0-20 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Acura's current TSX spec is now 0W20 (from what was 5W30).

My understanding is that is for 2009 forward. I am using 5w30 in 3 TSXs, 1 2006 and 2 2007 models. K24.

Lots of 0w20 oils out there with MS6395, unfortunately Mobil 1 is not one of them. I'd probably go with either of the SOPUS offerings.

I use "clearance oil" 0W-20 all the time in Texas... but I always add a little 15W-40 to "season" it properly!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
@paoester, so your answer on proof of your claims is "I don't have any?" Got it. Oh, and BTW, both of your numbered statements are false as well.

I'm fairly certain by the OP post that he wants to maintain warranty coverage, so unless the oil has SN(+) and MS-6395, all your quotes from Afton and non-related engine oil specs are moot.

Outside of warranty coverage, sure, experiment away. I've got Ravenol DXG in my Subaru right now even though it doesn't need or require a dexos1 oil, and none of the other 6 specs it meets apply to my engine, outside of the API designation.

I will say that whatever bulk oil he VW dealer put in my VW, its garbage compared to the FF. I'm having some Motul 508.00/509.00 installed this coming Monday with a new filter and report back. I will see and report if the mileage returns and the turbo doesn't sound like a sireen and hope the shifter stops vibrating badly under light load. The Motul might not be a " magic bullet" either, but I must give it 500 miles circulating to do some "work".

I'm pretty unbiased, I hate most everything equally
smile.gif

Last edited:

Do you have any "out the wazoo" proof to show that just because an oil meets VW508/LL-17FE+/229.71 specs that it is applicable to a Jeep Grand Cherokee and that FCA will warranty the OP's engine if he suffers a failure? This is what I found on OP's engine:

Originally Posted by JGC OM
Engine Oil - 3.6L Engine
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine
Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard
MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to
your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

So, what I read as FACT is: use 0W-20 oil in the latest and greatest API specification (currently SN+) that ALSO meets MS-6395 requirements. Curiously, paoester, none of your recommendations are supported by the manufacturer's requirements...
crazy2.gif

MS-6395 is just ILSAC GF5 and a fleet test. I know a few people who use oils that don't carry the MS-6395 spec and never have an issue with warranty. One even had his cam and lifters replaced under warranty because a lifter failed, he has exclusively had his oil changed at the dealership using Mobil 1.

That being said... the Pentastar seems to love Castrol 0w40
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Lots of 0w20 oils out there with MS6395, unfortunately Mobil 1 is not one of them. I'd probably go with either of the SOPUS offerings.

^

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
@paoester, so your answer on proof of your claims is "I don't have any?" Got it. Oh, and BTW, both of your numbered statements are false as well.

I'm fairly certain by the OP post that he wants to maintain warranty coverage, so unless the oil has SN(+) and MS-6395, all your quotes from Afton and non-related engine oil specs are moot.

Outside of warranty coverage, sure, experiment away. I've got Ravenol DXG in my Subaru right now even though it doesn't need or require a dexos1 oil, and none of the other 6 specs it meets apply to my engine, outside of the API designation.

I will say that whatever bulk oil he VW dealer put in my VW, its garbage compared to the FF. I'm having some Motul 508.00/509.00 installed this coming Monday with a new filter and report back. I will see and report if the mileage returns and the turbo doesn't sound like a sireen and hope the shifter stops vibrating badly under light load. The Motul might not be a " magic bullet" either, but I must give it 500 miles circulating to do some "work".

smile.gif

The Motul has an HTHS of 2.5 !
Let us know.

I ran Mobil 1 0W20 in my then new '04 2.4l Accord. It called for 5W20; ran perfectly. It was a 5 speed stick and saw redline often, no worries.

You contradict yourself constantly. Strange behavior.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

smile.gif

The Motul has an HTHS of 2.5 !
Let us know.

I missed that. Wow. approaching a 0W16. !

Well with the FF the car didnt want to make power over 4500 RPM. But that was OK.
I just drove it like a lazy V8 with real strong torque from 1700-3500. Now it has nothing off the bottom and the turbo is slow to spool . The really killed the stellar fuel mileage over over 40 MPG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JustN89
In your climate, a 5W-20 will do anything a 0W-20 can do, and vice versa. However, run whatever your manual tells you to and maintain that warranty.

and 0-20 will do anything 5-20 can do. It's under warranty, why deviate?

Do you really think the "W" rating on a multigrade - which is climate and season related - is a warranty buster?

Especially a 5W vs 0W argument.

I will say NO!

I Run 5W20 "cheap oil" n the Summer in the Crosstrek. I dont care about 0W balogna. It aint -40 C.

And the selling dealer service manager doesn't care unless you are a kid who modded the heck out of the car and blew the engine.

But some silly throwing 20w50 royal purple in a Honda Civic in Alberta across Winter is not part of my argument
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've been running 0w20 in mine for 18k miles. It still runs and sounds fine. I'm not worried a bit. If you are also worried about warranty, I'd run something which meet's Chrysler's spec -- which M1 does not.

Well with the help of everyone's input and the Jeep dealer I will use whatever they put in as I get free oil changes for 36,000 miles. After that maybe Mobile 1, 0-20. I have been using Mobile 1 for about 25 years and no troubles.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by JustN89
In your climate, a 5W-20 will do anything a 0W-20 can do, and vice versa. However, run whatever your manual tells you to and maintain that warranty.

and 0-20 will do anything 5-20 can do. It's under warranty, why deviate?

"Mobilâ„¢ 0W-20 motor oils can also be used where 5W-20 is recommended".

https://mobiloil.com/en/viscosity/0w-20

Originally Posted by rokwldr
Well with the help of everyone's input and the Jeep dealer I will use whatever they put in as I get free oil changes for 36,000 miles. After that maybe Mobile 1, 0-20. I have been using Mobile 1 for about 25 years and no troubles.

There is no "e" in the word Mobil-1.
You would probably be fine using a thin 5W30, like Pennzoil Platinum, once the warranty expires. Until then, stay within the viscosity grades in your Owners Manual

Originally Posted by PimTac
A lot of vehicles run 0w20 these days. It's a 20 grade. In general the 0w oils have a better base. Go with your favorite brand of oil and have no worries.

^^^ This ^^^ … odds are you get better base stock in 0w20 …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by PimTac
A lot of vehicles run 0w20 these days. It's a 20 grade. In general the 0w oils have a better base. Go with your favorite brand of oil and have no worries.

^^^ This ^^^ … odds are you get better base stock in 0w20 …

I'd be interested in a thick-side 0W20 with at least 1/3rd PAO. Mobil-1 EP comes to mind. I think it contains upwards of 50% PAO.

Yeah … scooped up lots of 0w20 M1 AP on clearance … and only a bit of VME and RGT … first time I ever just had to stop buying over shelf space … but they still had the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back