GM Dexos 2 Full synthetic vs name brand full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BigCahuna
The Dexos approval is just that, GM's approval. No special formulas or ingredients in the oil. Pay your fee and magically, you to can place the logo on your brand of oil. That gives GM a possible reason to deny a warranty claim on your motor if it fails, and they find out you weren't using a Dexos approved oil. My wife's car was serviced by the dealer from new, and it's a oil consumer. I cant see where using Dexos oil helped out with anything to justify seeking out and using it. Especially after the warranty is up.,,,,

No. Just no.

Originally Posted by nlife
There's very little to be gained in a short oil change interval such as 5000 KM (3000 miles). You'd be dumping good oil. The high priced synthetics wouldn't add anything here and neither would the synthetic blends that meet specification for that matter.

Almost all the oils you mentioned carry the d1G2 license except for Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would likely qualify for the d1G2 designation since it carries all the same additives as the Platinum line, just in higher quantities. I don't know why Pennzoil hasn't gotten the dexos license for it. I don't know why Amsoil doesn't get the license either.

From what I've been able to gather over the last few months of reading Virgin Oil Analysis and Used Oil Analysis is that there's very little difference in an oils performance when it meets the required specs for your vehicle. This is simply because oil companies have to meet a baseline of specifications to get the licensing of d1G2, SN-Plus, or to be designated for use in Ford, BMW etc.

In terms of actual wear, Blackstone labs reviewed a plethora of Used Oil Analysis and the result was not all that surprising. There's very little difference in an oils performance when comparing oils that meet the same specifications regardless of it being a high priced name brand full synthetic, or a lower priced blend. Have a look at the following article:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

Neil

Amsoil could not get the license without reformulating, I think (Signature Series, at least). In the Signature Series data sheet, they say that the oil is "Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification."
It sounds like the Signature Series would not meet the testing limits set by GM and as a result, would not even be approved.

This is such a Subjective matter. At the end of the day, it is Your Money. Do whatever you please.

Actually it isn't subjective at all, or at least it shouldn't be. Eliminating it from being subjective is exactly what the dexos licensing is supposed to do. However, people on here (and some blenders) needlessly obfuscate the issue.

Originally Posted by njohnson
Amsoil could not get the license without reformulating, I think (Signature Series, at least). In the Signature Series data sheet, they say that the oil is "Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification."
It sounds like the Signature Series would not meet the testing limits set by GM and as a result, would not even be approved.

This is exactly correct. It is not a licensed dexos oil and Amsoil tells you why.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Same spec = same quality in my opinion

Same spec dies not translate into same quality. It's like telling 200 high school graduates gathered under the same roof and holding their diploma, that they are all equal in pursuing any professional field they want.

Doesn't work that way in life, nor in clumping oil certs. Supertech, plus other house brand labels, are not the same quality as Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge......etc.

True-but your motor won't blow up if you no matter what you decide to use-as long as it's meets the specs.

That's what makes these threads so entertaining.

Last edited:
I would prefer to run a full synthetic (really, most any will do) if you see a lot of sub-zero (very cold) start conditions.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Same spec = same quality in my opinion

Same spec dies not translate into same quality. It's like telling 200 high school graduates gathered under the same roof and holding their diploma, that they are all equal in pursuing any professional field they want.

Doesn't work that way in life, nor in clumping oil certs. Supertech, plus other house brand labels, are not the same quality as Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge......etc.

True-but your motor won't blow up if you no matter what you decide to use-as long as it's meets the specs.

That's what makes these threads so entertaining.

Yes we are in total agreement on this. My question why aren't these people showing us some white papers on this to prove their point. I use some house brand labels with nothing going on that would suggest this idea of the majors just being so much better. Now if they provided some documentation that it added say 50 or 100K of life to your engine one might have a little reason to be receptive. But they don't .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by njohnson

Thanks for clarifying why, I hadn't seen that.

Neil

*Although Blackstone states the wear levels between oils is insignificant - it doesn't say much for Mobil 1 5W30 which (next to Royal Purple) turned in the worst wear metals reported .

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Although Blackstone states the wear levels between oils is insignificant - it doesn't say much for Mobil 1 5W30 which (next to Royal Purple) turned in the worst wear metals reported .

Yeah, that doesn't look good for Mobil. But, then, go down and see the Volkswagen 1.9L TDI Averages and the Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 had the lowest iron wear. It was also the oil that was run the longest.

So, in some results, Mobil 1 had not great wear numbers, and the other, Mobil Delvac 1 had great wear numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

It's a bit overly dramatic to call it "the worst wear metals reported". To put this into perspective the chart you're referencing was for a single metal (iron) and it was a difference of ~.53 of ppm from the highest to the lowest. The scale was also based on PPM per 1000 miles. That's insignificant.

The article sums it up best when they say:

"For wear metals, though, there's not nearly as much variation. Iron is between 8 and 11 ppm all across the page, and copper is between 7 and 12 ppm for each set of averages. Other metals had even less variation, and no single oil type had the lowest level of all metals."

While some oils perform better than others in one or a few areas, no single oil is better than the others in all categories.

UOAs can't reliably show engine wear as the particle range they show is very small and it doesn't take into account filtration differences or draining practices etc let along standard deviations in the numbers themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back