High Mileage Yukon - Oil Filter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, I'm glad to be a part of the board! I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL SLE with the 5.3 engine. It has 275,000 miles on it and drives like a champ. I drive it 7 days a week. It's time for an oil change and I've thought about switching oil filters. I always use the standard ACDelco filter and 6qts of Mobil 1 5w30 full syn. I've read lots of good things about the NAPA Gold 1042 (believe it's a rebranded WIX?). I know WIX makes awesome filters. I've also read up on Fram Ultra Guard being another great filter. THEN I started reading up on the longer filters. Are there any benefits to running a longer oil filter? Some people swear by it, others don't. I believe the part number for the longer filter is 1522. Thanks for all the help! I'll be changing the oil this evening.

You are not going to see a bit of difference in a larger filter other than adding more oil.

The Fram Ultra is 'great' because it has a smaller micron filtering ability and is more efficient. Plus its been proven to be used 2X (up to around 20K miles).

So with that being said if you are the kind of guy that changes oil and filter at less than 7500 miles just keep doing what you are doing, or you can go with a Supertech or a Fram Extra Guard.

The Wix/NAPA gold are well built filters.. but for the money do not filter as well and not as efficient as an Ultra Guard.

AC Delco. Wix is what we use in our fleet vehicles and after hundreds of thousands miles used each year none have failed.

In all actuality any brand name filter will be better than needed.

Originally Posted by GMLSGUY
Hey folks, I'm glad to be a part of the board! I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL SLE with the 5.3 engine. It has 275,000 miles on it and drives like a champ. I drive it 7 days a week. It's time for an oil change and I've thought about switching oil filters. I always use the standard ACDelco filter and 6qts of Mobil 1 5w30 full syn. I've read lots of good things about the NAPA Gold 1042 (believe it's a rebranded WIX?). I know WIX makes awesome filters. I've also read up on Fram Ultra Guard being another great filter. THEN I started reading up on the longer filters. Are there any benefits to running a longer oil filter? Some people swear by it, others don't. I believe the part number for the longer filter is 1522. Thanks for all the help! I'll be changing the oil this evening.

Why would you go away from the filter that got you 275,000 miles on your 5.3? Don't fix something that isn't broken.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by GMLSGUY

Why would you go away from the filter that got you 275,000 miles on your 5.3? Don't fix something that isn't broken.

A good friend of mine was having some startup noise and lower oil pressure readings with the ACDelco filter and switched to a WIX and now has neither. I do not believe it's coincidence either. I used to run Fram extra gard filters on my Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 Inline 6 and had lots of startup valvetrain noise and lower than I'm happy with oil pressure readings. I switched to Wix and never looked back. Oil Pressure was tested before and after with a mechanical oil pressure gauge and it showed 10psi difference with a Wix than the Fram. I'm not trying to steer away, but if there's better for the same price or maybe just a hair more then why not make the switch!?

Wix are excellent filters. Check with your local NAPA to see if they have a filter sale. Many have one either once or twice a year, and the prices on NAPA Gold filters are below the store's usual cost. It's a great opportunity to stock up.

I woud stick with the AC Delco PF46e. It's improved flow characteristics match your engine. Wix would be my 2nd choice.

Some GMs need be wary of Fram Ultras. For some have the wrong settings.

You have managed to go 275k miles and now you want to change because a friend had a problem? And you want to venture away from the oil filter that was spec'd for your vehicle?

BTW: Welcome!

Ive got on 02 suburban with 277k and for a majority of its miles its seen Supertech oil and filters. If your not using a bunch of make up oil, I would stick with what got you there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Does anyone think a NAPA Gold is going to blow up his Yukon? Good grief, try one if you want.

Agreed, seems to me that's a decision an adult should be able to make on their own but I digress. Ask a "stupid" question, get stupid answers as the saying goes. Like my, "Don't fix what ain't broken"....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Ask a "stupid" question, get stupid answers as the saying goes. Like my, "Don't fix what ain't broken"....

There are times when "don't fix what ain't broke" or "keep doing what you're doing" certainly apply, like if a guy has been using 10W-30 HM and decides to try some 0W-16 for better mileage. A different oil filter isn't going to break the magic spell that got this Yukon to high miles. Probably as many cars get to 250k with an owner who has no clue what oil or filter has ever been used as cars that used the same oil and filter their whole life.

As long as you keep oil and a filter in and on the vehicle...your not going to loose the engine to a lack of lubrication.

The grade or filter type matters little as long as you adjust your oci accordingly

Originally Posted by Doublehaul

The grade or filter type matters little as long as you adjust your oci accordingly

Not entirely true. Some engines can be finicky when it comes to flow, even with a filter right out of the box. Kia/Hyundai engines for example are notorious for this.

But your broader point isn't lost on me; it's ok to experiment but I would just add that to put a little more thought than passing into your selection of filter.

Edit: full flow/OE filters are called out in Kia/Hyundai TSB's as a remedy for engine noise

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back