Starter replacement and getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.
My starter on 1994 Jeep was turning the engine over slower and slower over the past month.
I did not want to be stranded as my wife is out of town frequently. So I bought a new starter and changed it out recently.
I do not have a lift so I jacked it up a little to make getting under the Jeep a little easier.
The removal and replacement process is fairly simple but requires moving under the vehicle and getting up several times.
After completion of replacement and battery reconnection, I then checked on my oil leak situation.
Oil leak was from oil filter adapter connection to engine and the O rings have been replaced and that leak fixed.
It was leaking so much I kept a steady diet of new oil going in about a quart every 600 miles. That is no longer an issue.
The repeated up and down and working on my back resulted in my ears/equilibrium being out of normal state for an hour or so.
This is not the first time this has happened while working on my back and reaching up to do a task.
I was fine after an hour or so but this getting older stuff makes me wish I had bought a nice lift for the garage many years ago
Now at 62 I do not think the purchase of a lift would be good as we are considering moving in next few years.
This getting old is not for wimps.

I hear ya. Just the simple chore of a oil change is getting tough for me. I'll keep doing it until I can't but the getting up and then back down is difficult. It's even worse when it's cold outside.

Suck it up buttercup! Same age as you so I can say that. I've stayed active and in good health and even still anything physical is harder and takes longer.

I now understand the saying "my mind is writing checks my body can't cover".

I was always very active in my younger years. Now at 56 I have had a few repairs. Had a real bad broken leg that required extensive surgery and I also have a titanium plate in my wrist with 12 screws.
The one thing I do well is predict when it's going to rain. I am still doing my own repairs but at a much slower pace.

Good Lord I used to crawl under over inside, etc. all kinds of cars and trucks.
And a lotta time very unsafe.
They used to say, "Let Herc give it a jerk." No more...
At 66 I have slowed down... Sheesh.
No more classics for me, tht's for sure.
But I still enjoy pulling wrenches. Rewarding for sure.

For the commonest symptoms of aging (the ones mentioned above) I strongly suggest yoga.

1) Yoga is stretching as well as balancing practice.
2) Yoga helps with everything. It squeezes glands thus helping your body do what it always has.
3) It's you and the floor. Very little to complain about unless you're a complainer.
4) Yoga has nothing to do with religion so anyone who cops the old "I can't do yoga because I'm a _____." is being senselessly old fashioned.
5) Yoga is just peaceful, non-impact exercise.
6) Yoga and hippies in the '60's were linked for public consumption. i.e. When smoking pot and long hair was ridiculed, the art departments included yoga in the backdrops. Completely irresponsible, inaccurate and fabricated.

Seriously. I can't leap tall buildings in a single bound any more either.

If you're otherwise able bodied, complaining about getting down and getting up again is pretty lame, no?

Just remember this.

When you get out of bed in the morning and you hear a lot of popping and sweaking,

It's not the floor --ITS YOU.

I'm already there.

73 years young.

TOMB
Convert

Hey guys, tell me about it. I am 76 and it sure is a lot harder to do stuff than it was even 10 years ago. Getting down is not a problem, but getting back back up can be a real pain sometimes. Luckily my wife is always willing to help by fetching tools etc when I am under the vehicles. I used to do most everything that would be needed on my cars even including overhaul the engine. Now I just do the minor stuff, service and tune. And the newer stuff---Ha, I can't even find the spark plugs anymore. And I leave the repairs to pros.

I hear ya, at 64 I still do my own, but at a somewhat slower pace...at times getting up and down and sliding under the car does make my back ache for days but I consider myself lucky as so many of my friends can hardly walk anymore and some 10 years younger

Kira, thanks for the Yoga advice. I'm mounting a list of things I "should" do:
- winter gym membership to counter less outdoor activity,
- update mindfulness practices
- yoga?
- step up healthy eating habits another notch
- don't alter right to complain, an entitlement of old age
- don't alter right to drive like old person... just to annoy the young'uns
- monitor grunts and groans associated with up/down activities

Whatta buncha geezers around here. Still getting it done, just not as fast.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm no longer a complete fool. Some parts are missing. I was sore and stiff and had shortness of breath just climbing stairs. Not Lyme disease.and chest pains was my heart not my lungs. Having 5 teeth removed, cleared up a low grade infection that cleared up the joint pain and night sweats. In the 2 weeks, I was healing, I lost 15 lbs and I continued to diet on salads. I have a blocked artery feeding te LF of my heart. I'm up to 120 mg a day of vaso dilators and 80mg LDL buster. I have 3 hrs of cardio exercise a week, I'm down to 205 I intent to replace the south roof on the addition this spring. I have cut way back on the car crawling though .
grin2.gif

I hear ya. This might be the first winter in a long time that I won't do any shoveling: I seem to have given myself tendinitis in my shoulders from raking leaves this fall. I've had snowblowers around the house for years, but tried to only use them when the snow was deep, or we had several storms in a row--"if you don't use it, you'll lose it" type of mentality. Need to fight that aging process and refuse to stop doing things until I truly can't.

Old saying still holds truth to be self evident -- "slow and steady wins the race!!" As long as your not on any time clock -- take your time -- listen to your body my Grandfather always used to say. Proper Diet/Exercise & Rest!!!!!

Last edited:
Glad I am not the only old geezer slowing down
I just went down and helped a 75 YO widow out by bagging all her leaves
Her 50 YO son claims depression and cant do it for her so I help her out
And I still help my 84 YO mother out at her place so I continue to do it but slower pace
I also find myself going to bed earlier these winter days. Either the lack of light or the coolness
Anyway, I am glad you old geezers are still getting it down as well
Hang in there and keep up your good work.
We'll talk more about it in another 5 years

Bob

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Whatta buncha geezers around here. Still getting it done, just not as fast.
thumbsup2.gif

Y'all some old fools on here
lol.gif

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Good Lord I used to crawl under over inside, etc. all kinds of cars and trucks.
And a lotta time very unsafe.
They used to say, "Let Herc give it a jerk." No more...
At 66 I have slowed down... Sheesh.
No more classics for me, tht's for sure.
But I still enjoy pulling wrenches. Rewarding for sure.

Seriously really good to hear all of what you guys still do...

I am inspired by all you guys on here doing what you all do... And reminds me of how and why I have met some very great in shape people at my place where I work.

Originally Posted by Kira

1) Yoga is stretching as well as balancing practice.

I'm with you on the yoga suggestion, but "stretching and balancing" is the wimpy type of yoga.

"Power" types of yoga include or even focus on strength, while also having plenty of stretching and balancing.

IMO, some form of strength-based yoga is the main type of exercise most people in the world should be doing.

I'm about ready to retire as well. Gotta get a new knee and then most likely a hip. Our step counters on the phones and fit bits register between 15-18,000 steps per day. I have a pulley up on my gantry in the shop. I have been using the H out of it and I plan to get a membership at our indoor pool to do the power walks in the pool. They have a real slick coarse in a stream pool where you walk against the flow in chest deep water. I got several friends from work that have recently retired and maybe we can all get together a couple times a week at the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back