deep fake concerns - a question to you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by LazyDog
I stop watching the news a long time. If I need something just a click away.

+1
If I want to know what's going on in the world, I simply watch a few episodes of South Park.
There they've condensed the worlds important topics into a comedic fashion that's far more palatable (and funny).

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by LazyDog
I stop watching the news a long time. If I need something just a click away.

+1
If I want to know what's going on in the world, I simply watch a few episodes of South Park.
There they've condensed the worlds important topics into a comedic fashion that's far more palatable (and funny).

It's funny that the number 1 purveyor of fake stories is gaslighting its readers about fakes.

My Dad taught me to question the sources,and at least watch a few different (biasses) in newscasts, and try and work out the middle...I threw in Alternative media to the mix as well, and it served me well.

I've been interviewed before, and when played or read, was completely misrepresented,and using my own words.

I've a good friend who was a great journo, and pulled that out of her career, as the corporate office took her editorial priivilige away on certain topics (think 1996 Australia).

I got a little bit freaked a few years ago when I went to do my tax, and the tax office wanted voice recognition for identification, as a "new,more secure" alternative to pins and passwords...same day as others were announcing that they had mastered the ability to replicate voices after hearing a few sentences...that's the scary part.

Soif the intent has ALWAYS been to misrepresent issues to the polarity of the reporting medium...using my words, out of context and order was one thing.

But now if they can replicate ME, and my voice, and create videos of me in places that I never was, and pass that off as fact...and as we see often, there's a zero tolrerance policy for many employers bringing the company into disrepute...

graphics companies like NVIDIA are making reality virtual...

@Shannow the local rag ran a story quite a few years ago that I was very well aware of and 50% was imaginary stuff (lay people would call it lies) and the other 50% was misrepresented. And it wasn't even a controversial story, just reporting on events.

It will happen eventually, computer animation and voice indistinguishable from the real person, but nothing they've come up with so far is anywhere near indistinguishable except if you degrade the video very badly to try to cover that up. It's that last 5% that they're stumbling on and will take a very long time to perfect, but that 5% is a dead giveaway if you have HQ video. Voice, yes voice is almost there, given enough manual tweaking to generate a specific outcome rather than on the fly.

I don't think it will change things much. We're aware of it happening and when it reaches the level of being a real risk of faking reality, we'll already be weary of sources and intentions as we already are with biased fake news and selective rejection of facts.

It's definitely certain that the "official mass media" is no more trustworthy than the random online alternative media source.

The only possible outcome from an escalating problem is a "hard reset", when either the populous will grow weary of automation and convenience and finally take back control of their own lives, or....

We will be forced to.

Have you seen the movie Wall-E? It's very predictive.

It can only go so far until we destroy ourselves with our intelligence and conveniences. Some day, probably not in our lifetimes, the world will be forced to simplify.

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Some day, probably not in our lifetimes, the world will be forced to simplify.

The movie "Idiocracy" is a crystal ball into the path of society.

The only possible outcome from an escalating problem is a "hard reset", when either the populous will grow weary of automation and convenience and finally take back control of their own lives, or....

We will be forced to.

It can only go so far until we destroy ourselves with our intelligence and conveniences. Some day, probably not in our lifetimes, the world will be forced to simplify.

Exactly. Most people don't realize that these "conveniences" make humanity tend towards being lazy, and ignorant. Very dangerous in the long run. Human beings NEED to
struggle a bit, it keeps us sharp intellectually, and mentally, and of course the requirement for regular physical exertion keeps our bodies healthy.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

We will be forced to.

Exactly. Most people don't realize that these "conveniences" make humanity tend towards being lazy, and ignorant. Very dangerous in the long run. Human beings NEED to
struggle a bit, it keeps us sharp intellectually, and mentally, and of course the requirement for regular physical exertion keeps our bodies healthy.

Completely agree. This is a reason I Crossfit. And eat very clean. And fix my own house and cars. I also have two goats and a chicken I raised in the freezer at the moment. I've already simplified to a degree.

So in summation, and to answer your question, OP, all you can do to protect yourself and your family is to take control of your life completely, whatever that means to you.

In my opinion.

Last edited:
^^^^ Only the Boomas that have been zombieized, lol.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Deepfake magic only works on Boomers.

I know I shouldn't but......‚

[Linked Image]

Was wondering when that would happen. I was born in ‘81 BTW. In case anyone was curious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
... I've been interviewed before, and when played or read, was completely misrepresented,and using my own words.

... But now if they can replicate ME, and my voice, and create videos of me in places that I never was, and pass that off as fact...

I, too, have been misrepresented in print. And it's hard to get the "facts" corrected afterward.

Also, Shannow, you seem to get my concern.

DEEP FAKE is a threat at every level, especially if combined with the topic of AI. What kind of world are we creating where machines will think for us, and speak for us?

Deep Fake has the risk at international levels; it can cause panic, disbelief, unfounded belief, etc which could result in wars. (hopefully calmer heads would prevail)
Deep Fake has risks at national levels; it can cause panic, disbelief, unfounded belief, etc which can result in corporate decisions which become life altering. (companies perceive that condition "Q" may or may not exist, and react because public perception of a fake event drives the company to either alter course to survive, or start firing people to protect against perceived lawsuits, etc.)
Deep Fake has risks at local levels; it can cause "people" to seem biased, stupid, racist, etc. It can also be used in purporting crimes against others. It can be used as a bullying technique. Etc.

I am less concerned about international issues than I am of local ones. Someone can fake my voice and cause me to seem something I'm not, say something I never said.

The point is that tech has always found a way to be "better" at things; better in this case being defined as so difficult to tell make-believe from reality. At some point, it will be indistinguishable to the common man as to whom really said what, and where it happened, if at all.

Perhaps I arrest someone, and they later deep fake me by producing a video of me using the "N" word, and suddenly my job is in jeopardy.
Perhaps you cut someone off in traffic, and they deep fake you by producing a video of you engaged in child seduction; you job, your marriage, your family and friend relationships all now at least at risk.
Perhaps my daughter dates a guy and they break up; he deep fakes a very unflattering video of her. That's doesn't have consequences at her work, in her social circles?
Perhaps at work, you have a nemesis that is able to deep fake you committing an error which causes you to lose a promotion?
And the corollary is also true; someone can truly commit a heinous act, and claim plausible deniability based on their assertion of the event being a deep fake.

Again, the presumption of this conversation is that deep fake is going to be so good in the very near future, so very real appearing, that it will be difficult if not impossible to know what was truly said; what truly happened. THAT is what scares me. Deep Fake combined with AI might very well lead to implosion of life at all levels. Up until now, we've relied on technology to help us solve problems; to answer questions and sustain facts. But now, tech will be able to create an alternate reality so believable that no one can tell what truly happened unless you were also standing there when "it" happened. And even if you were there when "it" happened, they'll just deep fake your statement also!

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by Shannow
... I've been interviewed before, and when played or read, was completely misrepresented,and using my own words.

... But now if they can replicate ME, and my voice, and create videos of me in places that I never was, and pass that off as fact...

I, too, have been misrepresented in print. And it's hard to get the "facts" corrected afterward.

Also, Shannow, you seem to get my concern.

DEEP FAKE is a threat at every level, especially if combined with the topic of AI. What kind of world are we creating where machines will think for us, and speak for us?

Deep Fake has the risk at international levels; it can cause panic, disbelief, unfounded belief, etc which could result in wars. (hopefully calmer heads would prevail)
Deep Fake has risks at national levels; it can cause panic, disbelief, unfounded belief, etc which can result in corporate decisions which become life altering. (companies perceive that condition "Q" may or may not exist, and react because public perception of a fake event drives the company to either alter course to survive, or start firing people to protect against perceived lawsuits, etc.)
Deep Fake has risks at local levels; it can cause "people" to seem biased, stupid, racist, etc. It can also be used in purporting crimes against others. It can be used as a bullying technique. Etc.

I am less concerned about international issues than I am of local ones. Someone can fake my voice and cause me to seem something I'm not, say something I never said.

The point is that tech has always found a way to be "better" at things; better in this case being defined as so difficult to tell make-believe from reality. At some point, it will be indistinguishable to the common man as to whom really said what, and where it happened, if at all.

Perhaps I arrest someone, and they later deep fake me by producing a video of me using the "N" word, and suddenly my job is in jeopardy.
Perhaps you cut someone off in traffic, and they deep fake you by producing a video of you engaged in child seduction; you job, your marriage, your family and friend relationships all now at least at risk.
Perhaps my daughter dates a guy and they break up; he deep fakes a very unflattering video of her. That's doesn't have consequences at her work, in her social circles?
Perhaps at work, you have a nemesis that is able to deep fake you committing an error which causes you to lose a promotion?
And the corollary is also true; someone can truly commit a heinous act, and claim plausible deniability based on their assertion of the event being a deep fake.

Again, the presumption of this conversation is that deep fake is going to be so good in the very near future, so very real appearing, that it will be difficult if not impossible to know what was truly said; what truly happened. THAT is what scares me. Deep Fake combined with AI might very well lead to implosion of life at all levels. Up until now, we've relied on technology to help us solve problems; to answer questions and sustain facts. But now, tech will be able to create an alternate reality so believable that no one can tell what truly happened unless you were also standing there when "it" happened. And even if you were there when "it" happened, they'll just deep fake your statement also!

I agree 100%!
The damage to one's reputation that a deepfake can cause is pretty much unrepairable.

Detonation of a global matrix of high altitude cobalt bombs or a stellar gamma ray burst of a magnitude sufficient to envelope the entire planet are really the only permanent solutions to mankind's apparently intrinsic tendency toward dishonesty and exploitation.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
What kind of world are we creating where machines will think for us, and speak for us?

[Linked Image]

Deep fake has always been around since the dawn of humanity. It is a competition between civilians' education level and the spreaders' skill.

OP as you mentioned you are middle age, have you consider that you are now at an age that you start realizing that not everything you read or hear is real? There's a saying (at least in Asia) that you are independent when you are 30, not being fooled when you are 40, know your destiny (what you can and cannot achieve in your lifetime) when you are 50. So, maybe you are just maturing and starting to realize what has always been around you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back