5 in 1 Rental Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my old F-150 was in the shop a couple of months ago I had four different rental vehicles and have another one currently because the Armada is at the dealer getting the differential replaced. I won't go into too much detail but here's the gist! I rented the Kia and Versa myself until Ford could get me a loaner.

2018 Kia Soul non turbo
:

Highs:
- average mpg was a surprising 33.9
- easy to drive and relatively comfortable
- backup camera was good quality

Lows:
- overall kind of tinny
- didn't have a lot of power but to be expected

Overall pretty impressed with Soul and enjoyed driving it! If I was in the market for a commuter I would consider it.

2018 Nissan Versa

Highs:
- good mileage averaged 37mpg in mixed driving
- it's so small, easy to drive and park anywhere
- transmission was decent for being a CVT

Lows:
- had a pretty cheap feel overall
- terrible to drive on the highway. Not sure what it was but it seemed almost hard to control especially when there was high wind

Overall the car was very boring, definitely penalty box type of ride. Strange behavior on the highway was a real put off. Not sure if that is a common theme with these cars or not.

2018 Ford Escape 1.5 Eco AND 2.5. Ford had the truck for a long time so I went through two different rentals with them. The 2.5 was a base model and the EcoBoost was a mid-level trim.

Highs:
- good road manners and predictable
- liked the sync system seems very easy to use
- ecoboost engine is pretty fun even though it is small

Lows:
- a lot of the interior plastics seem very cheap
- more blind spots than I'm used to

I drove both of these for several hundred miles and the 2.5 returned 1 mpg better then the EcoBoost, 25.4 and 24.5 respectively. I don't have a baseline to compare it to but I drove both of these pretty conservatively to achieve those numbers. I preferred the drivability of the EcoBoost but was impressed with the 2.5! Overall I thought the packaging I was just okay and would probably buy a different car if I was looking in this class.

2018 Nissan Sentra
, current loaner:

Highs:
- averaging 32mpg so far in all City driving
- I like the interior and the design of the car is nice
- sound system is pretty good for a base model

Lows:
- the CVT isn't terrible but reminds me of why I don't care for them. Odd operation at times and very sluggish off the line unless you really give it some gas
- engine emits noticeable vibration at idle

I think this car is pretty nice actually but I'm still not sold on CVT. Impressed with the mileage for sure!

Short and sweet I know but a small look into the rental car world . I spent the most time behind the wheels of the Escapes. Only a couple of days in the Versa and Soul.
cheers3.gif

Might I add my recent rental car experience. I was in an accident, so I got a rental car. Decided to go cheap, because I was concerned about how long my car could be in the shop, and wanted the $3000 rental allowance to go as far as it could.

2019 Ford Fiesta will less than 8000 miles

Highs:
- Respectable acceleration, at least for a small econobox.
- Very good fuel economy. I got about 34 mpg, and I drive my daily commute at a little over the posted 75 and 80 mph speed limits.

Lows:
- Terrible body roll on lane changes
- Hard shifts
- Grabby brakes
- Radio station select buttons were too small on the infotainment screen. Frequently unintentionally hit the wrong thing, and change menus.
- Very cramped back seat

I would not recommend one to anyone looking for a little economy car.

great thread, thanks panthermike for quick concise reviews. should keep this one going a la post your latest oil change!

Great reviews and I agree with the conclusions. I've rented all of them. Although I just don't seem to get such good MPG ...‚

I know you don't like CVT. I love both of mine 18'Forester XT and 19 Crosstrek. I think Subaru is acknowledged to have one of the best if not the best. The XT pastes you back against the seat. The crosstrek naturally not so much. But if you pour the coal to it it guess right up to 6000 rpm and just continues to shift between 5K and 6K. Not slow at all.

I would imagine the CVT's in the rentals are much the same. I wouldn't have anything except a cvt. I guess some folks dislike them bc they don't shift = who cares. Some folks (not you) can't move on to new technology.

Good reviews
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
I know you don't like CVT. I love both of mine 18'Forester XT and 19 Crosstrek. I think Subaru is acknowledged to have one of the best if not the best. The XT pastes you back against the seat. The crosstrek naturally not so much. But if you pour the coal to it it guess right up to 6000 rpm and just continues to shift between 5K and 6K. Not slow at all.

I would imagine the CVT's in the rentals are much the same. I wouldn't have anything except a cvt. I guess some folks dislike them bc they don't shift = who cares. Some folks (not you) can't move on to new technology.

Good reviews
cheers3.gif

That is a good point you bring up, I rented an Outback in Colorado and I agree regarding the trans, it's the best CVT I've driven. Actually that was probably my favorite rental car!

cujet, during those times I was really working hard on squeezing the most MPG out of the F-150 and it carried over
grin.gif

Mike, was the Versa the sedan or hatchback version?

Just curious because I've driven our 2015 Versa 1.6 sedan at ~75mph on the highway and she holds the road well. I have not been in heavy winds with it. I know they're bad with that given the relative high roof line for the configuration of vehicle. Ours is the option less base model with the 4spd automatic. She hums loudly at 75mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back