What oil on local shelves has the highest amount of PAO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 147_Grain
Mobil 1 AP, then EP

Is this for sure? I'd have thought the 0w40 and 5w50 flagship oils would have been the ones. No doubt AP and EP are stellar...

unless its a speed shop selling specialty oils $$$$ its anyones guess as oil blenders only use a small amount of real synthetic PAO + Ester as needed to meet a spec!!

I once had a bottle of pure PAO HVAC lube. It has no additives and was water clear. It would be useless as engine oil though.

With multiple high quality base oils available and the newer Ashless antioxidants being used, the difference between GTL, grp III and PAO are being erased.
Are there better finished oils than others? I am certain there are marginal differences, since mOre research and expense goes into different tiers, you can see that on the shelves.
We can enjoy and learn of the advances, or we can agonize over details we will never learn.

Last edited:
Some of the SDS sheets indicated that in 0w20, M1 AFE was 30% (going to GTL?) and M1 AP/EP was 60/70%

By now who knows … but still thinking the clearance AP stash I have would have been made 60/70%
(just started to use it, OCI undecided)

I have a lifetime powertrain warranty and am forced to change my oil and filter every 10k...if I didn't I'd run AP 5w30 for 20k and be a happy camper doing it

I hate changing oil

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Originally Posted by 147_Grain
Mobil 1 AP, then EP

Is this for sure? I'd have thought the 0w40 and 5w50 flagship oils would have been the ones.

I'm guessing those are Visom based oils.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I have a lifetime powertrain warranty and am forced to change my oil and filter every 10k...

It could be worse. On my SRT, I have to change it every 6 months, even if the car sat in the garage most of that time as I don't drive it during winter.

Visom is UK + France … BMT (Texas) makes the Walmart Dexos type stuff …

Not on your shelf but Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W30 meant for diesel engines with carbon issue is more than 90% PAO/POE if I'm not mistaken. I think it may have the highest POE of any engine oil readily available at this time, even more than the boutiques that emphasize their POE content.

Local shelves for me include :

NAPA - - I buy Schaeffers oil for the Mustang & Ford Escape

Or I could always goto Farm and Fleet and purchase Amsoil, so yeah depends on what local shelves you have available ...

Originally Posted by sloinker
Not on your shelf but Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W30 meant for diesel engines with carbon issue is more than 90% PAO/POE if I'm not mistaken. I think it may have the highest POE of any engine oil readily available at this time, even more than the boutiques that emphasize their POE content.

is that safe for every day 24/7 use?

Originally Posted by enochian
What oil on local shelves has the highest amount of PAO?

compare pour points of different brands same weight. Most likely look at 0 winter rated oils.

Originally Posted by burla

I wouldn't. They designed this oil specifically to address carbon/ring issues on Cummins OTR diesel engines and it is pricey. I like a dose of ester in my oil and have been using Red Line and Ravenol of late. I have 6 quarts of MPT 10W30 in my garage but am a little worried about poisoning my DPF's in my diesels and catalytic converters in my gasoline vehicles. I am going to use it in my ATV and for my snow blower.

Originally Posted by burla

Yes, absolutely safe and what it's designed for! In fact, it's recommended to run a 25,000 mile drain interval in that commercial diesel engine by Cummings. (They allow a 60K drain interval using the other Valvoline Premium, and up to 80k(!) with oil testing).

There are a number of people who've run it in gas engines and seen carbon coming out, oil usage dropping. It's pricey at $75/gallon. I am thinking I will get two gallons early next year and burn that through my SUV with ring coking issues and see what it does...

Here's some local commentary and visual evidence:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4995896/1

The only ones at Walmart in 5 quart jugs that are almost all PAO are Mobil1 Extended Performance 0w20 and Mobil1 Annual Protection 0w20.
Mobil1 AFE 0w20 went to all Group3 or 3+ recently.
Castrol Edge 0w40 is half PAO if memory serves me. Mobil1 0w40 around 1/3 PAO.
Many VW 508 spec 0w20 oils are all or high percentage PAO since that is a higher performance specification for an oil.
The answers are in the Safety Data Sheets, at least approximate ranges.

Not on the shelves, but PAO across their line (blauparts.com sourced) is Ravenol from Germany.

Mobil1 Racing 0w30 is all PAO.
Eneos Racing Street 0w50 is all PAO.

Mostly you can forget PAO as long as the performance standard is high. Just let that be your guide. dexos1 is better than SN, and go to German oil specs for the best performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back