What happened to the real pickup trucks with regular cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you paid anywhere near 50k for a ford truck that stickered at 50k, you were robbed. Trucks that sticker for over 50k here are Out the door with all taxes, tile, fees for 40k all day long. Inflation adjusted, that is less than I paid for my late 90s F150 in the same trim with a lot less stuff...

Originally Posted by MNgopher
If you paid anywhere near 50k for a ford truck that stickered at 50k, you were robbed. Trucks that sticker for over 50k here are Out the door with all taxes, tile, fees for 40k all day long. Inflation adjusted, that is less than I paid for my late 90s F150 in the same trim with a lot less stuff...

No, she didn't pay 50K for it. She got it for 37K but I don't even think it's worth that but that's just me. I negotiated the price and never pay sticker or close to sticker on any vehicle.

It's a decent truck, has good power and rides pretty nice but it feels cheaply made, the metal is paper thin, and the paint scratches if you just look at it.

Originally Posted by wtd
Originally Posted by MNgopher

No, she didn't pay 50K for it. She got it for 37K but I don't even think it's worth that but that's just me. I negotiated the price and never pay sticker or close to sticker on any vehicle.

It's a decent truck, has good power and rides pretty nice but it feels cheaply made, the metal is paper thin, and the paint scratches if you just look at it.

Then why did you use a fake number in your initial post? It's not a $50K truck if you bought it for $37K.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Not to mention there has not been enough price or MPG difference in smaller PU's

It's gotten better … many sales later

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-government-killed-fuel-efficient-cars-and-truck-5948172

Originally Posted by jalopnik

Unfortunately, the footprint method has the opposite effect; rather than encouraging auto makers to strive for unprecedented fuel economy in their passenger car offerings, it has incentivized auto makers to build larger cars, in particular, more car-based crossovers that can be classified as "trucks" as used to skew fleet average figures, much the same way the PT Cruiser did. Full-size trucks have become a "protected class", safe from the most aggressive targets, while compact trucks have become nearly extinct as a result.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the newer trucks the last 5-6 years as they are simply ugly in my opinion. I know they are very capable and can out work my older truck but I don't need it. Well at the LA auto show yesterday looking around and sitting in the newer trucks and they are huge! All they had was crew cabs and they are a cavern inside! Even with the drivers seat all the way back there is a ton of room in the back seat. I am not a fan of the shorter short beds they have but I guess not everybody needs it or they wouldn't build them this way. It was an eye opener for sure seeing all these new trucks in person. Just opinion here but I thought the GM trucks had the nicest interior and comfortable seats, the Dodge has best looking trucks as far as outside appearance and nice interior, and the Fords seemed to be lacking but I know they out sell everybody so my opinion must be the minority! But I am not buying one anyway and was just looking for fun.

Originally Posted by hatt

Then why did you use a fake number in your initial post? It's not a $50K truck if you bought it for $37K.

Because it is the usual simplistic way to pick at other peoples choices. Use a half truth without full context to get people riled up. The same thing happens all the time in these pickup truck threads.

My nearly 51,000 MSRP sticker truck came out the door for a hair over 37k, including all TTL. Its a crew cab versus a supercab, has an engine with way more HP and useable torque and better fuel mileage, and a ton more useful stuff on it - and it all cost less inflation adjusted than my 1999 F150 in the same trim level did. But its easy to poke at the sticker and say look. Note the shots he still took when someone called it out...

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by E365
I routinely chuckle at pickup drivers hauling stuff on the weekends, in the rain and snow, with their sofas and drywall getting wet ...‚

My gear stays watertight and locked up. 4x8 sheets fit perfectly.

[Linked Image]

You make too much sense! Stop or you'll cost the big 3 lots of profits. Hahaaa.
Seriously though you are one of the few that makes sense with your choice.

This.

I once though of the idea of renting a pickup to move some stuff around, like a long TV stand. Too bad it is longer than every single pick up I can find around. I ended up finding a guy on craigslist with a cargo van and pay him around $120 to haul it for me. Since that day I refuse to believe anyone telling me that I need a pick up or SUV because I may need it once in a blue moon to haul stuff or family vacation or go skiing.

$70k can fly my whole family out to Hawaii on a 1 week vacation probably 10 times.
I don't go on vacation with my luggage hanging in the bed to be stolen
My wife also won't let me drive for 3 days one way, we don't have that much vacation time. My family prefers minivan instead of SUVs.
When I have time to go skiing it is weekend, and there's always a traffic jam going up to Tahoe, so I'm driving in a traffic on asphalt road anyways.
I do laundry when I go on vacation, so I don't have to pack too much.

And when I need to haul stuff once in a blue moon, the pickup / SUV I can buy is pretty much useless. I trust the craigslist guy with a cargo van instead.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
I work with a lot of office workers who have leased F-150s as their daily drivers. I always chuckle at the pristine, scratch-free beds.

I worked with a guy like that. Drove a Super Duty but admitted that the only thing that had ever been in the bed was a Marx Big Wheel!

I work with a lot of office workers who have leased F-150s as their daily drivers. I always chuckle at the pristine, scratch-free beds.

Talking about that, what happen to the bed when you use a pickup as a pickup in a lease? Do you have to "repair" it when you return it?

Originally Posted by PandaBear

Talking about that, what happen to the bed when you use a pickup as a pickup in a lease? Do you have to "repair" it when you return it?

Honestly, when the lease is up they just jump into another leased F-150 so Ford forgives whatever damage they've done, which seems to be very little or none.

I'd be willing to bet that all the people who have a job due to those F-150's being leased, are happy that your coworkers exist...

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Traction
I have never had a pickup truck that didn't have a regular cab with either a 8 foot box, or even a 6 1/2 foot bed. I have had many over the years, and now I can't find any. A crew cab truck with a 5 1/2 foot bed is pretty useless in my opinion as a truck for hauling stuff. Not much better than the Tahoe cop truck I currently have. I like it, but I can't haul much, and am ready to go back to a real pickup.

Because there are fewer "working" trucks and people who don't mind getting their hands dirty and more family trucks that are all show. If it can't transport a sheet of plywood without it sticking out, it's not worth me having.

+1

I don't understand the people who drive crew cab trucks around for commuting with empty beds. I spent a few years driving an F-350 7.3 dually for work on a farm and what a nightmare to park it anywhere. Most of the newer trucks I've driven have even less visibility. A detachable trailer with a ramp is much more practical for most homeowners and easier to load stuff. Whenever I help friends move somehow the heavy stuff always ends up in the trailer.
crazy.gif

Obviously for farmers and people who use their truck everyday or often enough to utilize the bed it makes perfect sense, but most of the luxury truck drivers can't even keep the thing in their lane or park without going into another space because it is too big for them to handle.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I don't understand the people who drive crew cab trucks around for commuting with empty beds. I spent a few years driving an F-350 7.3 dually for work on a farm and what a nightmare to park it anywhere. Most of the newer trucks I've driven have even less visibility. A detachable trailer with a ramp is much more practical for most homeowners and easier to load stuff. Whenever I help friends move somehow the heavy stuff always ends up in the trailer.
crazy.gif

I recently moved and basically moved the contents of a 4 person home by myself. Everything went into a 6x14 enclosed cargo trailer. My back never bothered me once. Week later, went to help someone move, but they were convinced they didn't need the trailer, just my truck. 5 minutes and my back was done. The cargo trailer I can walk into, the bed of my truck has a cap (to keep stuff dry) and hunching over simply killed me.

I'd get rid of the truck but it moves the trailer with ease. I also like 4WD (another BITOG evil I know). But this is my last pickup I think. I like it, jack of all trades with 4 doors, but it really doesn't do anything really well. Right now I need to figure out how I'm going to get snow tires on it--they're sitting in the corner, ready to go--but they're too heavy for me to lift at the moment.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Saw this today.

Not a fan of that matte front end/bumper.

Originally Posted by morepwr
I haven't paid a lot of attention to the newer trucks the last 5-6 years as they are simply ugly in my opinion. I know they are very capable and can out work my older truck but I don't need it. Well at the LA auto show yesterday looking around and sitting in the newer trucks and they are huge! All they had was crew cabs and they are a cavern inside! Even with the drivers seat all the way back there is a ton of room in the back seat. I am not a fan of the shorter short beds they have but I guess not everybody needs it or they wouldn't build them this way. It was an eye opener for sure seeing all these new trucks in person. Just opinion here but I thought the GM trucks had the nicest interior and comfortable seats, the Dodge has best looking trucks as far as outside appearance and nice interior, and the Fords seemed to be lacking but I know they out sell everybody so my opinion must be the minority! But I am not buying one anyway and was just looking for fun.

If you are talking about 1/2 trucks GM is the leader in sales but the latest generation is a dud. It's so bad there will be an refresh in the design next model year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back