GM Dexos 2 Full synthetic vs name brand full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!
I am wondering something, I tried to read about the gm
Dexos gen 2 which is a full synthetic 5w30 compared to the blend that it used to be and I am wondering how it compares to a Mobil 1 regular full synthetic or pennzoil ultra platinum/Castrol edge/amsoil

For example let's say if the vehicle is doing only 5000km oil changes, then is it even beneficial to go for the name brand full synthetics? Or does the superior additive package/lubricant package in premium oils make the name brand engine oils a must have if I'm looking for the best lubrication and anti wear?

Thx

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Same spec = same quality in my opinion

Same spec dies not translate into same quality. It's like telling 200 high school graduates gathered under the same roof and holding their diploma, that they are all equal in pursuing any professional field they want.

Doesn't work that way in life, nor in clumping oil certs. Supertech, plus other house brand labels, are not the same quality as Mobil-1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge......etc.

Last edited:
Marketing works I guess, but that is why we read this site. I can buy major brands cheaper because of rebates, but does it really matter?

Originally Posted by gotnogunk
Marketing works I guess, but that is why we read this site. I can buy major brands cheaper because of rebates, but does it really matter?

If you are 1st and last owner of your vehicles (and) if that vehicle is either GDI or TGDI, then it certainly does matter. Read all the labels before purchasing. Some store brands omit important verbage like cleaning power. Some name brands can erase all your concerns. Buy oils that cover all the bases, based on wordings on the jug.

Some meet minimum specs as certified where name brand oils push envelope. Take Mobil and Valvoline as they have in house testing where as Napa is blended by Valvoline and meets minimum specs. Most house brand want to buy oil on the cheap then sell it as the same to get profit up where Valvoline sells most of its own oil in Quick Lubes.

There's very little to be gained in a short oil change interval such as 5000 KM (3000 miles). You'd be dumping good oil. The high priced synthetics wouldn't add anything here and neither would the synthetic blends that meet specification for that matter.

Almost all the oils you mentioned carry the d1G2 license except for Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would likely qualify for the d1G2 designation since it carries all the same additives as the Platinum line, just in higher quantities. I don't know why Pennzoil hasn't gotten the dexos license for it. I don't know why Amsoil doesn't get the license either.

From what I've been able to gather over the last few months of reading Virgin Oil Analysis and Used Oil Analysis is that there's very little difference in an oils performance when it meets the required specs for your vehicle. This is simply because oil companies have to meet a baseline of specifications to get the licensing of d1G2, SN-Plus, or to be designated for use in Ford, BMW etc.

In terms of actual wear, Blackstone labs reviewed a plethora of Used Oil Analysis and the result was not all that surprising. There's very little difference in an oils performance when comparing oils that meet the same specifications regardless of it being a high priced name brand full synthetic, or a lower priced blend. Have a look at the following article:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Aug-17-ENG.pdf

Neil

Last edited:
thanks for the reply guys so it seems like if im doing short oci of 5000km then the cheapest full synthetic that i can find is good enough for me and the expensiver oils wont have any beneift in the short oci. but if i want longer oci then for sure the expensive oils are worth it??

thx

If you want extended drain oils you must look for an extended drain spec of some sort. 10,000 miles has become a standard oci for many cars specifying 0W20...and I don't honestly consider that an extended interval anymore. Extended to me means 15-25,000 miles

With a UOA to verify I'd take any BMW LL or MB 229.5 approved oils that far and feel pretty comfortable about it

Originally Posted by nlife

From what I've been able to gather over the last few months of reading Virgin Oil Analysis and Used Oil Analysis is that there's very little difference in an oils performance when it meets the required specs for your vehicle. .

To me, nowadays, the choice to make between oils is how often you feel like having it changed. You enjoy changing your oil? Pick a solid dino oil and change it every 4k. Dont like changing oil as much? Pick a synthetic you like and change it every 8k. YMMV

Lets face it...with proper OCIs, a reasonably sound engine should easily get you to 200-300k depending on your driving routine. A vast majority of problems that retire a vehicle are not oil related engine problems. Which brand of oil I use is not really high on my list of priorities for my vehicles. Heck, theres even a large amount of anecdotal info on this site with guys getting high mileage while changing brands each OCI, HDEOs in gas engines, or running witch's brews of multiple brands and weights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by apollo18
thanks for the reply guys so it seems like if im doing short oci of 5000km then the cheapest full synthetic that i can find is good enough for me and the expensiver oils wont have any beneift in the short oci. but if i want longer oci then for sure the expensive oils are worth it??

thx

No that's not really what's being said.

What I, and others are saying is that any oil that meets the vehicle manufacture's specifications will work for your particular vehicle. While there are a number of high priced oils available to you, you aren't necessarily gaining anything from them when you run them throughout the manufacturer's specified oil change interval. This has to do with the quality of today's oil and the fact that any oil carrying the specified certifications must meet minimum requirements. That's a pretty narrow window by the way.

If you do a bit of reading here on BITOG you'll find this in spades. Most people here run the cheapest oil they can find as long as it meets their vehicle specifications. Sometimes that means they're running Wal-Mart brand, or a house brand synthetic blend, or they picked up a name brand full synthetic while it was on sale with a rebate.

In terms of when you should change the oil, most here find 8000 km (5000 miles) to be a short oil change interval with many extending it to 16,000 km (10,000 miles) on a healthy engine. This is with a number of different synthetic blend and full synthetic oils. Yes there will be other factors involved such as your driving habits, or if you have turbo direct gas injection motor etc., but for the most part the oils will stand up to much longer intervals and provide similar wear results in your engine.

Have a look at the article I posted. It's based on actual oil analysis results and it demonstrates that there's very little difference in wear between the lower priced oil vs. high end full synthetics over similar oil change intervals.

Neil

Last edited:
It might slightly depend on car- but in today's world- oil is going to be oil. I've used major and house brands for years with no issues at all. The fact is that SN+ is a pretty good spec now....

For say my almost 14 year old Cobalt- any SN+ oil will more than protect it now.

My year old Turboed Equinox? Might be a bit pickier giving it a name brand oil for the added feel good ......

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by gotnogunk

If you are 1st and last owner of your vehicles (and) if that vehicle is either GDI or TGDI, then it certainly does matter. Read all the labels before purchasing. Some store brands omit important verbage like cleaning power. Some name brands can erase all your concerns. Buy oils that cover all the bases, based on wordings on the jug.

Go ahead and by wordings such as unsurpassed, up to, and excellent. All this means is no company can state better than the rest because it's not fact.

Originally Posted by apollo18

thx

Since this a forum with many opinions, I agree with you on the 5000km OCI if you plan on keeping your car 500,000km. I have decided to use the full synthetic name brand oils. Are they better than Supertech or Amazon or Costo? IDK?
I just have more confidence in Pennzoil, Quaker State, Shell, etc.

I sorta compare oils like I do gasoline. You have the no name brands that meet the government specs and then you have the Top Tier brands with added cleaners and such. I only use Top TIer gasolines and in my twisted brain believe that Pennzoil is
a higher quality than another oil with the same SN+ spec. Please note, I have absolutely no proof/hard evidence to support my beliefs.

Another point of view is the smaller blenders have to provide a better value thus a better product to compete with the XOM, SOPUS, Chevron, and Phillips 66.

The Dexos approval is just that, GM's approval. No special formulas or ingredients in the oil. Pay your fee and magically, you to can place the logo on your brand of oil. That gives GM a possible reason to deny a warranty claim on your motor if it fails, and they find out you weren't using a Dexos approved oil. My wife's car was serviced by the dealer from new, and it's a oil consumer. I cant see where using Dexos oil helped out with anything to justify seeking out and using it. Especially after the warranty is up.,,,,

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
The Dexos approval is just that, GM's approval. No special formulas or ingredients in the oil. Pay your fee and magically, you to can place the logo on your brand of oil. That gives GM a possible reason to deny a warranty claim on your motor if it fails, and they find out you weren't using a Dexos approved oil. My wife's car was serviced by the dealer from new, and it's a oil consumer. I cant see where using Dexos oil helped out with anything to justify seeking out and using it. Especially after the warranty is up.,,,,

Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back