Worn hydro gear or linkage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought a Husqvarna 1542XP lawn tractor with the Kawi FH430V brand new about 12 years ago. Has the fender mounted lever for the hydro gear and has performed very well.

Hour meter just hit 1200 hrs and we've noticed a little bit of play in the linkage. Couple days ago the linkage had a good 2 inches of play for and aft and I cannot see anywhere that the linkage is severely worn or bent. Naturally the forward and backward travel of the lawn tractor is affected and doesn't want to move very fast at times.

Belt is new as of a month ago with no issues with pulleys, springs etc...just the sloppy linkage in the control lever.

Could this be internal or are there other symptoms?

Not sure what the telltale signs of a worn gear is.

So if you physically grab the shaft on the transaxle itself, it has a large amount of play in either direction?

Originally Posted by JTK
So if you physically grab the shaft on the transaxle itself, it has a large amount of play in either direction?

No, that linkage is tight. I did pull the transaxle so I could change the original oil @ 1200 hrs. With doing that, I believe I found the culprit.

This linkage had about 1/16" or slightly more, of play on each side.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The total so 1/8" - 3/16" total play translated to about 2" at the handle. I trust this is the only issue.

I ordered the bar and the two bolts, but will change out the oil anyway.

Debating M1 15W-50 or M1 V-Twin 20W-50...or other options.

Last edited:
Wow! That linkage is wallowed out for sure. Good find.

Either of those 50wts would be a wise choice IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back