help me - 65" HDTV which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really leaning toward this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...07a84d8&pf_rd_r=6NJZEB4ST45DVT5FRC50

It looks amazing in the stores, and checks all my boxes. That is about the top of my budget as well.

Most of my concerns...
Must have a very fast processor, I hate the motion blurr on lower end TV's
My room is very bright during the day with lots of windows - must have good glare resistance
Used mostly for sports and movies
low concerns about internet features

Thank you!

I would buy the Sony 900 or 950 (last 3 numbers of the model) 950 is newer model - brings improved TV based sound - but most folks use a sound bar, and supposedly wider viewing angle.
Full array backlighting is the key feature on both.
Consistently great ratings.
I have a 75" Samsung right now, but I would go Sony next.

Last edited:
I probably wouldnt. But i dont have your budget.

I am an avid reader of 4ktv on reddit and also look at rtings.com

the TCL 6 series will be my next TV as of now.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r625-2019

Its about $1000 cheaper

If i wanted to spend $500 more i would probably go with the Sony XBR65X900F

OLED is coming out next year...and will probably blow everything currently out of the water... also HDMI 2.1

If you can wait another year lol.

But in the end no TV is perfect...if you like it buy it.. but i would buy local so that you can return/exchange it.

I'm a Sony guy. I've just learned their format and controller set up. I'm an older dog.

Originally Posted by Danno
I would buy the Sony 900 or 950 (last 3 numbers of the model) 950 is newer model - brings improved TV based sound - but most folks use a sound bar, and supposedly wider viewing angle.
Full array backlighting is the key feature on both.
Consistently great ratings.
I have a 75" Samsung right now, but I would go Sony next.

Sony guy here too! this is the one i'm looking at, XBR65X950G, gonna wait till Super Bowl weekend, that's when the prices really drop, got my current SONY 60" then.
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-X950G-65-Inch-XBR65X950G/dp/B07MW11QXT

I have a Samsung TV and can't recommend it enough. Excellent picture, decent enough sound (though I would like a sound bar), and it's gotten heavy use over 4 years with no issues. I liked it so much, in fact, that I got two Samsung monitors for my computer and have had the same experience (minus the sound- no built-in speakers) with them as well.

I am looking at the same size tv. You are looking at the upper end and for that money I think you can do better. For that money I would be looking at a Sony or LG OLED. That is the newer technology which will give better blacks and brightness. Also a killer for me is Samsung does not yet support ATMOS which if your going to hook it to a good soundbar or system is what you might want. Samsung does offer it on their bars but is not yet supported on the tvs. Atmos is available on the LG and Sony. If you dont step up to a OLED then I would save some money and buy a Sony 900 or 950 and save yourself a few hundred.

I just picked up a Samsung 55" Q60R to replace my older rs8000 that my son threw a ball into the screen. Very happy, and the remote was similar to the last one so that was an easy transition. Even fit the same remote control protective cover.

You know the good and bad asking a question like this?
You will get so many well meaning opinions that you will second guess the set you have picked out.
There is nothing wrong with all the suggestions you've gotten.
Turn away and pull the trigger on the Samsung.
There are 3 Samsung 4K T.V.'s in my family and they have all been great.

My opinion is that today you can't get a bad T.V. only a better one.

To the OP, those are nice TVs. If it fits your budget and you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I bought a used 65" Sharp LED TV last month on Kijiji for $200 Canadian. Thing is built like a tank. Non smart (just what I want) and looks good enough for me in my Mancave in the basement.

I'm deciding between the 65" Samsung Q90 or a 75" Sony X900F. I really like the Q90's OneConnect box that connects everything to the TV by one slim optical cable, but I wish it supported Dolby Vision.

This model have a very good rating in Consumer Reports, and Samsung is a reliable brand. It has 4 HDMI ports, but does not have the OneConnect feature (a separate connection box) so you might have to string all of your HDMI cables through your wall if you wall mount it. I would be very comfortable with it.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
+1 for TCL. We have a 65" 4 series and even that looks great.

+2. I have a 4 series 65 as well and I've been very pleased. I stared at it and the series 6 at best buy for a while and I didn't seen anything to warrant paying 30-50% more for..

Seems high.. in a year or 2 they will have tv's that make that one look like a $500 model.

For example samsung is going to switch to OLED soon. not their current backlit QLED.

obviously I'm not suggesting something like a
Element 65" 4K Roku Smart TV $279.97

but their is a ton of really nice tv out there in the $700-$1000 range..

I'm actually looking for a 65" for my futon room, The living room is a 6 year old samsung 55in and not bad at all but nothing great either.
(might put the new tv in living room and the current samsung in the futon room)

Also if anyone needs a GOOD SOLID double articulating wall mount for tv upto 100lb

HARBOR FREIGHT.. has amazing wall mounts for tv. $50 after coupon and its nicer than $150 mounts elsewhere.

Picture is a cheap 32" tv I had laying around.

Mount articulates side to side several feet. also tilts vertically and horizontally. only way it doesnt move is vertically.

Its sturdy I could hang on it if it was close to the wall.. install was easy with a long drill bit and good stud finder.

IMG_20190903_212003.jpg

Originally Posted by nwjones18

+2. I have a 4 series 65 as well and I've been very pleased. I stared at it and the series 6 at best buy for a while and I didn't seen anything to warrant paying 30-50% more for..

+3... Nothing but high praise and great value. Agreed!

I eliminated a ton of different TV models when I instituted looking at the sample TV at the store from a 45 degree angle about 10 feet away from the screen.

If the TV has a distorted pictured at 45 degrees & 10 feet distance, take it off your shopping list.

Originally Posted by JGmazda
Originally Posted by nwjones18

+3... Nothing but high praise and great value. Agreed!

+4. Have had a 65" 4 series for a year. Best $399 I've spent for a tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back