Kirkland Signature Full Synthetic 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this at my local Costco (Lakewood, CA) on Dec. 2, 2019. Thought it was interesting since I've never seen it before. Must be brand new. It contains 2 jugs, 5 quarts each for $23.99. Only 5W-30 was available at the time. 10 quarts in total. Very good deal even better than Supertech's price but one must take into consider the membership fee for Costco. Still a great deal.

20191202_193334.jpg

Last edited:
its actually $5 cheaper per bottle than supertech synthetic 5/30. 5/30 Supertech is $17.47. i wonder if warren understand this might cause a price war on their oil. 3 huge retailers sell the oil they bottle. gonna get interesting

if they start selling 0/20 5/20 its gonna be flying off the shelves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhyMe
its actually $5 cheaper per bottle than supertech synthetic 5/30. 5/30 Supertech is $17.47. i wonder if warren understand this might cause a price war on their oil. 3 huge retailers sell the oil they bottle. gonna get interesting

if they start selling 0/20 5/20 its gonna be flying off the shelves.

ST synthetic is $12.XX a 5 quart jug around here.

Found these links if you guys are interested. Online it says its $29.99. I saw it at the store for $23.99. I'll have to go back and see if they are still $24 and just pick it up and save the oil for next time. Definitely a Warren Distribution product.
*Great news: They also have 5W-20 and 0W-20 on Costco's website as well.
(5W-30): https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-5w-30-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart,-2-pack.product.100527865.html

(0W-20): https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-0w-20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart%2c-2-pack.product.100518855.html

(5W-20): https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-5w-20-full-synthetic-motor-oil-5-quart%2c-2-pack.product.100518854.html

imageService.jpeg

Last edited:
i wonder if warren understand this might cause a price war on their oil. 3 huge retailers sell the oil they bottle. gonna get interesting

Why would Warren care if their customers have a price war on oil they've already purchased from Warren? Warren is still getting whatever they charge per unit of oil sold... downstream sales make no nevermind to them?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
i wonder if warren understand this might cause a price war on their oil. 3 huge retailers sell the oil they bottle. gonna get interesting

Why would Warren care if their customers have a price war on oil they've already purchased from Warren? Warren is still getting whatever they charge per unit of oil sold... downstream sales make no nevermind to them?

Warren cares when Wally/Amazon/Costco come back later and say - I see you are selling to the other guys for 5% lower than us, but last quarter we moved more oil than them, so now you can drop the price 8% for us or we're going to buy from Citgo or Amalie. Then in another six months that happens again, etc. A race to the bottom is never good for wholesalers, they have to protect their retailers price margins otherwise those retailers who aren't getting a fair deal will go elsewhere.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Speaking of the Costco membership fee, how much is it? Thanks in advance.

$60 a year basic, $120 a year for Executive with 2% cash back.

I went to Costco for lunch today, and they didn't have the new Kirkland oil. Perhaps after Christmas.

Originally Posted by P7hk9

I went to Costco for lunch today, and they didn't have the new Kirkland oil. Perhaps after Christmas.

I've been to 2 warehouses in the past week and have not seen it either.
Remember Costco on line is a different business than the physical warehouses.
This oil may not be sold in physical warehouses, we will just have to see.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Same in my area. But others have reported seeing it on the shelves. Perhaps they are trying out few location to see how it sells?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Not all Costco are the same size and serve different demographics. Shelf space is a major factor, buying tendencies vary by location, etc.

I have seen it in the larger stores. As it gains attention, it will probably be in all, perhaps at the deletion of something else. Costco doesn't market a new Kirkland item without doing their homework first.

They would prefer not to ship small quantities to customers for free. Expensive perk now to meet competition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165

They would prefer not to ship small quantities to customers for free. Expensive perk now to meet competition.

I ordered a case yesterday and it was $29.99, whereas people that saw them on the shelves report the price of around $24, so clearly I paid for shipping.

In the 5W-30 viscosity, this will be my next oil purchase.
It's already a winner in my book. Costco's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back