9250 instead of 30W?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I'm asking is...My mech.(F.N.G.) added about 5 gal. of ATF instead of 30W. I'm out to sea, normally a place where seabees don't go, and all the crew is willing to part with is 9250. One of the crew is telling me it's safe, but I never heard of it. My boss, back at my command, recently told me not to use it, but will the ATF mixed in cause problems? It hasn't been moved a whole lot, just down and up a ramp, until we get where we're going. But when I back it up, it doesn't like to shift into Reverse Gears. Eventually it does, but my pucker factor is increasing. Waiting on a response from cat, till then, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Seebee i contacted a couple of our tech guys and they said never ever put atf in a cat trans.... Atf doenot have the proper frictional characteristics for the clutch to properly engage. the viscostiy is to light..and the additive pkg will attack the fluroelastometer can cause damage to the clutch packs. It can cause excessive wear and damage to trans. They were animate about it..

Flush that thing ASAP, and get 30wt into it before you move it. Find it anywhere you can... 15/40 will do in a pinch, but get that ATF out of there! If you ahve to, use some 10wt hyd oil... I had to do that omce out in the middle of Ft Polk... worked well enough to get it loaded on the truck until we could drain it and do it right back in the rear.

I have a lot of experience with the Cat D-7G and most every other piece of equipment in the Army inventory so if you need any help feel free to email me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back