Oscillating tool experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one and how does it do with wood?

I am in the middle of replacing the utility doors on my pole barn and come to find out, the opening is 1/2" too short. Structurally, the board that's in the way does absolutely nothing. The siding on the barn looks to be sized correctly thankfully.

Aside from one of these, I can't think of a tool for the job. I can't use a reciprocating saw because I am not steady with them and there's metal sheeting on the other side.

I'll get some photos up tonight.

Maybe a circular saw set to a certain depth? That should get most of the cut. The rest would be finished with a hammer and chisel.

Here's some photos. Sorry if the orientation is wrong.

59E45019-A060-4375-A4BC-CEFB6F009379.jpeg

048C460E-B909-45DD-9452-6B7E819B45E4.jpeg

That would be an awfully long and deep rip for an oscillating tool, not that it couldn't be done. I think Kestas is on the right track. Drill about a 1 inch radius hole at each end. Set your circular saw depth of cut 1 3/8 and rip away to connect the holes. If that is a 2x girt, you should be clear of the steel siding. Then just run up your 2 vertical cuts into the radius holes. You could probably snap it out at this point or now use the oscillating saw to finish it off. You'll need to retrim the drip edge to the new height and frame out the header some but not a big deal. Or buy a board shrinker.

Agree, you will be there all day with an oscillating tool and making it look decent is going to be quite a chore. Yes I have one and yes it is great on wood, but IMO it isn't the tool for that job.

Agree Circular saw is probably the ticket.

Don't suppose you can take the inch off the bottom of the door and frame?

Last edited:
I agree a battery powered circular saw would be best. I have a Dewalt 20v saw and it's much easier to use since it's much lighter. The oscillating tool will drive you bonkers on this type of work.

I've had a Dremel Oscillating tool (corded that I used on a ton of baseboard when installing bamboo flooring). Now I have the Dewalt 20V Oscillating tool. They have their place, but not for this type of work.

Is that a 2x4 or 2x6 you need to cut? Picture doesn't indicate. Is the exterior Metal siding? Can you remove the siding and restructure the framing? IMO that would be the best bet. I would not want to be compromising structure of 2x4s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Would a circular saw be able to get it flush against the post?

No, you'll have to do that with a chisel or that is a spot where the oscillating tool would work very well (Dewalt 20v Max Brushless BTW), it is just the long rip that is going to be difficult or impossible with the OT.

Well I bought a Dewalt to use for this weekend and my wife told me I had to return it because that's what I'm getting for Christmas.

Ouch. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back