Cars with rebuilt title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by atikovi
Sure. Bought this Hyundai a few years ago at a salvage auction for $300+fees and on a salvage title. Only damage I saw was scapes on the left rear bumper. Ran great, cold a/c and all. Put almost a thousand miles on it. Could have easily got a rebuilt title but needed the parts for another car so I parted it out.

Was the car stolen? If it was, and wasn't wrecked but later recovered after insurance had paid out, you would get this.

A stolen vehicle that is recovered, even if the insurance paid out, does not change to a "salvage" title unless there is specific major damage. This can vary from state to state and that damage could just be something like a bumper or door, but isn't just minor scrapes to a bumper unless it was written up as needing a new bumper skin and paint so $$$$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by atikovi
Sure. Bought this Hyundai a few years ago at a salvage auction for $300+fees and on a salvage title. Only damage I saw was scapes on the left rear bumper. Ran great, cold a/c and all. Put almost a thousand miles on it. Could have easily got a rebuilt title but needed the parts for another car so I parted it out.

Was the car stolen? If it was, and wasn't wrecked but later recovered after insurance had paid out, you would get this.

A stolen vehicle that is recovered, even if the insurance paid out, does not change to a "salvage" title unless there is specific major damage. This can vary from state to state and that damage could just be something like a bumper or door, but isn't just minor scrapes to a bumper unless it was written up as needing a new bumper skin and paint so $$$$.

There are a few states that have the "recovered theft" brand, but most other states only issue salvage titles once ownership passes from the insured to the insurance company.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Originally Posted by eljefino
So some flipper got his hands on that camry, put minimum effort into rebuilding it, and wants top dollar from you.

I guess you know "the story". Every car has one, the devil you know is better than the one you don't...

As I said, I'm not looking into buying a rebuilt car. I just wanted to find out if it's really possible to have a rebuilt title because of a repaired door. I'm a curious person
smile.gif

I wouldn't buy a car with a salvage title, but if it was your own car, it'd probably be ok to get a salvage title. My car ages ago was rear ended by a drunk driver and the bumper was damaged, had high mileage so the car wasn't worth much to the insurance company after they figured out the cost to replace and repaint the back bumper, also did a little damage to the fender also. Had someone who knew a body guy who did the work on the side and he did a great job and I ended up netting 1k after the insurance payout. Got the car reinspected by the state and they issued a rebuilt title. Drove it for a few more years before the head gasket blew.

One problem with rebuilt titles is that they're not cheap enough. People say that maybe they're worth it at 40% off, but most of the time people just want to knock of 10-20% off market value and that's not enough for the risk you're taking in regards to whether it was fixed right or not. At least when it's your own car, you know what the body shop found and can decided if you can get it fixed for less than what the insurance company thinks. Also with salvage cars, the manufacturer doesn't have to honor any warranty anymore. Usually with a used car, that could be a 15/150k Pzev warranty or federal emissions 8/80k or maybe they have some extended warranty on a particular problem with the car. In my case, I know I have an extended 15 year warranty on the fuel tank which is a 3-4k fix at the dealer. Salvage means they don't have to honor any of that although they still have to do any recalls.

There's a few shops near me that repair and sell cars with salvaged titles. They tend to be small, late model cheap Kias, Hyundais, among others. Decent vehicles for ~$6K. For that amount of $, who cares.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
There's a few shops near me that repair and sell cars with salvaged titles. They tend to be small, late model cheap Kias, Hyundais, among others. Decent vehicles for ~$6K. For that amount of $, who cares.

I guess one doesn't care unless they get into a car accident and that car collapses? There're enough YouTube videos of salvaged cars that were repaired poorly yet still passed the inspection to get a rebuilt title

Originally Posted by JTK

I guess one doesn't care unless they get into a car accident and that car collapses? There're enough YouTube videos of salvaged cars that were repaired poorly yet still passed the inspection to get a rebuilt title

When I got my my car reinspected to get a salvage title, it was done by a state police officer. He just kinda went through the car and looked it over, didn't spend that long on it. I suppose they pull cars over all the time to inspect them but it's not like he did any kind of test to see if the frame was bent or checked how it drove. I basically pulled in and he looked through the whole car, but didn't actually drive it or jack it up and look underneath it but he might have looked under it at one point. This was a while ago so I can barely remember what happened.

My 2013 Mazda5 is a rebuilt/salvage title.

Accident in TX (found pictures from the auction), front hit.
Repaired and inspected in Illinois.
Bought at 24k miles.
had to shop around for insurance since the BIGGIES didn't want it.
Now at 90k miles.
Just moved to Georgia, Had to have it re-inspected (specialized shop who also does body + structural + others work) + county sheriff inspected (looked for VIN mismatches all around the car) + pay local taxes.

I would not do it again at this range ($10k-$15k), but for anything $5k-7k and lower, with a good reputation shop, some deals can be had sometimes.

I also live in the Southern belt, so while most of the vehicles on the road are new-newer, I still see 20+ years old vehicles.

It needed:
-2.5 sets of tires
-washer fluid pump (and it needs another one right now)
-re-painted front hood (don't follow semis/trucks too close)
-one windshield (don't follow semis/trucks too close)
-something in the AC (Can't remember the part)
-one battery (old one started to loose itself in IL summer heat)
-one set of brake pads (could not take the old rotors down; rust fuzed?)

Originally Posted by wag123
In Texas a LOT of vehicles are totalled due to hail damage.

Also, let's not forget the past floods.

In my case, it was a light front collision. Bumper, radiator, hood, 1 light , washer fluid reservoir. (I found the pictures online of the damaged car at auction).

The car treat us well from 24k miles to the current 90k miles. We also came from a base Hyunday Elantra and a base Toyota Yaris, so my expectations may be lower than others.

I think with a good shop, this may be a good way to get into a luxury marque or a sport car.

In IL and IN, I found some shops specialized in sport cars, german cars, etc...

Salvage titled vehicles is all I buy now.

So far with a little investigating I've been able to find the history and damages.

Now I buy from a company that specializes in salvage titles, they give you the complete history and details of the salvage title classification for the car.

These low mile vehicles are substantially discounted from a comparable non salvage title car.

They have the list of damages, hail, collision with components replaced, theft recovery, etc. they don't do flood vehicles.

My insurance company has never said a word about it being a problem. And yes, it's big name insurer.

Trust your life to someone you don't know and is trying to make maximum profit. Go ahead. I will never buy one. In California something is always off. Low miles with worn out interior, bent frames, stripped threaded holes in frame, impossible alignments, many thing you won't know until later.

Originally Posted by eljefino
So some flipper got his hands on that camry, put minimum effort into rebuilding it, and wants top dollar from you.

I guess you know "the story". Every car has one, the devil you know is better than the one you don't...

As I said, I'm not looking into buying a rebuilt car. I just wanted to find out if it's really possible to have a rebuilt title because of a repaired door. I'm a curious person
smile.gif

Simple answer, yes it is. 100%

This thread has some dis information. A Salvage/Rebuilt title cost no more to insure, and when paid out a total from your own insurance company or another responsible party, you are not paid less because of said title. If your offered less because of said title, they are playing you for a sucker.

As usual, theres a lot of misunderstanding and out right incorrect information in this thread.

The posted 2011 Camry needs a door and probably a quarter, yeah it is totaled.

Some states have specific laws about when a car is considered a total loss or must have a salvage, junk or non-repairable title... some states exempt cosmetic damage (like hail) some don't. The state laws around this are very complicated and get even more so if cross state issues are involved, thats why insurance companies now have entire departments to deal with total losses. It is also significantly harder than it used to be to "wash" a title.

But the actual criteria for determining it is a total loss is when the repair plus the salvage value exceeds the value.

So let us look at a $10,000.00 car.

Let us say it has a $7500.00 estimate.

Let us say the salvage vendor searched its records and found similar vehicles with similar damage sold for $3500.00 at auction.

7500 + 3500 exceeds 10,000.00 so it is total. It is possible the amount of the estimate compared to the value will impact the type of title.

Same situation, but salvage vendors finds similar cars with similar damage only sell for $1000.00 at auction.

7500 + 1000 is less than 10,000.00 so not a total in absence of some law or statute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back