2018 CRV, CVT fluid drain interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have researched this and looked everywhere. Does anybody know what mileage, from Honda, that you're suppose to replace the CVT fluid? Dealer said next visit, around 36K or so, the car will require a CVT fluid replacement. I disagree. The only thing I can find from Honda is when the MM shows up and tells you to. This dealership is known for hawking maintenance items that don't need to be replaced yet, plus, they want 180 dollars. Yeah, like that's going to happen. Anyway, just wonder if any one has come across the mileage requirements. I had thought around 60k, but I'm not sure where that came from.

We replace all our Hondas w/CVT partially (circa 4qt) at every other engine oil change. It's quick & inexpensive insurance. Similary our Hondas with DW-1, we do a partial replacement at every other engine oil change.

I have a 2018 CRV, comes up on the MM at 30K. If you change your own oil this task is no more difficult than an oil change. Get (4) qts, end up using around 3.8 or so.
[Linked Image]

I plan on doing it every 30K, remember you are exchanging like half of the fluid...not doing a total drain.

CVT fluid is expensive...more so than ATF, which you'd think would be the same...

Honda doesn't publish any kind of maintenance schedule, only the minder. Honda relies on the MM for everything except brake fluid, which is every 3 years regardless of mileage.

The Honda Dealers worth using for service will tell you the same, to use the minder, and they explain what the codes mean. The dealers saying to do certain services every x years/miles are the ones to avoid.

Did you get a code 3 on your dash? 3 is the code for the transmission fluid. Also, you don't have to use the dealer's HCF-2. The parts stores often have Castrol CVT on sale for $5/qt. Amazon has the case of 6 for $35. Changing it is very easy on these cars, exactly the same as doing it on a regular automatic Honda
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Honda doesn't publish any kind of maintenance schedule, only the minder. Honda relies on the MM for everything except brake fluid, which is every 3 years regardless of mileage.

The Honda Dealers worth using for service will tell you the same, to use the minder, and they explain what the codes mean. The dealers saying to do certain services every x years/miles are the ones to avoid.

Did you get a code 3 on your dash? 3 is the code for the transmission fluid. Also, you don't have to use the dealer's HCF-2. The parts stores often have Castrol CVT on sale for $5/qt. Amazon has the case of 6 for $35. Changing it is very easy on these cars, exactly the same as doing it on a regular automatic Honda
smile.gif

Honda's now indicate for brake fluid changes under subcode 7.
And yes, he needs to use HCF-2 at least while under warranty. Using a CVT fluid that is red (when CVT fluid is yellow/amber) is really smart...
smirk2.gif

Explains that. I'll do that myself....ain't spending that much money for the dealer to do it. I'm new to the whole CVT thing....a simple drain doesn't dump all the fluid out of the CVT like the AT's, correct? I wonder if the dealership does the drain, refill, run, drain, refill method or are they just draining and refilling.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Honda's now indicate for brake fluid changes under subcode 7.
And yes, he needs to use HCF-2 at least while under warranty. Using a CVT fluid that is red (when CVT fluid is yellow/amber) is really smart...
smirk2.gif

Cool! I didn't know about the brake fluid code
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Explains that. I'll do that myself....ain't spending that much money for the dealer to do it. I'm new to the whole CVT thing....a simple drain doesn't dump all the fluid out of the CVT like the AT's, correct? I wonder if the dealership does the drain, refill, run, drain, refill method or are they just draining and refilling.

First off idk of any AT that dumps all the fluid out, specifically because of the torque converter.

I did the cvt on my civic around 30k and it was very easy. The civic has 45k on it now and the transmission code has never appeared.

Originally Posted by Schmoe

For $180 you are getting one drain and refill. A drain and refill on that CVT removes about 1/2 of the fluid, which is actually a bit more than what comes out of a normal a/t.

In that case, I'll just do it myself and buy the Honda CVT fluid. Appreciate the reply's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back