What oil would a rototiller like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an old Troy Bilt horse w/7HP cast iron Kohler engine. Sometime when you're tilling deep the engine is almost at a 45 degree angle.

The manual calls out a straight 30 wt and the only synthetic I found in that weight is Royal Purple.

Is this a wise choice? Is there a better one?

i just rebuilt one of those Kohler 7hp on a troybuilt. that engine heavy!!
i just use chevron 30w
dont know on royal purple
mobil 1 synthetic 10w-40 is also common to use

I use Amsoil HD Marine Synthetic 15W-40 in my 7hp Troybuilt. Works great - makes no sense using a straight 30W, especially tilling on those chilly mornings...1

Stay Far away from Royal Purple oil's. RP shows bore polishing on their site as a result of useing their oil. I am guessing that they thought this would be a cool shot to put up on their site. Bore polishing is bad. I am guessing that they thought no one would notice. They also will not answere any technical questions about their product. Their street oils are not even 100% synthetic but they still charge a premium for them. Their race oils are not recommended for street use. I belive Amsoil, Neo and Redline make single weight oils but I do not know if they make them with full additive package or if they are just for raceing. I would imagine that a synthetic 10W30 would do just fine!

Hi, First Post.

If you are wanting to use a multigrade oil then only use a synthetic either 5w30 or 10w30, otherwise use a 30w that is designed for this type of motor. Generally needs to be fairly high in detergents. I wouldn't use a mineral multigrade.

Check out the Briggs and stratton site under maintenance/ types of oil. Until recently they recommended nothing but 30w. Penrite 30 grade is fairly good non synthetic. web page

Kohler recommendations in Check-Chart call for 10w30 or 10w40 in the overhead valve engines
and 30wt (above freezing) in the L-head engines (multigrade below freezing) with a note that the use of multigrades "may result in increased oil consumption and deposits".

AMSOIL makes an SAE 30 synthetic (ACD). Smallest bottle is 1 gallon.
Although labelled as a 30, were one to measure at lower temperatures, it would likely test as a 15W-30. You could use any decent xW-30 synthetic.

I use either Amsoil 15W40 AME or Schaeffer's #700 15W40 due to their additive packages.

My Kohler is a K161 from the late 60's and still running.

JohnBrowning,
Where does it show BORE Polishing for Royal Purple? Their website show a bearing magnified to show the finish on the metal. RP allows only the tips of the peaks to be "Flattened", because they are thicker than the film, and nothing more. The other bearing shows massive wear. There is no Bore Polishing. If you examine the bearing in a Timken test, it shows wear, under load. It is the size of the scar, the load, and the amps, that determine the OK #. If you look at the scar under a microscope, this is what you see. RP has great film strength, as do other oils.
How do you know the base oil for their products is not synthetic.
If you want info on their oils, please feel free to e mail me and we can discuss it.

davefr

I have never seen a voa on John Deere's 30 weight oil. However, if its made like the JD 0w-40 or 15w-40 its got a real HD additive package that includes some moly.

I my self use the Schaeffer's #700 15w-40 in my one lung engines with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back