1st build for kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might work today but the motherboards with B450 chipsets didn't work with Ryzen 3xxx series CPU unless the BIOS is updated last month. The newer x570 motherboards will run the 3xxx Ryzen CPUs out of the box. Most of the B450 motherboards need a CPU to upgrade the BIOS.

I built a new PC last weekend. Was a bit anticlimactic. Went together very easily.

G2A.com sells Windows licenses cheap. Seems like a sketchy website but Windows 10 pro for $20 can't be beat.

My first build was the first Celeron CPU. Been using AMD ever since. Never had a problem.

The new M2 SSD sticks are very cool. Definitely get an SSD boot drive.

Where is your budget for a graphic card? If you have none you should go with AMD with Vega 8 graphics (i.e. Ryzen 3 1200G) instead.

I just build one of such system (technically an upgrade), and it only costed me $220 or so for the CPU, motherboard, and the same G SKILL 16GB DDR combined.

Intel is good for higher end servers these days but not for low budget home / game machine. They have painted themselves into the corner with their own fab and their incompetent 3D graphics. If you must use Intel expect to budget $100-200 for a low end PCIe graphics card instead of the integrated graphics. Your kids ask you for a machine for FortNite, don't let them down with Intel graphics.

AMD has been reviving. I bought their shares since they went fabless, I have that much confidence in them now.

Last edited:
Overkill.. Good to know a bit more about the AMD chipsets back then. I couldn't recall the specifics. Not many I knew had AMD processors and everything at the college was Intel. It's funny you mention how hot AMD laptops are.. yes her laptop is HOT. But I think she likes it since it warms up the room.

Leo99.. According to Gigabyte the 3xxx processor is compatible out of the box (although it didn't state if a firmware update is needed). I guess we'll see! Those M2 SSD isn't too bad in price. If it wasn't for the budget would go for it.

Pandabear... Just going to use the onboard for now. 16Gb can be reserved but will set aside 4Gb. Good point on Intel.. Fortnight didn't work on my iMac Mini with the Intel video.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Most chipsets for AMD CPU's back in the day were utter garbage. The last full desktop chipset AMD made prior to a significant hiatus was the 760. I had a 750 with a Slot A Athlon 800, and it was a solid rig, AMD provided excellent drivers for their own North/South bridges. Server chipsets followed not long after and it was entirely 3rd party at that point, and they were REALLY hit and miss.

SiS, ALI, VIA, NVidia and even ATI did the AMD chipset game with awful or non-existent drivers, often forcing the use of generic Microsoft drivers like "Standard ATA Controller" that lacked the performance tweaks that dedicated drivers, like what were offered for every single one of Intel's chipsets, provided at the time. The boards that these chipsets were often mounted to were also junk, so it was a pretty bad combo.

It was crucial that you bought a good motherboard back in those days. Problem was there were plenty of junk flooding the market, especially in the AMD space. PCChips comes to mind. If you stuck with a mid level board with a good chipset (I had good success with VIA) you were often good. For AMD systems I built and sold it was a combination of 1 or 2 FIC boards with VIA and a stable driver version. Worked out well - had a few in service as servers with few complaints. Built quite a few of AMD back when I was doing that stuff and only had one that was problematic and I chalk that up to Windows ME.

If you went ultra cheap you had issues or if you tried to be on the bleeding edge driver wise.

Originally Posted by Panda Bear
Intel is good for higher end servers these days but not for low budget home / game machine.

Not even there. AMD EPYC is cleaning up in the server space. Dense, powerful, and has low power/heat requirements. Best of all worlds unless you are tied to something that is Intel only (SAP HANA comes to mind) but for database and big data, EPYC is hard to beat.

They are also winning supercomputer contracts (Cray) and performance in that space left and right.

It's good to see Intel finally losing - they have been screwing us all over for decades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by itguy08
It was crucial that you bought a good motherboard back in those days. Problem was there were plenty of junk flooding the market, especially in the AMD space. PCChips comes to mind.

PCChips :shudder: oh my God, I remember that garbage
sick.gif

Didn't matter who they made a board for, Intel, AMD or Cyrix, they were J-U-N-K!

I had generally good luck with Abit, ASUS, most Gigabyte boards, SuperMicro of course, I'm sure there were a few others. I built a lot of K6-2 rigs when they were the drop-in upgrade for existing Pentium/5x86/486 towers. I had a buddy who was hardcore AMD like you and we always had a fun rivalry going on. I had a RAMBUS P4, he had a (faster) Athlon, then the Core-series CPU's came out, it was always fun.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Most chipsets for AMD CPU's back in the day were utter garbage. The last full desktop chipset AMD made prior to a significant hiatus was the 760. I had a 750 with a Slot A Athlon 800, and it was a solid rig, AMD provided excellent drivers for their own North/South bridges. Server chipsets followed not long after and it was entirely 3rd party at that point, and they were REALLY hit and miss.

SiS, ALI, VIA, NVidia and even ATI did the AMD chipset game with awful or non-existent drivers, often forcing the use of generic Microsoft drivers like "Standard ATA Controller" that lacked the performance tweaks that dedicated drivers, like what were offered for every single one of Intel's chipsets, provided at the time. The boards that these chipsets were often mounted to were also junk, so it was a pretty bad combo.

It was crucial that you bought a good motherboard back in those days. Problem was there were plenty of junk flooding the market, especially in the AMD space. PCChips comes to mind. If you stuck with a mid level board with a good chipset (I had good success with VIA) you were often good. For AMD systems I built and sold it was a combination of 1 or 2 FIC boards with VIA and a stable driver version. Worked out well - had a few in service as servers with few complaints. Built quite a few of AMD back when I was doing that stuff and only had one that was problematic and I chalk that up to Windows ME.

If you went ultra cheap you had issues or if you tried to be on the bleeding edge driver wise.

Originally Posted by Panda Bear
Intel is good for higher end servers these days but not for low budget home / game machine.

Not even there. AMD EPYC is cleaning up in the server space. Dense, powerful, and has low power/heat requirements. Best of all worlds unless you are tied to something that is Intel only (SAP HANA comes to mind) but for database and big data, EPYC is hard to beat.

They are also winning supercomputer contracts (Cray) and performance in that space left and right.

It's good to see Intel finally losing - they have been screwing us all over for decades.

Unless you are using something super old, you won't be worrying about driver support on AMD. To be honest these days it is really the legacy stuff that got support dropped rather than new AMD CPU / chipset that doesn't get support. I don't think home PC will have exotic stuff that runs into that, those are usually industrial control stuff and enterprise software that mandate certain types of hardware. Most mandates for Intel are really certification and validation, enterprises won't redo all the certifications, validations, and tuning for existing generation of hardware just to save a few thousands. You are not running those software at home.

PCChips is the Cardone Rebuild of the PC industry, they disappeared and they deserved it. Spend money on a good motherboard with good capacitors and power circuitry (not features), and the power supply, and add enough cooling fans, and you will be fine with Intel or AMD. My AMD systems throughout the decades lasted on average 7 years each, that's not better or worse than most Intels I got.

Last edited:
Went and picked up the parts tonight...

THERMAL V100 BLACK MT ATX CASE
GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI AM4
AMD RYZEN 5 3400G
COOLMAST HYPER 212 EVO
G.SKILL 16GB 2X8GB DDR4 3200
512GB I PREMIUM NVME SSD
550W 80+ FIXED ATX PSU

Around $540.. It'll be interesting to see how the onboard graphics handle what they might throw at it. Plan on setting it with 4Gb. The salesguy recommend a better cooler than blew the heat not on the motherboard, wouldn't of thought of that but makes sense. Wasn't going to get a SSD but was really curious on the NVME SSD. Now just to wait till Christmas Eve, I don't know if dad can wait.

I haven't built a computer in a while - but I've heard good things about the AMD Ryzen CPUs. And the integrated Vega/Navi GPU will outperform anything Intel has currently. I might build a test rig for the next job, I'll wait to see if Thunderbolt 3 makes its way to the AMD side now that Intel is allowing wider spread adoption of it - and USB 4.0 is TB3. I might go with an Ryzen/Navi combo on a Asus or Gigabyte ITX mobo.

NVMe SSDs are pretty [censored] fast. I swapped in a WD Black NVMe into a lowly Acer Inspire E15 for the parents before my dad got a MBP. That thing was fast.
shocked2.gif

probably would have skipped the cooler for that kind of build.. but those hyper 212 are good budget coolers

Got it built yesterday, I stepped him through it. Must say this thing is quick! Windows bootup is 1-2 seconds, total boot is maybe 4. That cooler was a major pain to install as was Windows 10. I've only installed Linux for years so a bit spoiled. The boys were running Fortnite and averaging 30-40 FPS which isn't spectacular but my oldest said it was good enough!

Good to hear it's working great. It's amazing how fast a modern system will boot. Windows 10 install didn't seem to be any worse than an OS X install or Cent/RedHat/Ubuntu guided install.

Have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back