When to replace a battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Run it till it dies and keep a jump box in the trunk for when it does.

I like that idea other than the questionable reliability of a lot of the jump packs and trying to remember to keep it charged up.

I usually run them til they sound like they're going to die, or I load test them at the start of the winter and they fail. I had one fail in the middle of the summer in my winter car when it had been sitting for a couple of weeks. It was 5 years old. The one before that failed on a minus 20c morning (it was probably older than 5 years old). I always get hand me down batteries. This is the first year I ever bought a brand new one in my life.

Exactly what I've done. And not long ago ~7year old AC Silver died. Put this GooLoo jumper on 3.0L Accord, worked like a champ. My better half amazed how easy to hook up and how well it worked. I hadn't charged it in quite awhile and had 3 out of 4 bars. Just as a test, when car got home tried again, worked again. I got the jumper early last year on an Amazon deal,
That said, may not be the best option for everyone but I'm sold.

'Twas the aircraft mechanic next door during my childhood who I can remember hearing say, "After 3 years a battery doesn't owe you a thing".

And that was long before the era of constant computer drain in cars.

I kick myself for not picking up that Snap-On pile battery tester at that garage sale.....it was $5.

Since all of my driving now is within ten miles of my house, I won't replace mine until it dies. I carry a portable power pack that I keep charged up and if that doesn't work I will call AAA.

I always replace mine when I begin to hear the starter spin slightly slower. And I periodically test my batteries with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24338-100A-Battery-Tester/dp/B07FQ1G327/ref=sr_1_16?crid=31KJS5IKW1Z55&keywords=battery+load+tester&qid=1575378277&sprefix=Battery+load%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-16

Originally Posted by atikovi

Then you take the chance on being stranded. I have jump starters in my vehicles but I don't rely on them to keep me from getting stranded. Those things die all the time. I'd rather spend the money than go cheap and have my day ruined. It also puts more strain on the starter motor when it's running at a reduced voltage.

That's why in all my decades of driving none of my vehicles have ever left me walking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
The tester showed that my battery was fully charged but only had 80% of its rated capacity.

Do you mean 80% of the CCA rating or Reserve capacity ?

My 3 years old OE panasonic battery showed the spec CCA on the test(at AA) but turned out it had only about 10% of the reserve capacity left.
Car was starting fine with fully charged battery, but after some headlights testing on the battery alone(don't ask ...) - it did not start, almost not turning at all the 2.0L engine. Got it completely charged on 1A charger for only 5h (spec is 60Ah) and the car started without a hiccup. One hour later this battery was on the recycle pile.

After 60 years, I have purchased a couple of those electrical system checkers that I use every year. I will auto replace at 5 years. I've experienced too many weak battery/alternator problems. Not worth it over $20/year savings.

2010 Wrangler with Spring 2009 build date, still has original battery, still holds 12.2-12.3v after sitting for a week. I am playing on house money.

I have had several batteries fail at between the 4 and 5 year mark and the last one, which had a 60 month warranty failed after only 3 years. In each case they only gave one slow cranking warning before complete failure requiring a jump start to get to the auto parts store for a new battery.
I am now in the habit of just buying a new one every 4 years and swapping it out before I have any problems. I live in SouCal and i think the heat kills them or at least is very hard on batteries, regardless of whether they are 48 month or 84 month guaranteed. I think the only thing a longer warranty gives you is more pro-rated credit when they fail after 4 years.

Originally Posted by Kira
'Twas the aircraft mechanic next door during my childhood who I can remember hearing say, "After 3 years a battery doesn't owe you a thing".

And that was long before the era of constant computer drain in cars.

I kick myself for not picking up that Snap-On pile battery tester at that garage sale.....it was $5.

The least I remember getting out of a battery (based on the date on it) is 5 years, but then I realized I let the water get low in a couple of cells. I have gotten 10 out of a couple. But my cars don't have computer drain. (No computer at all).

I'm pretty aware of when a start is sluggish on my truck. I've owned my 2002 Tacoma since new and it is still my daily driver. Once I detect that, I'm replacing it. I just looked at my maintenance spreadsheet and my Walmart batteries last me around 4 years. And I'm right at 4 years now. :-/ I guess I'll be listening extra close every time I start my truck now.

Question: are AGM batteries worth it in this sort of application?

Originally Posted by mrdctaylor
I'm pretty aware of when a start is sluggish on my truck. I've owned my 2002 Tacoma since new and it is still my daily driver. Once I detect that, I'm replacing it. I just looked at my maintenance spreadsheet and my Walmart batteries last me around 4 years. And I'm right at 4 years now. :-/ I guess I'll be listening extra close every time I start my truck now.

Question: are AGM batteries worth it in this sort of application?

You're better off with a FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) in Texas.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Oh? Ok--good to know. Why is that?

Some people say that AGM batteries don't like heat. My exide orbital lasted 90 months and my optima lasted 84 and I live in the desert.

Originally Posted by DzoG20
Originally Posted by Chris142
The tester showed that my battery was fully charged but only had 80% of its rated capacity.

Do you mean 80% of the CCA rating or Reserve capacity ?

My 3 years old OE panasonic battery showed the spec CCA on the test(at AA) but turned out it had only about 10% of the reserve capacity left.
Car was starting fine with fully charged battery, but after some headlights testing on the battery alone(don't ask ...) - it did not start, almost not turning at all the 2.0L engine. Got it completely charged on 1A charger for only 5h (spec is 60Ah) and the car started without a hiccup. One hour later this battery was on the recycle pile.

80% of its CCA. Rated @775 but puts out 620.

"But even AGM batteries face challenges. "AGM batteries will perform well in the heat, but the life span will be hampered due to loss of water from the high temperatures," says Jeff Barron, research lab manager for Interstate Batteries"

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ts-your-car-battery-what-to-do-about-it/

Last edited:
I usually go until it needs jumping. A jump or two later I'm at Walmart to get a replacement.

I did notice the wife's car starting slower one winter, so the following fall I proactively replaced it. 5 years isn't a bad run. I am pretty sure she can use jumper cables but I'm not sure she wants to.

My truck has been cranking slower in the cold weather. For the last couple of years! It's going on 10 years old but still goes. All three vehicles take the same size battery, so (in theory) could just swap if I needed to. I keep thinking about changing it but part of me wants to eek out the very last--why I don't know. Probably because no replacement battery will last as long, I guess.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
When the battery reaches it months of service date. On my Corolla it was 84 months the battery had passed that date by 5 months and winter was coming. I replaced it then even though I hadn't had problem one with it.

Service date? You mean when it reaches end of warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back