"The Glocks of Greenland"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not commenting i\on weapons performance but one side addition:

Would the sled dogs provide some backup(buying extra time)?

Or one does need to account for time unhooking (it is the right sled term?) from sled harness?

In bear country, I opt for a 220g hardcast 10mm round.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

220g at 1200 FPS. 703 ME. Full power rounds extract the max potential from the 10mm cartridge, which is often loaded to .40 power, in reference to the FBI-watered down loads.

And 15+1 rounds in my G20. It's been utterly reliable with that round, and in fact, with every round I've ever tried in it. There is a noticeable difference in performance between that Buffalo Bore round, and their 180g JHP, than the usual "10mm lite" fare available.

I think that the Sirius Patrol chose wisely...

Canada has a similar team of way northern "types". The bolt action is smart, as is the uber reliable high capacity Glock.

One recent article on bear attacks shows that just having a pistol, pretty much any pistol, historically speaking, means that you will survive a bear attack. So a 9MM high capacity pistol is far more useful than the "experts" will tell us.

Wow... Very brave young men. Talk about being oh your own. How many days would it take for backup to arrive?
A very interesting article indeed. Thanks for posting.

I'd sure hate to carry that boat anchor rifle all over Greenland just for bear protection.

Originally Posted by hatt
I'd sure hate to carry that boat anchor rifle all over Greenland just for bear protection.

LOL well that beats the crap out of becoming bear dessert!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

LOL well that beats the crap out of becoming bear dessert!

Plenty of better packages to deal with bears. Something like the Colt C19 in .358 Winchester or .350 Rem Mag would be the ticket.

I'm surprised that they use Enfields, I'd of figured with a strong trade relation back in the day with the USSR, they would be lugging around 91/30s or something.

I'm sure 7.62x54r would be similar against a bear as a 30-06.

There may or may not be a "better" rifle, but as an owner of an Enfield (.303 though), that action is dead reliable and quite adequate for those conditions, imo.

IIRC, the 7.62x54R is closer to a .308, performance wise.

Regardless, tip of the hat to these men. I grumble when the temp goes below 50F, lol.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
One recent article on bear attacks shows that just having a pistol, pretty much any pistol, historically speaking, means that you will survive a bear attack. So a 9MM high capacity pistol is far more useful than the "experts" will tell us.

That's very interesting

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

I'm sure 7.62x54r would be similar against a bear as a 30-06.

Yes, very much similar

I love my Glock 20. It was my first handgun when I turned 21 almost 20 years ago. And if I had to sell everything, it would be the one I kept.

Why? Versatility. Bullet-wise, I can get everything from 55g at 2000+ FPS, on up to solid, heavy, 230g slugs. It holds 15+1 and is almost as reliable as an anvil.

I can even shoot .40 S&W through it (yes, I've done it) with no issues.

Great, great pistol.

There's even a company out of Montana called MechTech that makes a carbine conversion kit for it. All you need is a Glock lower and magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back