Best Auto Heat/Defrost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys don't be so tough on the VW Beetle. My 1965 came from England and has special heater boxes that will heat you outta there. Just remember to crack open the vent window to allow the motor fan to push the warm air inside the car. If it can't get out it won't come in.

VW's latest 1.8T engines heat up super fast due to the cylinder head design and how it interfaces with the turbo. I can have good heat in a half mile or less from being parked outside overnight. Its literally way better than anything else i've ever driven as far as winter heat production.

Our 2014 Accord did have one neat feature. It would increase blower speed as the water temps came up so it didn't blow cold air on you.

The current whole family vehicle, our 2018 Regal TourX has a fantastic long range remote start so i can just fire it up a few mins before we get into it. Then it has heated seats and steering wheel and AWD so it really wins winter time even though the Golf can spit out heat a bit faster.

My Mark 2 1988 Jetta GLI 16v would have heat that could burn you and old R-12 Freon AC that would freeze the interior. Amazing climate control.

The worst has to be diesel anything truck and car for warm up of heat.

My wife's 2017 Rogue is horrible for creating a warm cabin, the engine itself warms up in a normal amount of time, but I always feel cold in this car. My 2013 Maxima is fine, gets comfy promptly. The old Flex is now better since I replaced one of the blend door actuators.

My Accord has amazing heat. Doesn't matter how cold it is, it gets up to oper. temp quickly and starts putting out warm air shortly after leaving my driveway.

No car has a better heater than an 80s Mercedes, especially the diesels, which is funny because they don't run particularly warm. My clk430 is also extremely potent, far better than my Honda and on par with either Lexus in my sig, Tundra is the absolute worst, AC in it ain't so great either

Last edited:
my 2016 frontier has a great heater. my old 1965 300 L had a bad heater. and in the summer once it got HOT or even OVER heated. it would not cool down till it sat over night.

Originally Posted by Audios
BMWs since the early 90s have had amazing heat. My roadside wagon, 95 5 series wagon, would have heat in 2 long blocks, maybe 1000 ft, same with our X3. Our GL has an aux heater that works really well right away. The worst is my Golf Tdi, the needle doesnt move for at least 2-3 miles. Some days, if theres traffic and the heats on, it wont even hit operating temp in my 5 mile commute. My cheapie plug in seat heat helps a lot.

Agreed. I put a rebuilt heater box in my 2002 and it pumped out hot air down to below 0F.
The heater in my TJ is also very effective.

Depending on how cold it is outside it can take a few mins for my Kia V6 to start cranking out heat but once it does it can actually get too hot in the cabin where I gotta turn it down or crack windows. No heater core issues here...

School buses. School buses seem like they never heat up. Especially the ones that have had the booster pumps removed, so there is 80 feet of heater hoses that go to two or three cheap floor heaters, pushed only by the engine water pump. By the time the coolant reaches them it's tepid again. MAYBE on a field trip the bus will actually be warm inside, but never really get warm on a daily route. In the winter, below 20 degrees, we have what's called the "cold crew". Mechanics and drivers come in about 4AM and start 150 buses. About 10% must be jumped and probably 25% need ether. Last winter was miserable, some mornings less than -10 degrees. The buses never fully heated up through morning routes.

Best I had was a F-250 pickup. I assumed it was because for guys that work outside, getting in the truck to run the heat or A/C on their breaks would need the relief quickly.

Always noticed the Fords I've been in have strong heat. GMs IMO have the best AC -when their compressors aren't turned into smithereens.

Toyotas aren't slouches either - especially the Prius. Prii use a thermos to hold warm coolant on the 2002-2009 cars and a exhaust heat recovery system on the 2010-current cars. The goal is to reduce hydrocarbon emissions from a cold start, but it also helps preheat the cooling system. There are also two PTC elements in the heater core, which help keep the cabin warm when the ICE isn't running.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
School buses. School buses seem like they never heat up. Especially the ones that have had the booster pumps removed, so there is 80 feet of heater hoses that go to two or three cheap floor heaters, pushed only by the engine water pump. By the time the coolant reaches them it's tepid again. MAYBE on a field trip the bus will actually be warm inside, but never really get warm on a daily route. In the winter, below 20 degrees, we have what's called the "cold crew". Mechanics and drivers come in about 4AM and start 150 buses. About 10% must be jumped and probably 25% need ether. Last winter was miserable, some mornings less than -10 degrees. The buses never fully heated up through morning routes.

I was under the impression school buses operating in the Rust Belt have block heaters or auxillary heaters like a Webasto? Here in a more temperate part of California, the two major transit agencies didn't order AC with their buses until OSHA came down on one and the other saw adding on all-electric HVAC on their hybrid buses and their newest trolley fleet as chump change. One thing I will say, even on a "cold" San Francisco night in the low 40s, those buses had strong heat. Since both of them now order Thermo King bus HVAC, they don't use baseboard heaters with booster pumps but pipe hot coolant into the coil/fan units.

My 335 kicks the fan up as soon as I put some throttle on as I get onto an interstate about 1 mile away from my house. That's about the only throttle the car sees all day, since it's right into traffic from there. My iron block m54 engines would take another mile to get the same heat. The never warmed up in my 10 minute commute.

My Golf TDI has a electric heater that comes on when you set it to defrost even when the car is ice cold. I understand they do this because the diesel engine takes a long time to produce heat. They should put them in more vehicles though, its really nice to have instant warm ( not hot, just warm) air on those super cold mornings. Takes the bite out of the cold cabin until the engine warms up and can produce heat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back