Diesel (Passenger Vehicles) in Hot Climates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

Just wanted to see if any other members seem to notice a trend in modern diesel passenger vehicles (Cars and trucks) where they and their emission systems seem to hold up better in hotter climates such as the south west?

Because modern diesels heat to burn off catalysts and get up to temp quicker, would this in theory make them last longer?

I would think the exhaust getting super hot while getting sprayed with salt water in the winter and then humid environments in the summer would shorten it's lifespan considerably.

Everything holds up better in the arid southwest ... mechanically, but not cosmetically. The UV will beat the tar out of paint and vinyl and rubber, but the southwest is very easy on drive-train systems, gas or diesel.

Not really. If anything the plastic components will lose their plasticity at a higher rate in hot/dry climates. Most of the components for the SCR (DEF aka Urea Solution) system are plastic/rubber.

If anything I would think that driving distances are generally longer in the SouthWest so that would bode well for allowing uninterrupted DPF regens.

The cold climate, long idle times and short trips seem to be rough on diesels here. The newer scr equipped ones fair out better...

I have done a mix of everything with my 3500 and the only issues were a DEF countdown that cleared itself while driving and my recent cylinder 1 injector (unrelated but still a mechanical problem).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back