RIP Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by morepwr
I really like the looks of the Tour X and have seen them here on BITOG and wanted to see one in person to check out but no luck. None of the dealers near me have one. I went to the LA auto show and figured I would see one but nope, all they had was the SUV things they make and mostly made in China. Pretty sad really as I have had Buicks over the years and they were good cars but I think they are certainly going the way of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn and will just be a footnote soon.

One does not simply walk into a local dealership for a TourX. The mythical wagon requires a journey across state lines. If you love wagons, its well worth the leg work. With the VW Sportwagen and the TourX going away there wont be much left. Maybe Subabu?

Sad but true it seems. Looking at your sig line, we have the same taste in vehicles!

Considering GM/Buick never advertised the Regal line-up it is a wonder the vehicles lasted as long as they did. I almost bought a Tour-X but I stopped myself because of the uncertainty regarding long term availability of parts following the sale of Opel to PSA, and that PSA has their own similar wagons which they sell in Europe. Now with the Fiat-Chrysler connection to PSA, those Europe only wagons may become available here.

I sure dodged a bullet by not buying that Tour-X!

Originally Posted by MI_Roger

I sure dodged a bullet by not buying that Tour-X!

The only thing you missed is the chance to have a nice wagon. The platform is sold all over the world; parts can be obtained. Maybe if you got rear ended and had to replace the rear hatchback that would be tough. The engine is common chevy LTG. Brakes, suspension, ball joints, all that stuff will be easy to get.

Yep-TourX dead-
The TourX will be discontinued-

News arrived in our inboxes this morning of yet another death in the automotive family. The Buick Regal TourX, aged just three model years, was pronounced dead today, victim of insatiable consumer thirst for crossovers and SUVs. It leaves to mourn many dozens of wagon-lovers across the nation.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/12/ace-of-base-buick-regal-tourx/

Just like I have been saying for the last 12 months to all those who were drooling over this vehicle.

Last edited:
So what? You can still get parts for a BMW 540iT wagon, E39 chassis, and that got discontinued as well as only sold a very small number similar to what the TourX sells. The average car enthusiast should not worry about parts for one of these. It won't be like getting silverado parts but it won't be hard.

5-year total for 540iT: 2,363 units sold. Regal TourX is estimated to have sold 7300 units through Q2 2019. Probably end up with about 10k tourx in the USA when its all said and done.

Last edited:
So what? You can still get parts for a BMW 540iT wagon, E39 chassis, and that got discontinued as well as only sold a very small number similar to what the TourX sells. The average car enthusiast should not worry about parts for one of these. It won't be like getting silverado parts but it won't be hard.

5-year total for 540iT: 2,363 units sold. Regal TourX is estimated to have sold 7300 units through Q2 2019. Probably end up with about 10k tourx in the USA when its all said and done.

Resale value for one. And there will be SOME PARTS not power train realted that could be hard to come by.

These things were a dinosaur the minute they rolled off the assembly line-as proven by the fact the plug was pulled after just three years and DISMAL SALES. "Car Enthusiasts" don't normally buy a station wagon.......

Enthusiasts are practically the only people who buy wagons in the USA. Resale value will be unpredictable as the supply will be gone and the demand may still be there years later. I certainly wouldn't want to sell it for [not a wagon]. There likely won't be better new wagons ever in this country. Chevy SS resale value has gone crazy. It sold in low numbers, was discontinued, and imported to the US.

Originally Posted by CKN
And there will be SOME PARTS not power train realted that could be hard to come by.
They will continue to be produced and sold in many other countries, so parts should be available, although it may take additional time to get them to the US.

These things were a dinosaur the minute they rolled off the assembly line-as proven by the fact the plug was pulled after just three years and DISMAL SALES. "Car Enthusiasts" don't normally buy a station wagon.......

Considering that GM did zero advertising around them, the sales numbers of TourX were actually quite good, IMO, and considering the huge discount off MSRP, these are quite decent deals. If I had a need for one, I'd jump on it instead of some jacked up SUV.

Originally Posted by spasm3
The last regal that looked good was in 1987.

True that.

Not mine, but always loved them. T-Tops mandatory on a G body, IMO.

Regal.JPG

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Originally Posted by spasm3
The last regal that looked good was in 1987.

True that.

Not mine, but always loved them. T-Tops mandatory on a G body, IMO.

Glad i got my 2017 GS, don't care for the last redesigned GS's, those 87's were
thumbsup2.gif

IMG_0042.JPG

Originally Posted by CKN

Resale value for one. And there will be SOME PARTS not power train realted that could be hard to come by.

Nothing that 3-D printer cannot do it.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CKN

Why put yourself through the hassle? I mean...really? Well....maybe at 20 grand off MSRP-it MIGHT be worth it.

Originally Posted by sopususer
I hope all these axing of sedans by Ford and GM doesn't come back to bite them in the butt when and if gasoline prices begin to rise.

Oh it will. They were not ready the last time it happened simply because the cars available were not at all competitive with the competition. The next time coming they again won't be prepared because they have NO cars to sell. All the money is in 2 bags - trucks and "future EV's" that are not even ready yet. Sad state of affairs....

No worries if sedans make a sudden comeback. Ford and GovMo can bring back the Fairmont and Citation with a snap of their fingers.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CKN

Why put yourself through the hassle? I mean...really? Well....maybe at 20 grand off MSRP-it MIGHT be worth it.

Not yourself. Spare parts manufacturers will offer those parts as they are easier now to make. I am not sure what are suspension etc. differences between wagon and regular sedan, but body panels etc. can be easily printed out. It might be Made in China, but then 20k off MSRP?

Originally Posted by dishdude
I've really like the Buicks of the last decade, so much that I bought a 2011 Regal. That was a great car, really solid build quality. I've wanted a LaCrosse for a while, but it just hasn't happened.

My first Buick was an '03 Park Avenue; then I went to a 2011 Regal, non-turbo, but solid and fun to drive. My brief fling with BMW was just that (the car was totaled in a flood), so now I'm back with Buick, a '16 LaCrosse I enjoy tremendously. The car had been sitting on the Subaru dealer's lot of several months, and yet it was and is in great shape. I just can't fathom why somebody didn't buy it before I did. The '17-'19 LaCrosse, the last generation, looks fantastic, but it has a drawback: You can't turn off the Auto Stop-Start without installing a $150 aftermarket gadget.

I have to wonder who is making the decisions at Buick nowadays. Terrible marketing (sticking aging sports figures in your cars and having them babble about connectivity? Stupid spots with silly music about "I don't see a Buick"?), and now axing all the sedans? When and if the '16 dies, if I can't find a '19 or the word on the street is that they are hard to find parts for, I suppose I'll have to try a BMW again.

Presuming they still are making sedans, of course.

Originally Posted by MI_Roger
Considering GM/Buick never advertised the Regal line-up it is a wonder the vehicles lasted as long as they did. . . .

True -- there was no marketing really specific to the Regal, and certainly none for the GS. You'd see a Regal shown in one of their goofy spots ("I don't see a Buick"? Really, boys?), but nothing that centered on it and how it was different from, say, the LaCrosse, and even more important, how it compared in performance to better-known "sporty" cars.

A big part of marketing is selling us an experience. A chatty spot that implies that Buicks aren't like they were in our grandfathers' day is not much of an experience. But show a GS driving on a curvy road by night, a good-looking woman (say, Emma Stone?) at the wheel and concentrating on braking and accelerating and flinging the car through those curves, flashes of the car racing down the pavement, a grin on her face -- and no voiceover until the end over a black screen:

"Buick. Regal GS. Now."

Last edited:
I'll probably get stones tossed at me but GM should just have Chevrolet and Cadillac. Let the other brands wither. I know sentiment is strong but these vehicles are all the same except for the name badge and a few minor details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back