Nail stuck in brand new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part of it is, brand new tire or not, get a nail close to the edge of the tread and you have to do a DIY plug if you want to keep the tire. Tire shops won't want to touch it. "Nope.. Too close to the sidewall". Been down that road twice in the past few years.

Just back from Walmart . The tech pull off the screw but he say no damage to the tires . No need repair or he can make extra repair ...... my choice was took the key and drive home
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Just back from Walmart . The tech pull off the screw but he say no damage to the tires . No need repair or he can make extra repair ...... my choice was took the key and drive home
grin2.gif

OK, so it didn't puncture.

Still I wonder how long my T-handle gooey rubber-resin-glue plug will hold. So far 3,000 miles. We'll see.
They say it can't be done. I'm a pioneer.

grin2.gif

Sometimes you get lucky. It looks like that was the case here.

Originally Posted by paoester
grin2.gif

OK, so it didn't puncture.

Still I wonder how long my T-handle gooey rubber-resin-glue plug will hold. So far 3,000 miles. We'll see.
They say it can't be done. I'm a pioneer.

I've used tire plugs for years and years. Never ever had one fail. I used them in sidewalls as well. My wifes Jeep with 5,000 miles on it got a nail. I plugged it. My race car tires got holes, I plugged them. My UTV got a big hole, had to use 4 plugs. Used that tire until it wore out.

Im not saying tire plugs are the only way to go, but Ive never had a problem with them and Im sure Ive used over 100 plugs in my life on all sorts of different styles of tires.

Originally Posted by Srt20
Ive used over 100 plugs in my life on all sorts of different styles of tires.

Wow. Good rich experience. Mine seems solid. I don't believe the package label saying its not permanent.

Have a plug kit handy and pull the nail. If it leaks, a plug will be fine and last the life of the tire. I never get them patched.

Last edited:
So I'm the guy who breaks the statistics about plugs. I've had 2 out of 4 leak.

I'm also the guy who has talked to others who have had troubles with them leaking.

Are plugs a viable temporary solution to a leaking tire? Yes!

Are the 100% guaranteed not to fail? No!

Do they fail more often than the tires themselves? From what I have seen, Yes!

Do plugs fail more often than patches? Yes, I've never seen a patch fail except when it was on the sidewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back