parking brake use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I'll usually use the parking/e-brake on hills, slopes, or when loading/unloading a trailer or rolling something up ramps into the back of the van/truck. The only way to keep the load off the parking pawl is to set the brake before you put it in park (& make sure it holds like bdcardinal said above). If I'm on a flat surface, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Ditto. Although on flat ground I'm disinclined to use. For whatever reason, on manual transmissions I "always" used the brake but on my automatics I rarely did (or do). I've had to get my wife to stop using the parking brake on my truck as one spot has loaded up with rust and it no longer releases properly (I can easily get under and release but the springs are too weak--and that was with yearly dousing with FF, so, so much for that).

Coming from a manual, I always set the brake.

Growing up in the hills, I always set it before applying Park, always with the pedal brake applied, to keep the load off the transmission. It really wasn't an option where I grew up. The tension on the parking prawl could be so intense as to BEND the transmission linkage trying to get it out of park. AND, all it took was one wheel to slip in Park for a vehicle to roll, such as parking on wet leaves.

It varies, I usually come to a stop, put it in park, apply parking brake, then release brake. Sometimes I stop, apply parking brake, put in park, then release brake. I notice no difference between the 2.

When I leave, usually foot on brake, in gear, release parking brake (except my Santa Fe that has electronic parking brake, releases automatically when you start to drive).

I know I used them 100% of the time with my MT equipped. With my automatics, I try to exercise the P-brake when I think about it. I've never heard of a P-brake mechanism wearing out from use. The mechanisms go bad from lack of use if anything.

In terms of taking the stress off the drivetrain? Like said, the only way you are going to achieve that is if you set the P-brake first, then slide it in 1st for MT or park for automagic.

Last edited:
I work 12 hour shifts, and I use my parking brake due to a slight incline at work. Is it ok for the parking brake to be engaged for that long?

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
I work 12 hour shifts, and I use my parking brake due to a slight incline at work. Is it ok for the parking brake to be engaged for that long?

That is what it's there for.

Using the parking brake to avoid stress on the parking pawl is certainly true.
It also avoids stress on the motor mounts.

My driveway is quite steep downward and if I don't use the hand brake...the next time while putting the auto transmission into R, it slams into gear almost every time.

So I have to stop the car from rolling forward by keep my foot on the brake pedal, put into P, pull hand brake, shut off engine, and then lastly take my foot off brake pedal. Now it doesn't slam.

On level surface, I don't use hand brake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
When I drive an automatic transmission equipped car I put the transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake pedal. Then I apply the parking brake, and take my foot off the brake pedal to make sure the parking brake catches. Then I put my foot back on the pedal and put the vehicle in park.

thumbsup2.gif
That is how you are supposed to use the parking brake.

Agreed. If using just the parking brake, only the tips of the shoes are forced against the drum. It is best to apply the service brakes and hold while you set the parking brake. This sets full contact of the shoes againt the drum.

I do what Scotty Kilmer suggested.

1 - Pull Parking brake

2 - Make sure vehicle is stopped and set by Parking brake and turn off vehicle

3 - Put it into Park

As for getting starting it up, Scotty never mentioned it so I'll post what I do.

1 - Foot on brake, turn car on (leaving foot on brake)

2 - Release Parking brake

3 - Put into D/R, release regular brake

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
How many of you guys use the parking brake to take corners tighter?

Only in snow, but it sure is fun!

Parking brakes in MT cars never fail because they are used all the time. Take an auto where it hasn't been touched in ten years and apply it and you will be crawling under the car to release it or worse.

The best way to make sure they always work in an auto trans car is to use them often. I tell my wife to use them anytime she parks on a hill, or parallel on a street and in the garage. I do the same...just to make sure they are always working

My process is shift to park with brake on, set parking brake and shut down. Never sits on the parking pawl. That bang when shifting out of park never sounds good when it is resting on the pawl.

Now I will say my parents parking area is on a slight incline, enough so that their cars squat a bit when it rolls back onto the pawl. They run their cars to 150-200k miles before trading and have never had an issue with the parking pawl despite being banged on going into and out of park.

Only issue I've ever seen was a friends truck parked on a steep incline...like it had been 10,000 times before. One day it broke and the truck rolled 200 yards probably getting up to 40mph and crashed through the side of a home. Almost killed a couple people but nobody was hurt.

He still doesn't use the e brake

For purposes of the conversation, yes there are ways to reduce pressure on the parking pawl. But also, the pawl is designed to take a fair amount of pressure. So unless you are parking on a steep incline and letting all the weight rest on the pawl with no assist from the parking brake, I agree most of this is overthinking. I use my parking brake when parking on significant inclines (say, over 3-4%), neither of my 4-wheeled vehicles is very heavy. If I haven't used it in a couple weeks, I will apply the brake when coming to a stop at a light or stop sign (when no traffic is around, on dry roads) to keep the adjustment good.

We have to set the parking brake in our service vans to engage the PTO system. But I have parked in some mighty steep driveways without benefit of a parking brake in both manual and auto equipped cars and trucks.

Never a peep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back