0-20 instead 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pick-up is a 2010, with 78,500 miles on it. The oil has been changed at 3,000 miles since new- an older owner such as myself. He always ran STP 5-30 since new with an STP filter. I suspect I will use Mobile 1 with a Fram Ultra filter when changing the oil. Thanks for your replies so far, does anyone know who makes the STP oil? It shouldn't hurt to go to synthetic at all.

Originally Posted by widetrax
Just bought a used truck, Nissan Frontier, and the dealer ''serviced'' it with 0-20 m.o. I thought about that,, looked in the book, and it calls for 5-30 m,o, Now with it being cold here, I really don't 'spect that will hurt anything, but I will change it to 5-30 in early spring, any thoughts on this, from anyone here?

Mississippi doesn't get cold enough to justify a 0w.

The dealer serviced your vehicle with the wrong oil. They are responsible for correcting their error.

I wouldn't run 0w-20 in a Frontier, especially since it has not been back spec'd.

I wouldn't put a 150-mile round trip on my vehicle to have them redo, but I would call and ask if they actually did put in that oil. Either way they should know about their mistake.

Drive it 4,000 miles, don't beat on it or accelerate too hard in that time frame, and change it to 5w30. No harm will come.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
...but I would call and ask if they actually did put in that oil.

If the service advisor thinks quick, he'll "assure" the OP that the technician put in the proper oil and it was a clerical error on the paperwork.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

If the service advisor thinks quick, he'll "assure" the OP that the technician put in the proper oil and it was a clerical error on the paperwork.

Yep.

I would say if it keeps you up at night worrying about it, drain the 0w-20 and refill with 5w-30. Leave the same filter assuming they replaced that. If you do it yourself, for about $20.00 you now have peace of mind for the next few months.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Yep.

The probable outcome for an experienced SA no matter what the truth is...the local Subie dealer did this to me twice with my FXT, gave me paperwork that said 0W20 had been used for a change.
I pointed this out to the SA each time and was rewarded with a totally blank look in return for a few seconds...followed by an assurance that 0W20 was just the default setting for the form and they MUST have used the correct grade of oil!!
Maybe they did...but, I had ZERO confidence that it was truly the case based upon the initial reaction I got.
I'm sure these guys were smart enough to realize the engine was unlikely to grenade on 0W20 and any rework was going to cut big into the profit margin for the day...

Originally Posted by widetrax
Just bought a used truck, Nissan Frontier, and the dealer ''serviced'' it with 0-20 m.o. I thought about that,, looked in the book, and it calls for 5-30 m,o, Now with it being cold here, I really don't 'spect that will hurt anything, but I will change it to 5-30 in early spring, any thoughts on this, from anyone here?

1st eastern miss is not cold in that 0w20 has no benefit in your region, and also that engine is old school and really is spec'd for 5w30. maybe a pita but tell that stupid dealer to put 5w30 back in it...

I'd let the dealer know and see what they offer if anything. They might say bring it back, they might say the next one is free, or they might say "Oh it's just a typo". I'd try and argue for some sort of credit to save the trip and time now. Either way it's not going to explode or destroy the engine.

I am one of the people who says they will never use a dealer for anything other than warranty work again... But then again I've told a service advisor not to rotate my directional snow tires only to have them rotated and the guy say with a plain face "there's no such thing as directional tires", then a week later the same oil change guy lifted my buddy's truck up by the side steps and dropped it... And had another advisor at a different dealer say there's nothing wrong with my transmission as I'm driving with him and it's slipping
lol.gif
. Either way I'd run it until spring and put in the 5W30 of your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back