What was Shell "Carnea" oil for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've been watching this forum for a while now and found it to be full of useful info and interesting discussions. The combined knowledge is amazing. Perhaps someone can answer a question that I haven't been able to.

In the early '80s I acquired a partial drum of Shell "Carnea" oil. I don't have any other info off the drum. I believe that it was probably used for heavy logging equipment of some sort. It is of high viscosity, 140 or better, yet does not look/smell like a hypoid gear oil. It is very light in color, nearly clear.

I am curious to find out what this oil was used for - to finally know, and to put it to it's best use. I have used a little only as chain saw bar lube so far, but that seems like it might be a waste.

Thanks,
Mike

Shell CARNEA® E Oils
ISO Grades 10, 15, 22, 32, 46, 68, 100, 150, and 220 (Available East of the Rockies)
Shell CARNEA E Oils are highly refined medium viscosity index (MVI) mineral oils with low natural pour points. They are economical oils for non-critical light and medium duty applications similar to those of VITREA® Oils. CARNEA E Oils are suitable for general purpose lubrication of bearings and lightly loaded gears -- particularly those with "once through" oiling systems, or where residence time is not long due to leakage loss.

Return to Bearing Lubricants

Shell CARNEA® W Oils
ISO Grades 10, 15, 22, 32, 46, 68, 100, 150, and 220 (Available West of the Rockies)
Shell CARNEA W Oils are highly refined medium viscosity index (MVI) mineral oils with low natural pour points. They are recommended where service temperatures are moderate and where long service life is not required. CARNEA W Oils are suitable for general purpose lubrication of bearings and lightly loaded gears -- particularly those with "once through" oiling systems, or where residence time is not long due to leakage loss.

Thank you, R1150R. I don't know why I wasn't able to find the info before. I Googled it again after I saw your reply, and there it was. Maybe Google saw my searches from last week and did their own, I don't know. Anyway I feel like I just might be an idiot!

It looks like the best use of that oil, based on the info, might just be chain saw bar lubricant, as it looks like it is just plain mineral oil. I guess that explains why it barely has any odor.

Thanks again.
Mike

Carnea, Vitrea... Rotella...

You gotta give it to Shell. They can sure name 'em
grin.gif
!

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
Carnea, Vitrea... Rotella...

You gotta give it to Shell. They can sure name 'em
grin.gif
!

Of course, you will probably never see Shell "Conch" products; I believe the correct pronunciation would be "CONK"!

Originally Posted by Crashbox
I'm surprised no one has figured out the real use for Shell Carnea oil- it's eyeball oil to eliminate Cadillacs on your carneas!

Oil humor is the worst....
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back