Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Coils are not wear items to be replaced at regular intervals
smile.gif

"Replacing them is cheap insurance"
"I don't want a failed one to leave me stranded"

Standard responses one might expect....
crazy2.gif

I always wonder, do people replace working alternators as preventative maintenance ? Starters ? Light bulbs ?

Since acquiring my car &100K miles (165K on it now a 18 months later), I have proactively replaced the following:
- Alternator (not replaced yet but purchased and waiting on shelf for first available opportunity)
- Stop, Turn, and Tail light bulbs (4057 x 6)
- Parking and Turn Signal bulbs (3057 NA x 2)
- Side Marker bulbs (??? x 2)
- Headlight bulbs (2 low beam and 2 high beam; twice each)
- License Plate light bulb (??? x 1)
- Door sill light bulbs (same as license plate light x 2)
- Dome light bulb (white one, not red one - that's an LED strip)
- Main Battery (H7 @ 850 CCA)
- O2 sensors (all 4)
- IAT sensor
- ECT sensor
- Water Pump and idler pulleys
- MAP sensor
- PCV valve (twice)
- Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor

It never dawned on me to replace the starter though, thanks for the heads-up!!

I really don't understand why you would change all that stuff for no reason? Seems like a waste of money. And inevitably something that you haven't touched will fail or one of the parts you installed will fail making that a waste of time and money.

It seems presumptive to say I had no reason. I actually had the best reason of all - I wanted to.

I replaced parts that were 6 years old and had 100K miles on them with new parts. I can't connect that scenario with wasting money when every one of the parts will eventually fail. Maybe when I'm driving it, maybe not. I prefer to leave it less to chance they will inconvenience me by failing at an inopportune time and lower those odds as much as possible.

Your final assertion of that reply doesn't compute, so I cannot address it.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by The_Nuke

Since acquiring my car &100K miles (165K on it now a 18 months later), I have proactively replaced the following:
- Alternator (not replaced yet but purchased and waiting on shelf for first available opportunity)
- Stop, Turn, and Tail light bulbs (4057 x 6)
- Parking and Turn Signal bulbs (3057 NA x 2)
- Side Marker bulbs (??? x 2)
- Headlight bulbs (2 low beam and 2 high beam; twice each)
- License Plate light bulb (??? x 1)
- Door sill light bulbs (same as license plate light x 2)
- Dome light bulb (white one, not red one - that's an LED strip)
- Main Battery (H7 @ 850 CCA)
- O2 sensors (all 4)
- IAT sensor
- ECT sensor
- Water Pump and idler pulleys
- MAP sensor
- PCV valve (twice)
- Crankshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor

It never dawned on me to replace the starter though, thanks for the heads-up!!

I really don't understand why you would change all that stuff for no reason? Seems like a waste of money. And inevitably something that you haven't touched will fail or one of the parts you installed will fail making that a waste of time and money.

In addition if he is using aftermarket parts they may be a step backwards in reliability and function.

Maybe, maybe not.

If you have some real-life data points to point to that says my new parts will provide less function or life than the replaces parts, I would very much like to check them out.

So far, nothing has failed prematurely, except maybe some of the incandescent bulbs. But those were less of a failure and more of me wanting to try something different.

Also, the parts' expected lifetime may very well be less than what brand new OE parts could provide, but I question the necessity of buying parts guaranteed to last 200K miles when it is highly unlikely I will still have the car 200K miles after putting them on.

Sometimes good enough is just that, and better than good enough is actually of no extra value.

My beloved 2002 Toyota Tacoma had original coil packs with 190K. Three packs on one side with wires coming off the packs to run the other cylinders. Replaced the boots and leads once.

My wife's beloved 2008 CRV had original coil packs at 180K. No issues.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Coils are not wear items to be replaced at regular intervals
smile.gif

"Replacing them is cheap insurance"
"I don't want a failed one to leave me stranded"

Standard responses one might expect....
crazy2.gif

I always wonder, do people replace working alternators as preventative maintenance ? Starters ? Light bulbs ?

Only on BMW's.
grin.gif

For the record for some BMWs the coil packs I have a service interval of 100k miles. I guess BMW figures the boots will have given up the ghost due to the heat and a leaking valve cover gasket.

I currently own and/or handle the maintenance on the following vehicles:
28 year old Accord with 211k miles, factory original coil
26 year old Ford Explorer with 225k miles, factory original coil
26 year old Ford Bronco with 226k miles, factory original coil
All of the other vehicles in my sig also have their factory original coils, but their ages/mileage aren't high enough to be noteworthy.

The coils will get replaced only if and when they fail.

Yesterday I replaced the 3 original coils on Sue's beloved 2006 TSX. 194K on the clock...
One coil failed 2 months ago throwing a code and rendering the car undriveable.
This was for the remaining 3 coils...
I used Delphi coils, about $33 each at Amazon, based on great advice from this forum.

The result is smooth as slik engine, better startup in the 45* freezing early morning air and restored power.
Definitely an noticible improvement. I am sure the MPG will improve. A little anyways...
So I believe these ignition coils are wear items.
When? Perhaps 150K to 180K.
Would the TSX continue to run great with the old coils? Probably, but not like this.
I like to keep my cars up to snuff as best as I can.

That's my experience and 2 cents.

Last edited:
I replaced all 8 on my Mustang when I had one causing a misfire, just about all of them had fine cracks in the end of the boots so it was probably time. I figure if one is giving me a problem, the rest aren't far behind, but I wouldn't replace them if I wasn't having a problem to begin with.

Originally Posted by Anduril
I replaced all 8 on my Mustang when I had one causing a misfire, just about all of them had fine cracks in the end of the boots so it was probably time. I figure if one is giving me a problem, the rest aren't far behind, but I wouldn't replace them if I wasn't having a problem to begin with.

That's basically my story.
What was your mileage at the time? Cost to replace?

My 09 Suburban has 181,000 miles on it and all eight original coils. I have changed the plugs and wires a couple of times. Truck runs silky smooth.

In the past, I always used Accel or MSD coils on my cars. I think every one of them ended up getting replaced with an OEM coil that never ever gave me any trouble.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
My 09 Suburban has 181,000 miles on it and all eight original coils. I have changed the plugs and wires a couple of times. Truck runs silky smooth.

In the past, I always used Accel or MSD coils on my cars. I think every one of them ended up getting replaced with an OEM coil that never ever gave me any trouble.

I have the original coil in the '68 Vette. The points, not so much.
I agree OEM is the way to go.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Anduril

That's basically my story.
What was your mileage at the time? Cost to replace?

I was at 110k but 16 years old. I used Motorcraft coils from RockAuto, just dug up the receipt and it looks like they were $30 each.

Did similar with my daughter's Ford Escape V6. Bought new coils for the 3 under the intake manifold as the cylinder throwing the misfire code was under the manifold. Just changed the plugs on the three in front. (Spending her money, so I gave her the option.)

The vehicle had over 160k on it and I believe still had the factory plugs and coils.

If she gets a code on the front bank, it's a 10 minute job to replace the coil. On the back,it's an hour or so to pull the manifold (the first time, I'm sure
we could do it quicker now) then probably another hour to change the coils, plugs and put it back on.

It made no sense to just change one coil as time is worth something. Not to mention we changed all the gaskets we disturbed while working, so it's false economy to just change one.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
One went on wifey's 2006 TSX at about 190K.
About 15 miles from home and Silicon Valley traffic aint for the faint of heart.
It threw a code for #1 cylinder coil.
It has been replaced; I will replace the other 3 using a brand recommended by this forum.

This is the 1st time this car has broken down.
At 150K you should be OK, but my advice is, if you have any question, replace them.
Cheaper than a tow and shop repair.
Perhaps someone smarter than me knows how to test them beyond good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back