Plant derived 0w8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting read. https://www.infineuminsight.com/en-...um=email&utm_source=Infineum+Insight

That's going to be some thin oil!
smirk2.gif

Scroll down to this question: Where do you see the best opportunities for bio base stock growth and why?

Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? First you design a new engine then the oil for it. Here they created the oil but no application yet. 0W20 was a pretty radical idea when it first came out some 20 years ago for hybrid cars to make the frequent restarts easier and the oil to flow faster, but now it's spec'd for all kinds of engines.

Infineum International Limited is a joint venture between the additive product lines of ExxonMobil Chemical Company and Royal Dutch Shell Chemicals. Its headquarters are located in Abingdon, England and it has operating centers throughout the United Kingdom, United States, France, China, and Singapore.
from wikipedia

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
I wonder when we will start getting cars with lifetime engine oil? We are already there with transmissions and coolant

There is no such thing as Lifetime ATF's and coolants since all fluids degrade and need replenishment/replacement.

US Lubricants has used this base oil for at least the prior 5 years in their ECO Hydraulic Fluid's.

Renewable Lubricants Incorporated has been using various bio-derived base oils for over 15 years, so this is nothing new.

BTW, many of these bio oils were developed at the University of Northern Iowa. How do I know?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Superflan
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Horsefeathers!

Was this in reply to my comment?

http://www.royalpurple.com/product/xpr-extreme-performance-racing-oil/

Racing application only , IMHO. Those thin racing oils exists for decades

I'd think you would want thicker oil with the increased stress between parts in a race motor.

You get the most power out of the engine by having the least oil pumping losses. Granted, I think it's only for drag racing so 1/4 mile at a time.

If folks remember, Lubegard was developed utilizing a plant based ester to replace the oil previously produced by whales. At some point in the future fossil fuels and crude oil derivatives as they apply to passenger vehicles will become like that whale oil. Your grand children will not likely ever be able to buy an I.C.E. powered passenger vehicle. Electric motor lubrication, chassis and gear box lubrication can easily be supported by non crude synthetic oils. Where did I put that buggy whip? The 8 weight cited is a narrow market already, qualifying oil for race vehicles. The whole landscape of motor oil and vehicles themselves is and will undergo a sea change in the future.

This discussion just got me to thinking; I don't think a 0w8 oil will withstand fuel dilution at all.
Blackstone: "you have 5% fuel dilution, the oil tested out at 0w0...."
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
...You get the most power out of the engine by having the least oil pumping losses. Granted, I think it's only for drag racing so 1/4 mile at a time.
Don't you mean least power losses in bearings? Pumping losses are relatively insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back