Is valve lash adjustment included with piston r&r?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 MDX has been approved by Acura for a warranty repair to remedy excessive oil consumption. The repair includes replacing all six pistons and rings.

Question is, would this procedure necessitate a valve adjustment when reassembling the head? Wanting to know before the dealer tries to double dip by selling me the "additional" service.

Hard to say. You'd have to ask them, but I doubt it.

Pretty good job getting them to cover something that far out of warranty.

Originally Posted by ljbrandt
My 2011 MDX has been approved by Acura for a warranty repair to remedy excessive oil consumption. The repair includes replacing all six pistons and rings.

Question is, would this procedure necessitate a valve adjustment when reassembling the head? Wanting to know before the dealer tries to double dip by selling me the "additional" service.

Why would the heads come apart?

Off - yes, apart no.

Pistons and rings are the bottom end and heads are the top end.

UD

Heads have to come off to remove the pistons. Different head gasket thickness will make readjusting the valves a for sure at no extra charge. The only way this would not be right is if the engine is a overhead valve type. Then the heads would just be remove and replace with new head gaskets. Depending on the miles and what your going to do with it (keep or sell it) maybe a valve job too, but that's up to you.

those look like screw-type adjusters, & Honda usually calls for clearance check at every 17,500 miles on non-hydraulic camshafts.
If it were mine, I suppose head re-install time would also be clearance check time before the covers go back on......but it isn't 'required'.
Just a while-you-are-there type of service. YMMV.

A new head gasket (and therefore valve lash check/adjust) is mandatory after the piston and ring work because the standard way is to access the pistons from above after the head is removed. One does not reuse the old head gasket.

Last edited:
Well, some don't know how dealer mechanics operate. If you don't have the cam or any rockers in the way of removing the head bolts, the mechanic will set the cams to T.D.C. and remove the heads. Won't ever touch the valves unless he got paid flag time to adjust valves, or there is a ticker. Valves should be adjusted, and new timing belt too if its anywhere past 60/70k on timing belt.

Not a mechanic, but some of you must think they are some sort of charity, or like doing work they wont be paid for? If the head just needs to come off, then tossed back on, there is no way those valves will be adjusted unless its in the work order and they are paid their deserved shop time to do it. If rockers need to be removed to get to a couple head bolts, then those are probably the only ones that will be adjusted.

additionally, being an overhead cam engine, head gaskets or otherwise R&R'ing the head will in no way affect the lash adjustments

Mechanics aren't like a DIY'er that thinks like... huh, while im in there I might as well as take care of this, this, and this... If mechanics did that they would find themselves working 50 hours a week and only getting paid for 35, and quickly out of a job, not sure how many of you would be ok with that?

Last edited:
This.

On the other hand, if the book says 3 hours to adjust valves and replace timing belt, but with everything already exposed by the piston and valve job, it will take 1 hour additional, it is not fair to charge for the entire 3 hours, but most all of the mechanics do.
I see the mechanics point, they often have to repair a broken stuck bolt and flat rate does not pay for that either. But this was not MY broken stuck bolt. The system is not ideal.

Rod

Last edited:
The op can expect to have ONLY the warranted parts replaced and nothing will be touched that isnt a part of that- and he is getting an awesome deal at that.

Once that engine is open that is the time for him to update anything else - new timing belt water pump valve adjustment plugs etcetera.

With any kind of good relationship the dealer will give him a smoking deal on all that and he can drive away with as fresh an engine as can be had.

If he and the dealer "had at it" up until this point maybe the deal won't be so great.

UD

Thanks to all for the info. From the responses, it seems as though the answer is: the valve adjustment should be done, but probably won't be (unless paid for).

The link "the Critic" posted doesn't mention anything explicitly about adjusting the valves.

With over 200k on the engine, I guess I can't complain.

OHC? solid lifters? With a a head R+R, the valve lash should be checked.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back