Napa pro select 27502 cut open

This filter was used on a police car for 3000 miles. At first glance I thought it was a great value for the money but the media is very weak. With little pressure I crushed in and tore the paper media. I can literally pull it off the end caps with 2 fingers. Did it last the oci without breaking, yes. But I need some more insurance that if they go over on service the parts will last. I showed my Napa and they are upgrading me to Napa Gold filters and returning the pro select filters I have left.

20191204_101639.jpg

20191204_101643.jpg

20191204_101652.jpg

20191204_101701.jpg

20191204_101802.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. It looks like a filter I'd pass on, even for a short OCI.

Probably OK for 3000 miles, but I was never a combo valve fan, and the weak media is another strike. Very Purolator like, wonder if that's a coincidence?

.... but I was never a combo valve fan....
As seen in pic three from the top, topic filter uses a separate dome bypass. No combo valve.

NPS is a jobber tier filter, best intended for ~5k mi. fci. Media observation aside, appears this one got the job done. That said, good move going to the Gold.

Thanks for c&p.

How many months was this filter in service for?

There seems to be a pattern with these bottom shelf filters, weak and thin media.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Probably OK for 3000 miles, but I was never a combo valve fan, and the weak media is another strike. Very Purolator like, wonder if that's a coincidence?

It actually has a relief valve pictured on the top cap. I think the thing on the base is just a spacer. Still doesn't give you much confidence though.

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic
How many months was this filter in service for?

There seems to be a pattern with these bottom shelf filters, weak and thin media.

Thanks for sharing.

About 2-3 months. This is a K9 car so it never shuts off. The media is very brittle like it's been hot. I'll check the filter off this car next time with the gold to compare.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
.... but I was never a combo valve fan....
As seen in pic three from the top, topic filter uses a separate dome bypass. No combo valve.

NPS is a jobber tier filter, best intended for ~5k mi. fci. Media observation aside, appears this one got the job done. That said, good move going to the Gold.

Thanks for c&p.

Very well stated ^^^^^

The Napa Gold's you have cut open have looked great... I have run my Napa Gold 57356 for 10k miles without question...

Assuming wix uses a F-glass and paper media as are most non-synthetic, fiber-blend filters. I Imagine it would be brittle to poking fingers. I ran a 14 dollar OEM Honda "racing" Filtech and saw torn pleats in service (!), so tough use may require a synthetic-blend media.

I might assume the napa/wix gold would use the same media (unsure with this statement) so other than the base end bypass I dont know if you would see any improvement.

Good observations.

thx.

Last edited:
Ahh.... The Napa Gold filters use a different media than the Proselect filters.....Just like the Napa Platinum filters use a different media vs the Napa Gold filters...

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
About 2-3 months. This is a K9 car so it never shuts off. The media is very brittle like it's been hot. I'll check the filter off this car next time with the gold to compare.

This engine likely logs more hours running in a 3000 mile 3 month period than any personal use vehicle ever would. It will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference in the Napa Gold filter media.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh.... The Napa Gold filters use a different media than the Proselect filters.....Just like the Napa Platinum filters use a different media vs the Napa Gold filters...

I havent been on thier website looking at mediaclaims lately - they state this on their webpage?

Just curious and fact-seeking
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I havent been on thier website looking at mediaclaims lately - they state this on their webpage?

Just curious and fact-seeking
smile.gif

Yes sir it is there... The Proselect is a cellulose media filter...

The Napa Gold in a Enhanced cellulose media filter... The enhanced part is obviously meaning a synthetic blended oil filter media... Like a Fram orange filter says what filter media it has.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Did you pull that filter apart or was it a dreaded NAPAlator?

I ripped it with my fingers. The filter performed just fine. I'm only stating that I've pulled filters apart before and I've never been able to tear media with my fingers. I'm going to try and tear a new pro select and a new gold to see if it matters. My Napa rep told my that the Gold has a glass reinforced cellulose media where a pro select has a cellulose only media.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Did you pull that filter apart or was it a dreaded NAPAlator?

I ripped it with my fingers. The filter performed just fine. I'm only stating that I've pulled filters apart before and I've never been able to tear media with my fingers. I'm going to try and tear a new pro select and a new gold to see if it matters. My Napa rep told my that the Gold has a glass reinforced cellulose media where a pro select has a cellulose only media.

Exactly right ^^^^^^

The Gold is a very solid filter... Have Napa Gold 57356 on my car right now.

...Yes sir it is there... The Proselect is a cellulose media filter...

The Napa Gold in a Enhanced cellulose media filter... The enhanced part is obviously meaning a synthetic blended oil filter media.......
That's a good summary. Same as Wix labeled, NG calls it "glass enhanced", so cellulose-synthetic blended media. As the topic NPS is a made for Napa jobber, I'd say similar to or same as the Wix made for Auto Extra jobber filter. As noted it's thier basic cellulous media.

In my observation, the Gold not only uses high quality media, more media area per element. Here's the last two I ran. The first a substantial oci, and the second as long service interval OPE filter. Typical results 'ime'. First one and second.

My Napa sent a filter rep to my shop today to see that filter. He confirmed that the pro select was a quick lube level 3,000 mile filter. He thought the Platinum filter wouldn't be cost effective unless used with synthetic oil for longer drain intervals. He recommended that we use the Napa Gold filters for our 3-5000 mile changes. That will give us a little safety net for when they go over on service. I asked him for specific efficiency ratings on these filter. He said he didn't have the numbers on him and that he would email me.

This filter was used on a police car for 3000 miles. At first glance I thought it was a great value for the money but the media is very weak. With little pressure I crushed in and tore the paper media. I can literally pull it off the end caps with 2 fingers. Did it last the oci without breaking, yes. But I need some more insurance that if they go over on service the parts will last. I showed my Napa and they are upgrading me to Napa Gold filters and returning the pro select filters I have left.

View attachment 18743

View attachment 18744

View attachment 18745

View attachment 18746

View attachment 18747

who made it and where was it made? I recently got some filters as well and wondering if I’ll run into this

Back