Visom and GTL Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by pschnahc
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Visom was the leader in Gr3+

What does 'the leader' objectively mean though?

Thanks doublehaul for the excerpt. What I get from it is more of a performance comparison between ISO GrIIIs and PAOs for the purposes of economical interchangeability. GrIII is 'run-of-the-mill', or should I say 'hardly unique', in that everyone's got one- with more relevant (less pretentious?) brand names like "ISO-SYN", "Purebase" and "Yubase" rather than made up words like Clarium or Performatron. Dumb marketing triggers me
banana2.gif

It means they were the first to market such a product back in the mid 2000's. Shell hadn't developed sufficient scale with regards to GTL.

The biggest problem with base oil discussions is that people have a natural tendency to equate a higher number designation with being "better". It's utter nonsense.

I believe XVHI from Shell was in commercial production before Viscom.

Well, but OEM's require proof of performance - and we just learned taxi tests are meaningless.
What do we do now - we can't bench test BC the members here will not certify that either.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The best test is the real world and the Mobil line is high quality and is "unsurpassed".

Yes, that methodology always works.

Yeah, all the Walmart stores I hit are loaded with banners hanging all over with a new "best" brand of the month

Originally Posted by 4WD
Well, but OEM's require proof of performance - and we just learned taxi tests are meaningless.
What do we do now - we can't bench test BC the members here will not certify that either.

Bench tests aren't required nor needed, but you do need skill in reading a blender or manufacturer's spec sheets or bottles so you aren't bamboozled by deceptive language.

ultimately performance differences between grp III+,gtl and PAO have not been demonstrated as mentionable.

We are fortunate to live in a time where seriously high performing engine oils are a widely available and affordable commodity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
ultimately performance differences between grp III+,gtl and PAO have not been demonstrated as mentionable.

We are fortunate to live in a time where seriously high performing engine oils are a widely available and affordable commodity.

Exactly.

True, and notice Ravenol's extensive use of PAO may be mostly due to the German "synthetic" labelling laws there. The rest of the world can call it full-synthetic on the label if its not PAO.

That's right, and corroborated by the variety of %PAO in VW 508/509 spec 0w20 oils available. Total, Motul, & LiquiMoly is all-PAO, while Castrol & Mobil1 ones are only about 20% PAO or so. Could it be the giants Castrol & Mobil1 have better additive packages to make easily make up for using less PAO? (see DoubleHaul's qoutes he collected above; the industry person basically thought that)----> "So you should base your choice of oils on who you think has more resources to develop the better additive package, and stop agonizing over group 3 versus 4."
The Mobil1 ESP x2 0w20 VW 508/509 also carries dexosD & 229.71 & Jag approvals, and they do it with not much PAO in the mix!

Originally Posted by kschachn
Which is more relevant, that an oil has proven to pass the requirements for Mercedes Benz approval 229.5 or someone on here proclaiming "fantastic oil, look at that slug of moly"?.
Actually, the way an oil sounds in your engine is the most relevant aspect, according to some. (kidding... douse your flaming).

Originally Posted by kschachn
Product specifications, certifications and approvals are what matter. It is the only real-world method of determining oil quality, anything else is trying to read the tea leaves of a PDS or VOA/UOA or someone's useless interpretation of them. Which is more relevant, that an oil has proven to pass the requirements for Mercedes Benz approval 229.5 or someone on here proclaiming "fantastic oil, look at that slug of moly"?

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by buster

Exactly.

I agree buster... Bryanccfshr post was spot on.

Dunno...I'm a Mobil 1 user and I honestly feel their marketing tear downs are totally and completely useless as are their taxi tests. I still feel they make great oil...

Like I said earlier...give me a 10 year test in a short tripped car with low oil and a bad egr...heck let's make it a Chrysler and really make it interesting! Maybe a college girls car she got from her 3k per year great aunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back