Is Unbranded Fuel ok for my Pacifica?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless Of where the gas comes from, or what brand it is, Gas that is "Top Tier" has the "Top Tier" magic potion added at the actual gas station. Here's the "Top Tier" tank / injection pump at the Costco in Wilmington, NC. https://goo.gl/maps/XddnYBokp9kdruEZ9 Now, I don't see cars filing up at Sams or other gas stations and then dying because no "Top Tier" blinker fluid is in it.

As an earlier poster mentioned, Hyundai's take on Top Tier is "If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive added to the fuel tank at every 7,500 miles or 12 months is recommended."

Originally Posted by Bob_W
Regardless Of where the gas comes from, or what brand it is, Gas that is "Top Tier" has the "Top Tier" magic potion added at the actual gas station. Here's the "Top Tier" tank / injection pump at the Costco in Wilmington, NC. https://goo.gl/maps/XddnYBokp9kdruEZ9 Now, I don't see cars filing up at Sams or other gas stations and then dying because no "Top Tier" blinker fluid is in it.

No it doesn't. There is no "Top Tier magic potion" that is added, it means that the additives that are added are of a specific minimum. Costco is different than the majority of stations in adding additives at the pump. Most are added at the terminal.

No "Top Tier blinker fluid" either. The things people imagine is amazing.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Just because "Circle K" doesn't pay the stupid licensing fee to the "top tier" gas company does not mean their products are of lower quality.

True, but then again it does not mean it is of as high a quality as the Top Tier gasoline either.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Originally Posted by Mark72
There is absolutely nothing top tier about Circle k

There's no reason to believe the petrol sold by Alimentation Couche Tard (aka Circle K) is of any lower quality than so-called "Top Tier" stations.

Just because "Circle K" doesn't pay the stupid licensing fee to the "top tier" gas company does not mean their products are of lower quality.

Petrol 'branding' is ridiculous. It all comes out of the same pipeline, it all has to meet the same ATSM standards. There's minimal difference in the additives. Fuel is often blamed for a lot of things, but its rarely the fuel's fault.

The "little" difference makes all the difference such is life.

As an earlier poster mentioned, Hyundai's take on Top Tier is "If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive added to the fuel tank at every 7,500 miles or 12 months is recommended."

You should not post because this is not factual.

You could dump in a gas treatment containing Polyisobutylene (PIB). PIB is what's called a deposit control additive (DCA). Gumout, STP, GoldEagle/Sta-Bil, SuperTech etc all make a fuel treatment containing PIB and it's relatively cheap, like a buck or two a bottle. (ST is usually around a $1 in store at Wally's) Check out Amazon for bulk purchase savings...

Here's some info on PIB.

Chevron - PIB

GoldEagle Co.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

No it doesn't. There is no "Top Tier magic potion" that is added, it means that the additives that are added are of a specific minimum. Costco is different than the majority of stations in adding additives at the pump. Most are added at the terminal.

No "Top Tier blinker fluid" either. The things people imagine is amazing.

Maybe a little bit more detailed than that. It's a specific minimum "treat rate" required with a test to prove it at that minimum concentration.

I remember discussing this before, and it's about a specific testing requirement. There's no guarantee that every generic EPA certified detergent additive will pass the Top Tier testing requirements with a high enough concentration. Maybe it's possible, but the Top Tier organization will want to see specific testing results. I've even heard of certain additives that can increase certain deposits if used in too high a concentration.

As far as diesel goes, I have filled up many times at a completely unbranded station that also sells gas and I had no ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back