Does a dealer send your paperwork to the

Status
Not open for further replies.
state or the local dol for processing? i bought a couple of cars this year and it took 6 weeks to get my plates. seems a long time . if i were to buy a used vehicle i would take the paper work and go to my local DOL and be out the door the same day.

Anyone know why dealers take so long to do paperwork? are they holding on to the funds to make interest on them? Do they send their paperwork to the state and that is why it take more time? iaked a couple of freinds that have bought new vehicles and they told me it took a while to get plates also.

Last edited:
Here it gets sent to the DMV electronically. It is normal to wait a while for plates. We have had people who have waited 5-6 months even when their information was sent the day of sale.

Our most recent vehicle purchase, it took about three weeks total. Plates were sent to the dealer, and then the dealer sent them to us.

I work at a Ram dealership. All sold cars are plated on delivery, we have had some go out same day sale, delivery and plated.
We will go to the local Service Ontario - DMV office and wait for the plates if needed.

Here the dealerships all have a stack of license plates they keep in stock, and they handle all of the paperwork with the DMV for you. You pay the registration fees when doing the financing paperwork at the dealer. You drive off the dealer lot with a set of permanent plates already installed and a registration good for 2 years. Temporary plates are a rare sight around here.

In NY, Some dealerships have License Plates ready and they just assign it to the new car they sold.

I'm from NYC and I bought my car in Atlantic City, NJ. I paid them to register the car and mail the plates to me.

For some dumb reason, The title and paperwork ended up in Albany and someone went to the DMV there and registered my car there. The plates were then mailed from Albany back to Atlantic City, and then over-nighted to me in NYC.

SUPER inefficient, It took 3 Weeks. I could have registered the car myself much faster.

When I bought my Mustang this past September the dealer gave me a registration and plates when I bought it. Went into the dealer at 9am, test drove it, negotiated price, signed paperwork, and left at about 1230pm. In New Jersey apparently there is a dealer/dmv program that allows dealers to have plates on hand and do all motor vehicle paperwork on site. This was the first time I had experienced this. It seems that [censored] near all dealers do not take advantage of this program. Why I do not know. It seems to benefit all involved. Dealers who do it the old fashioned way usually have somebody drop off all new dmv paperwork once a week and pick up the completed ones at the same time. Yet it still takes a month or more to get plates sometimes.

Don

Some dealerships use a titling service to serve as an intermediary between them and the DMV. But now with the CA DMV issuing temp tags things could be different.

Mine gives me what I need for paperwork and a 14 day temp cardboard plate to tool around on while I get it figured out.

My local town hall office wants their excise tax as step 1, and with umpteen-hundred towns around, many with short, inconvenient hours, the dealers would never figure out a better way.

Originally Posted by nthach
Some dealerships use a titling service to serve as an intermediary between them and the DMV. But now with the CA DMV issuing temp tags things could be different.

It is better now. We print the temp tag on site and then the plates are sent to the customer by the DMV. For some reason whenever someone calls the dealer about this, the receptionist transfers the calls to my direct line
smirk2.gif
along with every call about recalls.

Washington has a inefficient system where all the paperwork goes to a central location then it's farmed out to private agencies, usually one near you. Stuff can get lost.

We pay hundreds and maybe thousands of dollars for this depending on what you buy.

That's what we get for paying outrageous fees and taxes for licensing and tabs. We voted and passed for a reduction but the powers to be say we didn't know what we were doing.

Originally Posted by exranger06
Here the dealerships all have a stack of license plates they keep in stock, and they handle all of the paperwork with the DMV for you. You pay the registration fees when doing the financing paperwork at the dealer. You drive off the dealer lot with a set of permanent plates already installed and a registration good for 2 years. Temporary plates are a rare sight around here.

Same thing in MA, they already have the plates at the dealership and can register it the same day. The dealership can also put the inspection sticker on the car the same day. We don't even have temporary plates.

Originally Posted by Danno
I work at a Ram dealership. All sold cars are plated on delivery, we have had some go out same day sale, delivery and plated.
We will go to the local Service Ontario - DMV office and wait for the plates if needed.
They give you plates instantly when you register a car in Ontaria. When I registered my current car, they were going to give me a new plate without even asking but I had a personalized.

here in OH, the plates stay with you, not the car.
if you trade a car in, the dealer physically transfers your plates from your old car to the new one.
you drive that way until they mail you the title(or Memorandum title in the case of financing)which you then take to the local BMV to get everything registered to you.

if you happen to get pulled over in that time, you just show your registration, and the paperwork from the dealership.

back in 2010, I sold my car in late Jan. 3 weeks later I flew to Dallas, bought a car (from my brother), put my unexpired plates on it, and drove it home. (BMV/Title dept was my first stop when i got into town.)

no trade in, the dealer issues a 30day temp tag(Cardboard)

Originally Posted by atikovi
The previous owner may have had a loan on it and it can take time to get the lien release.

this basically happened to me this spring when bought the C-Max... when the lien was released, the bank sent the title to the prior owners(couple in their 80's), instead of the Dealership...

they finally got the Memorandum title to me about 45 days after the purchase... along with a check for $20 to cover the potential fine from the bmv for taking so long.

Originally Posted by Donald
In NY they send a runner to local DMV to get plates.

Yep. You'll get plates and a temporary registration sticker right away or upon delivery. It takes a few weeks to get the official registration in the mail and can take a month or two to get the vehicles title in the mail if you're financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back