fiesta and Focus in the US, the new ones not sold here have a regular automatic instead of a DCT.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The difference between the Japanese automakers and Ford is the UAW.

31.gif

While the UAW has many problems, they are not to blame for the quality of cars. In fact, Toyota had a UAW factory (in California!), where they produced cars that are just as good as their Japanese-made counterparts. They taught GM how to make cars like Toyota, but of course GM learned absolutely nothing
mad.gif

The real difference is the management! Japanese companies think long-term, rather than just the next quarter like Detroit
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by Pelican
Japan followed Deming suggestions and it served them well, Ford instead followed Damming suggestions and stopped making cars altogether.
crazy.gif

01.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by domer10

Engineers are employees like everybody else and do what they are told to do, just like other emplyees.

Of course, this site basically worships engineers and according to many "engineers know best".

sometimes it's the engineers fault but more often, it's management or marketing. Management is under lots of pressure to deliver product on time and marketing, for wanting cheap, cheap, cheap! Notice Toyota has less of this? It starts at the top and management at Toyota is obviously very conservative.

Ford messed up here, but don't count them out just yet.
The good they do: F-150 sold by the zillions, Mustangs are nice, new Mustang E looks promising, they build most police SUVs, etc., they are a basically cool company.

I was waiting for this to come out. been reading about the transmission issues for a few years on various forums now. I don't know if ford can come back from this, way wayyyy to high of a cost, I think 3 billion is on the cheap side, wasn't VW dieselgate twice that amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back