parking brake use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive decided to start using my parking brake more often when parking my truck. Ive read that its beneficial to the parking pawl in the tranny. When using it in the past, Ive always put it in park and then applied the brake.

To my understanding the correct way to apply the parking brake is to leave the vehicle in drive with your foot on the regular brake, apply the parking brake and then put the vehicle in park.

To let off the parking brake, I understand its the opposite, I would put the tranny in drive or reverse first and then pull the parking brake lever? Is this correct?

Might sound like some dumb questions but I never gave it much thought and if its beneficial for the parking pawl Ill do it every time I park.

Last edited:
When I drive an automatic transmission equipped car I put the transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake pedal. Then I apply the parking brake, and take my foot off the brake pedal to make sure the parking brake catches. Then I put my foot back on the pedal and put the vehicle in park.

Right foot on brake, left foot on parking brake or pull the handle or toggle the electronic switch and put the vehicle in park or 1st gear if it's a stick.

I'll usually use the parking/e-brake on hills, slopes, or when loading/unloading a trailer or rolling something up ramps into the back of the van/truck. The only way to keep the load off the parking pawl is to set the brake before you put it in park (& make sure it holds like bdcardinal said above). If I'm on a flat surface, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

An old mechanic told me to always set the parking brake then put the trans in park especially when parking on a hill to take some stress off the parking pawl. Also it makes easier to release the pawl without the weight of the vehicle on it.

I always use it, all the time, both auto and manual.

Saw a Rambler Matador where the pawl failed once.

many years ago i worked at a trencher manufacture, in the prototype shop. we learned that there is a difference between an emergency brake and a parking brake. an good emergency brake will stop a rolling machine. a parking brake will not not stop a rolling machine. but will hold it after stopping. history note. the old Hudsons after the reg brake peddle went to far it started applying the emergency brake.

I always hold my right foot on the brake, park in P (automatic), apply parking brake, let go my right foot, and make sure the car is not moving, then turn off the engine.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
When I drive an automatic transmission equipped car I put the transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake pedal. Then I apply the parking brake, and take my foot off the brake pedal to make sure the parking brake catches. Then I put my foot back on the pedal and put the vehicle in park.

100%. I believe you need to ensure the vehicle (if it wants to) moves a bit before you engage park. Then to move off again you take it out of Park and place it into N before disengaging the parking brake. Save those Park pawls and don't "hang" your vehicles in Park due to the parking pawl engagement!

Ditto.

This.

I've noticed on most of my automatic cars that putting the parking brake on after shifting into neutral and then into Park seems to be the right choice to keep stress off the
pawl.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
... putting the parking brake on after shifting into neutral and then into Park seems to be the right choice to keep stress off the pawl.
That routine makes sense when parking on a significant hill. Elsewhere, you'd wear out the brake mechanism long before the parking pawl.

thumbsup2.gif
That is how you are supposed to use the parking brake.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Don't overthink it. It's a parking brake. Park, set the brake, and don't fuss over it.

01.gif

Originally Posted by Bud
Originally Posted by Fawteen
Don't overthink it. It's a parking brake. Park, set the brake, and don't fuss over it.

01.gif

Correct. I always think of it as first on when parking, last off when you start the car.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by AC1DD
... putting the parking brake on after shifting into neutral and then into Park seems to be the right choice to keep stress off the pawl.
That routine makes sense when parking on a significant hill. Elsewhere, you'd wear out the brake mechanism long before the parking pawl.

It's not just about wear and tear on either component - it's about not losing the tranny because of a small fender bender.

The idea is the brake friction surfaces are set to take the initial shock of an impact, and not the small angular head of the parking pawl. Parked in your garage, driveway, or most parking lots, it's no matter. But on hills, when parked parallel along curbs, etc. this can reduce the risk of excessive damage considerably.

Because the glue which holds the parking brake lining on is effected by moisture and eventually fails I make it a point to apply the parking brake after a stretch of braking.
I figure the warm (or hot) rear rotor, which includes the "high hat", aka parking brake drum, will dry the shoes.

All other considerations pertaining to parking brake use on slopes etc. are made with all BITOGers' happiness in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back