Best Batt Maintainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestions please, my CTEK is going south and it cost near 100.00. I need a maintainer/ charger that you consider the most bang for the buck.
I'm not into cheap,but hate to over spend on my tools. Harbor Freight ???

Thanks Smoky

I have one NOCO3500 that's a bit wonky, my CTEK 3300 seems ok. I've found the classic Battery Tender Jr. from Deltran to be holding up well.

I have 12 batteries sitting on wood in my unheated garage that are out of vehicles for the winter, and I rotate a single Battery Tender Jr among them every few days. Another Battery Tender Jr is dedicated to my motorcycle.

I've been doing this for a few years now and haven't had any battery issues.

Originally Posted by dkryan
In what way is it "going south?"

+1

CTEK is the best maintainer I've owned... my first was a MUS 4.3, which I gave to my father after a few years (he needed one) and I bought a MXS 5.0 for myself. Their only downside is the time [long] to charge a full-sized car/truck battery if its a bit depleted vs. just maintaining them. For more depleted batteries, I plan to get a Clore PL2320.

I have a CTEK and have never had any problems. I would get in touch with CTEK and tell them about the problems you are having. Maybe they can provide a solution.

I prefer my optimate products over my CTEK products.

The 6 has been perfect and I own well over a dozen of them.
Its my go to charger/maintainer for everything from a motorcycle battery up to an 8D.

The 7 has has some issues with members here. I had one die when pressed into commercial use and it was promptly replaced by my dealer.

The pro logix gets good play here.

Anything over 10 amps should have temp compensation either as a probe, or in the clamp.

UD

I have a CTEK 7000 which is constantly cycling from start to complete at a rate so fast that my digital meter can't keep up with the voltage change, hence the going south reference. I have sent an email to CTEK without a reply.
Does that help with your diagnosis?

Thanks Smoky

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
For more depleted batteries, I plan to get a Clore PL2320.

My PL2320 behaves erratically. I suspect it's broken, and it happened after only the first year of ownership. I honestly cannot recommend it.

I have used a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. for about 5 yrs. on a motorcycle and a couple of different Miatas that were stored for the winter. No premature battery failures, vehicles started strong after storage. So, seems like a good product to me.

Originally Posted by Smoky14
Suggestions please, my CTEK is going south and it cost near 100.00. I need a maintainer/ charger that you consider the most bang for the buck.
I'm not into cheap,but hate to over spend on my tools. Harbor Freight ???

Thanks Smoky

Battery Minder products. You want high and low temp compensation.

Got a reply from CTEK which states their charger can't act that way".....don't know if that makes me blind or just a stupid fibber .
What has happened to customer service?
Smoky

I have about 6 WalMart maintainers. They are made by one of the big companies and are $20. I've used them on regular and agm batteries. Seem to work great.

Got a reply from CTEK which states their charger can't act that way".....don't know if that makes me blind or just a stupid fibber .
Smoky

take your phone, make a short video & show it to them /

Originally Posted by StarCaller
Smoky

take your phone, make a short video & show it to them /

I'm old school, my phone hangs on the wall and only works if you talk to it. It is their simple way of handling a "last time " customer.
How to build a loyal customer base???
Smoky

I have about six of these and they have brought back to life batteries I was going to scrap. Worth every penny.

[Linked Image from cdn2.bigcommerce.com]

I'm very happy with my Schumacher SC1319. Affordable, simple, and reliable. I use it to keep three random used car batteries I have at home charged up in case of power outage so I can use my large pure sine wave inverter to power my appliances, networking equipment, etc. I have a cheapo 410W Schumacher inverter I bought at Walmart like 5 years ago and I've used it pretty much daily since across various cars and although I did replace the noisy stock fan with a silent Noctua fan it still works great to this day. So Schumacher makes good products! I honestly laugh at anyone who spends $100+ on a battery maintainer when a unit 1/3 of the price will work the same.

Last edited:

I have a CTEK 7000 which is constantly cycling from start to complete at a rate so fast that my digital meter can't keep up with the voltage change, hence the going south reference. I have sent an email to CTEK without a reply.
Does that help with your diagnosis?

Thanks Smoky

[censored], Smokey, calm down.

I simply asked a question that I and others wanted an answer to. "Going south" could mean anything.

Sad to hear of your difficulties with the CTEK as my 5.0 has yet to discover a southerly heading.

I agree with taking a video and sending it to CTEK. If they don't respond, obviously you will be looking at a different brand name.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back