school me on Interior house paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to paint the interior of my house, I was planning to use ppg/glidden. Priced benjamin moore and sherwin williams and they are rather pricey. Do they really justify their added cost.

Yes. I used to paint with $15 a gallon paint... and it is truly "you get what you pay for".

The cheap paint is like watery, skim milk. The pricier paint is like half and half. The premium stuff is like whipping cream.

I don't buy paint that is less than $30 a gallon anymore. Watch for sales and rebates. You can get the premium stuff for a lot less, if you time it right.

You get what you pay for I used Glidden in my rentals years ago never would cover with one coat. Benjamin Moore is all I use any moore pun intended. Used it in my family room 8 years ago and it still looks great.

I know nothing about house painting except for the fact that I've helped several people paint interiors of offices and rooms in their homes and the good, expensive paint is always more pleasant to apply.

TBH, my dad was able to cover over Pepto-Bismol pink and a deep red with two coats of Glidden just a few weeks ago - it doesn't look half bad. PPG revitalized Glidden, they were seen as a [censored] child by ICI and AkzoNobel. Home Depot pushes Behr - it's the house brand made by the makers of Kilz, Masco. Behr is actually pretty durable but isn't that colorfast, Ultra and Marquee seem to do better than Premium Plus. If it's an white/off-white and go with Behr you should be OK.

I like Kelly-Moore or Ben Moore, the latter has the edge in colors. The stuff I do in Kelly-Moore still looks great, I got my dad to use Ben Moore's Regal Select 6 years ago and it still looks like new. Never used SW. BM is pricey but time is money as well.

Last edited:
if you are painting a lot of the same color, may I suggest a Wagner Sidekick? Works great for big jobs. Here is a cut n paste from my old post:

I had to repaint my 4 bedroom rental and decided to try this powered paint roller. In 10 hours, I did all the rolling in a 1000 square foot townhouse. I still have to cut in the corners with a brush, but 10 hours in one day was enough. The painter worked perfectly except for one "user caused" problem. You MUST strain the paint before use. Tiny particles that you would not notice with a brush and roller can clog the internal passages. Most paint stores sell a mesh bag strainer that goes into an empty 5 gallon bucket. Dump the paint in, lift out the strainer and discard. done.

This is not good for small jobs as cleanup takes about 30 minutes. It is the perfect tool for painting a whole house. I used an off white for everything and 7 gallons completed the job. Cleanup is easy with latex paint, as you put the roller and the intake in a bucket of soapy water and just let the pump run.

Cost about $62 on amazon.

If you can wait, Sherwin usually runs 40% off sometimes, not sure if they are running it in December, though.
It pushed it in the affordable territory cheaper than HD's paint.

Kelly-Moore is a good price point. Paint like Benjamin Moore is better, but you gotta pay.
If you can find someone with a contractor license you can save some money, I believe.

Good luck.

Paint is the cheap part, labor is the expensive part, even if you do it.

Buy the high end Behr at Home Depot.

Purdy paint brushes. Quality roller covers.

Get lots of light to paint in. Prep walls well or it will show.

Learn how to "cut" if you are not good at it.

If you are not in a hurry, sign up for Sherwin-Williams "Paint Perks" program. You will receive notices of their sales. 30% off about every 4-6 weeks and 40% off about every 3 months, or so.

Their paint is excellent, and the sales make it much less pricey.

I had my custom home painted with Benjamin Moore. Benjamin Moore uses their own colorants called Gennex, not the universal colorants you'd get in a $17 or a $50 can of paint in Home Depot or Walmart, Lowes... .
Some think Benjamin Moore paint has a better look to it, I agree.

I did paint my parents lake house interior with PPG Manor Hall bought at an actual PPG paint store. Great paint but it doesn't have the color pop BM has.
In fact, I highly recommend PPG Manor Hall from a PPG paint store if your not a self centered snob like me. https://www.justaddpaint.net/ppg-manor-hall-paint-review

This YouTube channel has helped me a lot. He has well over 150 videos, so you'll need to type in the search "how to cut in ceilings" as an example.
https://www.youtube.com/user/idahopainters

an N of 1 here - but I am planning to repaint some trim I did with Sherwin Williams paint about 3 months ago. I'll probably go with Ben Moore.

It's too bad, because you can find pretty good discounts on the SW paint around major holidays.

Behr seems really thick, but consumer reports and many seem to like it.

Go with what the pros say - but the Idaho painter youtube channel is great.

Originally Posted by Trav
PM Demarpaint, he is a pro and knows everything about house paint and how to apply it.

+1 has helped me on several projects. His advice and recommendations have been spot on!!

I've never had a problem covering over a previous color using Behr Ultra. You get what you pay for, and I'll pay $30/gallon to only paint the room once.

Originally Posted by raaizin
going to paint the interior of my house, I was planning to use ppg/glidden. Priced benjamin moore and sherwin williams and they are rather pricey. Do they really justify their added cost.

As with most things you get what you pay for. I rather work smarter, not harder. Cheap paint doesn't cover well, and doesn't last as long. Having said that you don't have to pay $80 a gallon for B. Moore Aura paint either. If you decide to go with B. Moore use their Select series paint. I'm not a fan of Sherwin Williams paints. Some of the Behr Paints are actually pretty good, their Marquee paints are good. Many of the better paints claim to be self priming, to a degree they are, but they will not hold back water stains, or nicotine staining, for that type of situation you need a dedicated primer.

If you have any specific questions fire away.

When we bought our current home the previous owner didn't leave any touch up paint for the walls or trim. I cut a small patch from inside a closet to take and try to get a color match. After several trial and errors from Home Depot, they finally created a color that was pretty close, to the point I would use it for touch up. So I went back to Home Depot to get a gallon to keep on hand. Now keep in mind they are the ones that came up with the formula to begin with. They for some reason could not make me a gallon of paint, with the very formula they created in the first place. Several of their paint department employees tried to no avail. Frustrated I took my sample patch to a Sherwin Williams store much closer to home. They created a paint sample that matched our existing wall paint perfectly. I ended buying eight gallons of it since it was on sale and repainted the whole interior of our home. I've always used the premium Behr paint from Home Depot and had decent results with it but the Sherwin Williams paint blew the Behr offerings out of the water. I've never tried Benjamin Moore. There aren't any Porter Paint stores any where close to where we live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back