Walmart Beef

I don't care for their regular beef, but my local Walmart has 1 pound packages of Wagyu patties for ~$5, IIRC. When I'm not eating elk....or for my one daughter that refuses to touch elk,lol, I will buy that. Occasionally, they go on clearance and I'll buy them out to throw in the freezer. It's decently tasty stuff. Far better than their regular ground and doesn't cost much more.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
That supply chain setup keeps prices low, hence why not too many butchers are still around, they just can't compete.

That's an interesting statement, I wonder if that's quite locale-specific?

Locally, butchers are quite popular. We have several in our town of ~100,000 people and nearby hamlet Lakefield has a staple butcher that recently expanded its operation. These places will also prep and cut deer for you if you hunt, along with other game.

We've shifted to buying all of our meat from the butcher at this point.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
That supply chain setup keeps prices low, hence why not too many butchers are still around, they just can't compete.

Locally, butchers are quite popular. We have several in our town of ~100,000 people and nearby hamlet Lakefield has a staple butcher that recently expanded its operation. These places will also prep and cut deer for you if you hunt, along with other game.

Back home from my part of Texas I only know of one butcher shop that is 45 minutes away. Here in my part of Michigan there are 3-4 butcher shops, all 30 plus minutes. To get to the closest butcher I could easily drive to 9 grocery stores to get the most common cuts of meat.

Don't get me wrong, butchers shops have their place and do generally have better meats. From a convenience standpoint though the chain grocery stores are hard to beat and are generally more ubiquitous.

Back home from my part of Texas I only know of one butcher shop that is 45 minutes away. Here in my part of Michigan there are 3-4 butcher shops, all 30 plus minutes. To get to the closest butcher I could easily drive to 9 grocery stores to get the most common cuts of meat.

Don't get me wrong, butchers shops have their place and do generally have better meats. From a convenience standpoint though the chain grocery stores are hard to beat and are generally more ubiquitous.

That's wild, definitely quite different from here. About the only towns that I can think of that don't have a butcher, also don't have a grocery store, so you'd have to venture into a larger centre to get meat, at which point you have access to both.

That's wild, definitely quite different from here. About the only towns that I can think of that don't have a butcher, also don't have a grocery store, so you'd have to venture into a larger centre to get meat, at which point you have access to both.

I'm just an hour north of SVTCobra. There are quite a few butcher shops around here. They seem to get decent amount of traffic, and I've tried their meats a few times, but I' can't say that they're any better than what you'd get at a typical supermarket. Their pork has an offputting aftertaste, just like the supermarket one. I don't know what it is that they feed pigs in the US. It's just awful. I used to eat lots of pork growing up. No more.

Some of the butcher shops do carry specific items that supermarkets don't (like chicken pate, hot shots, decent pierogis, etc.), so I do still shop there once in a while, but not for basic meats.

my wife and I don't eat much red meat anymore but when we do we usually get it from a local farmer who does his own or we buy at giant eagle...but I sure do see a lot of meat going out the door at walmart

Occasionally Walmart has their Angus Prime Rib roasts on for a $4 (US) a lb. 5 Hours at 275F, uncovered on a rack, roast in the oven. Those are quite good.
For ground meat I get the Costco stew beef package and pork butt and grind my own, about a 60%-40% ratio beef and pork.

Originally Posted by Danno
Occasionally Walmart has their Angus Prime Rib roasts on for a $4 (US) a lb. 5 Hours at 275F, uncovered on a rack, roast in the oven. Those are quite good.
For ground meat I get the Costco stew beef package and pork butt and grind my own, about a 60%-40% ratio beef and pork.

For $4 per LB your not getting real PRIME rib I can assure you. Your getting a standing rib roast...same cut but not USDA Prime beef. Likely choice or select.

Prime rib has become a generic term for standing rib roast when in reality only a standing rib roast of USDA Prime beef is "prime rib".

Semantics...but it makes all the difference in the world. My wife called me to tell me Aldi had prime rib for $3.99 per lb. I informed her it wasn't prime rib and then told her to buy every one they had LOL. Meat was great...but it wasn't prime

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
The thing I do not like about Walmart meat is the fluid saturated diaper that I pay for by the pound. Water is cheap, I do not like paying beep prices for water.

Rod

That's called a "soaker". It's purpose is to soak up the blood, juices, and yes, depending on the cut, probably some water. Nearly everyone uses them. If it wasn't there you would be complaining about leaky packing.

Last edited:
Because I was there, I purchased some WM meat one time. Took it home and did the "normal" prep and grilling. It was like eating rough leather and we didn't even finish them. Absolutely could have been (un)luck of the draw there, but once was enough.

I take my time looking around the two local grocers before buying. Most of the time I get expected/decent results but once in awhile we hit gold and there's some really good cuts that make it to the shelves. I'd rather pay those grocers prices than try WM again.

I grind my own beef. Walmart chuck roasts have added water.
I will roast one, but I refuse to grind them. You can really tell the difference when cooking it.

I've found more than one package on a grocery shelf. The worst was watching a lady pull a package of ground turkey out , open the plastic and feed some to her dog. Naturally she left the package behind.

I go to Sam’s Club and BJs for meat wether it be steaks or burger or whatever they have the better stuff in my area. I don’t eat roast or nothing like that so I don’t know how that is at any of those places. For Seafood we usually go to Kroger because it’s always fresher there and you can pick what you want. They will even steam it with old bay for you.

Back