Cheapest option for insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I aso have Costco Ameriprise.
Each company has people and cars they like and don't like.
Costco and Geico are good, if you can get it.
Use the online calculators and do some shopping.

Good luck.

I would recommend Mercury. When I switched my wife & I from Farmers to Mercury, we were getting our home AND car insurance from Mercury for less than Farmers was giving the car policies alone. So it does pay to shop around. I have filed a couple of claims from Mercury and I was more than satisfied with their service.

Look into AAA. I had GEICO for years. They kept going up even though I never made a claim. It got to where they wanted about $80 a month for liability-only on my Crown Vic. With AAA I only pay $45 a month and have way more coverage (300K/500K). I have to pay for a AAA membership but even with that I'm still saving over GEICO.

A kind word of advice to insurance shoppers: Don't scrimp on liability to save a few bucks. It doesn't cost that much more to carry a decent amount. The young man who killed my husband carried a whopping $15K which was split between me and my stepson. That's all he thought a life was worth. I'm sure he paid more for his cigarettes and cell phone plan than he did for insurance.

Originally Posted by shiny
A kind word of advice to insurance shoppers: Don't scrimp on liability to save a few bucks. It doesn't cost that much more to carry a decent amount. The young man who killed my husband carried a whopping $15K which was split between me and my stepson. That's all he thought a life was worth. I'm sure he paid more for his cigarettes and cell phone plan than he did for insurance.

Well put and sorry for your loss. Been there too.

Originally Posted by John_K
Originally Posted by grampi
If you or either of your parents are a vet, you would qualify for USAA...no other company can touch their rates or service...

When I met my wife, she had USAA and I had Erie. We went with Erie because it was cheaper and have always had great sERvIcE.

I have to say I agree about USAA being anything but a deal. I know people would've raved about them had them forever and ever and ever so I decided to give them a call. Dear God by the time I get done with that ordeal I was ready to slam the phone down . I mean it took an hour and a half to two hours literally and they didn't even get into the ballpark. That was bundled with home but they still couldn't come close to what I had . I'm over 60 and haven't had a ticket since the 80s. I guess as usual I was in the wrong army or something🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

I also would find full coverage to be very questionable on any older car. Keep the deductible hi might be an option as well. As always it pays to call around and further to see if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Personally in our few dealings with them I have to say when it come to trust I put them somewhere between a used car dealer and a career politician🤨

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Well put and sorry for your loss. Been there too.

My sincere condolences. God bless you.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
If I ever found my dream car (a 2002 WS6) surely I'd be paying $500 a month or something equally stupid.

That should be old enough for collector car insurance. I pay $150 a year for a modded '99 Formula.

Just need to wait it out. I was always on the hunt trying to figure out how to make insurance cheap when I was younger (25 now). It just doesn't really happen.

The way to do it with insurance is to find an INDEPENDENT insurance agent. The guy I have can quote basically any insurance (within reason). That way you don't have to get quotes from each individual company, they do all the work for you. Anyone in AZ send me a PM I can send his info over.

Here are my suggestions:
1. Get rid of full coverage on that CRV. No way Jose.
2. Keep your driving record clean.

Originally Posted by Driz

If you or either of your parents are a vet, you would qualify for USAA...no other company can touch their rates or service...

When I met my wife, she had USAA and I had Erie. We went with Erie because it was cheaper and have always had great sERvIcE.

I have to say I agree about USAA being anything but a deal. I know people would've raved about them had them forever and ever and ever so I decided to give them a call. Dear God by the time I get done with that ordeal I was ready to slam the phone down . I mean it took an hour and a half to two hours literally and they didn't even get into the ballpark. That was bundled with home but they still couldn't come close to what I had . I'm over 60 and haven't had a ticket since the 80s. I guess as usual I was in the wrong army or something🤦ðŸ»â€â™‚ï¸

I also would find full coverage to be very questionable on any older car. Keep the deductible hi might be an option as well. As always it pays to call around and further to see if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Personally in our few dealings with them I have to say when it come to trust I put them somewhere between a used car dealer and a career politician🤨

I don't know what to tell you guys. I shop around once a year for lower rates and none of the companies I've contacted have even come close to USAA's rates. Also, my wife had an at fault accident this past spring that totaled out our van and the vehicle she hit. Not only did our premiums not go up, they actually went down...try to get that from another insurance company...

Originally Posted by Driz

I don't know what to tell you guys. I shop around once a year for lower rates and none of the companies I've contacted have even come close to USAA's rates. Also, my wife had an at fault accident this past spring that totaled out our van and the vehicle she hit. Not only did our premiums not go up, they actually went down...try to get that from another insurance company...

The biggest knock on USAA was that they never offered multi-line discounts which was why I dropped them 20 yrs ago. USAA doesn't actually group all their customers in the same pool either. There's a pool for enlisted for officers and one for bad drivers.

I guess you Yankee's get better USAA rates than us in the south because they were the most expensive car insurance option, period. I had been with them for years and no accidents/tickets..that sort of thing....and one year their rates went stupid high. Their homeowners insurance, at least here, is crazy expensive too. I know I'm in the tornado belt, but geesh. I got a 16 year old so I am reading EVERY comment to learn what I can on all-things-car-insurance. Wife was involved in a t-bone accident last year, not her fault, other driver got a ticket. Totaled the 14 CRV and she had to have surgery/rehab.....I don't care what you do or get, do not get FARMERS. They suck. They will not work with us, they want to settle....this way before she found out that surgery is the only thing to fix her shoulder from the side whiplash. To this day, we still don't know what kind of coverage the other driver had. So, we had to get a lawyer and Farmers still will not pay for anything. So, I had to use our Federal BCBS to cover all the rehab and operation....out of pocket so far has been around 3K. Of course, we had to tell BCBS, so ANY settlement....we have to pay back BCBS for what they covered....I just can't believe why it's so dang difficult for my wife, she did NOTHING but is literally paying for this. I can see how lawyers get involved now. From my own personal research, cheaper insurance is cheaper coverage. I'd be willing to bet that 75% of all drivers have the state minimum. Believe me, you need to protect yourself. Case in point....if Farmers doesn't cover all the medical expenses AND all the other money we lost, like driving to rehab, taking time off work, tolls, etc. etc....you better believe I'm suing this guy for everything. It didn't have to be this way.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
If you drop your insurance and get on your parents when you get your own again you'll have no history and rates will be high for another year or 2. Forget performance cars until you can afford all the expenses. They'll still be out there.
That is probably how our son pays a fair amount less on a newer car than the OP. We have Erie and he was on our policy and when he bought his car, they just spun him off. That maintained his (good, albeit short) history with Erie.

A kind word of advice to insurance shoppers: Don't scrimp on liability to save a few bucks. It doesn't cost that much more to carry a decent amount.

Sad thing is, companies like Progressive, Geico, etc will offer very low liability coverage to people that are "shopping" and this is why they frequently seem like really inexpensive insurance carriers. My wife was hit by a driver who was borrowing someone's car. The driver had no insurance coverage himself, which is legal, but the car's owner had $15k liability (state minimum in Ohio at the time). Our outcome was nowhere like yours but my wife and son both went to the hospital (son just had bumps and bruises - he had taken off his shoulder belt and hit his head on the seat back in front of him; wife had neck injuries and minor injuries on her legs). Our vehicle was totalled too. That $15k didn't come anywhere close to covering the costs.

There are way too many variables involved in calculating insurance premiums from person to person for anybody here to tell you who will be your best choice. Location, age, driving record, credit score, marital status, vehicle, etc. A company that has the best rates for one...may be totally the opposite for somebody else....even in a comparable age group.

The ONLY thing to do is shop. It may be worth your time to talk to a local agent who can run your information through multiple underwriters to see who comes back with the best package.

Have your parents if willing insure the project car especially if you barely drive it.

On your CRV why on would carry full coverage on 2007 with 200k miles? I would "risk" tha limited valuet even with no money to replace given you are in high school.

Personally I would wait and the most stupid thing in my youth was buying a financed(10.9%!!!!) car at age 21 that required nearly $1500/year insurance. My previous paid for car age 18-21 cost me $400/year liability only. I thought repairing it was painful then took on a $200 month payment for car + $100/month for insurance increase. That buys a lot of repairs!

Like said above, paying for collision coverage on a 2007 Honda CRV is silly.

You'll probably only save $30/month given your age by dumping the collision coverage, but count your blessings that you're only a bit over $100/month. That's CHEAP for a young guy!

Also like said, make sure you have decent liability coverage. You likely don't have much in terms of assets, so don't sweat that too badly.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Have your parents if willing insure the project car especially if you barely drive it.

On your CRV why on would carry full coverage on 2007 with 200k miles? I would "risk" tha limited valuet even with no money to replace given you are in high school.

Personally I would wait and the most stupid thing in my youth was buying a financed(10.9%!!!!) car at age 21 that required nearly $1500/year insurance. My previous paid for car age 18-21 cost me $400/year liability only. I thought repairing it was painful then took on a $200 month payment for car + $100/month for insurance increase. That buys a lot of repairs!

What car did you buy at 21 ?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

What car did you buy at 21 ?

1995 Honda Civic Coupe. 1 year later did luckiest financial move buying a $100k home with 3% down!

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I am 18, currently a high school senior. Insured through State Farm at the moment,.

On my Honda CR-V, my insurance is $160 a month for FULL coverage.

I recently found a 1991 Trans Am with the 305 TPI on marketplace and really want to buy it as a project car because I can afford it, but for me to insure that, I'd be paying $325 a month for the BARE MINIMUM coverage...

If I ever found my dream car (a 2002 WS6) surely I'd be paying $500 a month or something equally stupid.

Anyone know of a decently cheap insurance company I could cover a ~20 year old sports car through where I wouldn't be paying so much that after 6 months of insurance I could have used that money towards a 3rd car?
This is seriously annoying... ugh

I drove a 2001 ws.6 when I was early 20s. It was $160ish for liability. Honestly? Your age is screwing you man. You have a very good insurance company, dont go cheap on insurance. I've sued the [censored] out of some companies for being chintzy. You dont want to be on the receiving end of that, should the person suing decide they arent satisfied with just wrecking the company's liability footprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back