Copper ATF Washers for Toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered some automatic transmission gaskets for my toyota and lexus. It says they are OEM and are copper. Is this correct? My old ones were aluminum. I thought I read somewhere not to put copper up against aluminum.
35178-30010 part number

My old BMWs use copper oem drain plug gaskets against aluminum pans and transmission cases, no problems. I heard that copper is softer than aluminum so it should be used with aluminum pans and cases.

Don't quote me, but I seem to remember bad things happening when Aluminum and Copper "meet".........something akin to galvanic corrosion.

Wait......disregard. Isn't the Transmission pan steel?

Last edited:
Copper touching aluminum is only a problem in the presence of an electrolyte. If your car is like mine, there is an everpresence of oil around the drain plugs, excluding the electrolyte.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Copper touching aluminum is only a problem in the presence of an electrolyte.

Yes, I am well aware of that. I was referencing that the external plug of the pan would be subject to debris on the road, Road Salt in the Winter being one of them, which as we know does contain compounds (magnesium, calcium,potassium) that in theory will act as an electrolyte.
But like I stated, it's a moot point as I believe the pan is made of steel.

I just bought some of these as well.
The two that are on my 06 Tundra are not copper. I guess steel or aluminum.
All of the images that I see online are silver not copper.
I went to the dealer and the ones that they have in stock are not copper.
Does anyone know if these are OEM? Maybe old stock? Safe to use?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back