Schaeffer's #158/Naphthenic mix okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for an electric 5HP Ingersol Rand air compressor. Requirement stated as "Use 27oz Ingersol Rand compressor oil or SAE 40 non-detergent naphthenic lube oil, containing rust and oxidation inhibitors."

What characteristics of a naphthenic base would be significant?

David

Thanks Ken. That was useful. Looks like the water carrying abilities are better than other bases.

I've wondered about water separation/suspension. Some bases are touted as separating from water quickly while others brag about holding it in suspension. If emulsion can be maintained that seems like the safer route than separation. I don't want any layers of water sitting in machinery unless maybe there's a deep sump or trap. This seems to be a choice best made after evaluation of the specific equipment and where water would collect.

How to lube guys handle this decision for real equipment? To me, best would be to prevent water, then get water out, then keep it isolated & out of circulation, then keep it suspended. With a pickup at the bottom of the sump it seems like separation is a bad idea. I could be wrong.

David

[ November 16, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back