Continental Purecontact LS vs. Michelin X-Tour A/S (Defender T+H)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fiancee's 2007 Accord needs new tires. The car has almost 142K miles and we plan to keep the car for as long as possible.

Annual mileage is about 7K. I usually replace tires after 6 years so treadlife is not a huge concern. The current tires are Michelin Premiers which have 4/32" remaining but the tires have developed large cracks between the sidewalls and the tread. Two of the Premiers were installed at 90K, the other two were installed at about 100K.

Honda specifies a V-rated, 205/60-16 tire. The Purecontact LS comes in the proper V-rating but the X Tour A/S (Defender T+H) comes in H; you can sometimes convince Costco to install one speed rating lower. With the current sales, both tire options are priced within $10 of each other.

A change in ride quality is probably the only characteristic that the driver will notice. On paper, the Purecontact LS is the closest match to the current tire.

Which tire would you install?

Last edited:
I'm a Michelin man so thats what I would buy. I have run both on my Civic, The Premiers and the Defender T+H. You will much prefer the Defenders. I was disappointed in the Premiers and actually got credit on them because of the low mileage. I would check and see if you can get some credit on yours since you have around 42 000 on a 60000 mile tire. Get the Defenders and they will easily get you to 200,000 on the Accord.

Her car has the Pure Contacts. I can't remember the exact version, but they were the best Continental all season offering 2 years ago at Discount Tire.

We'll be getting these next time as well. No complaints whatsoever.

Whichever is cheaper, theyre both great names and youre not using them to their full life. Ive also seen a bunch of Michelins that dry rotted within a few years, I think they cut back on the antioxidants they add for their Costco and lower tier tires. I usually lean towards Conti anyway for their blend of performance and pricing. Theyre usually a bit softer as well, for better or worse, most people like the softer ride. Edit: Would you consider a step down to save a bit? Cooper etc?

Last edited:
I put V-rated PureContacts on a car I eventually traded. I liked them very much. A smooth performing tire with good braking action.

I recalled you had i installed Continentals PureContact LS on a vehicle and you said it was on par or better than the Michelins.

Why not stick with the PureContact LS?

Also why downgrade to an "H" rating? V rated is better.

I had tried the Bridgestone Senerity Plus on the 06 Accord and Michelin Premier on the 07 Accord. The Premier does develops cracks, seems to be a common problem and wears prematurely.

The Serenity Plus the sidewalls are softer so it sags. Had a good deal on it so I just slapped them on.

Not sure if the Continentals PureContact LS has soft sidewalls for this particular size tires.

Thanks for the feedback - it seems pretty mixed between the two.

The Continentals are getting installed as I type this...

Just picked up the car.

I will have to check the tire pressure, but the ride seems a bit firmer than I would expect. All tires are from the 27th week of 2019.

E99D335B-DFEC-463D-87B9-C31A92012089.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The Critic
Just picked up the car.

I will have to check the tire pressure, but the ride seems a bit firmer than I would expect. All tires are from the 27th week of 2019.

Is that sag I see?

Firmer because it is still new.

Update: 1k miles on the tires.

Traction and handling are the same as the Premiers, but the steering feels a bit lighter.

Ride quality is worse; the Continentals are definitely firmer. The Premiers definitely ride a bit better.

Traction and handling are the same as the Premiers, but the steering feels a bit lighter.

Ride quality is worse; the Continentals are definitely firmer. The Premiers definitely ride a bit better.

That sucks.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

That sucks.

For the price I am not complaining. But the Continentals have an "underlying firmness" that the Michelins did not have.

I cant remember the model but my Altima came with continentals and they were awesome. I since went through a set of firestones and have been running Dunlops since them. I got 60K out of the continentals and should have replaced them with the oem tires. My wifes Michelins were dry rotted with low miles and her suv was garage kept. Michelins ride like a dream but for almost $800 a set, never again.

No direct experience of either.

I am beyond elated with the factory Contnentals (TX?) on our 2018 VW Tiguan so those. I have never had great Michelin tires, simply expensive and average performance across all. Continental's all wonderful including the DWS and they also include a 2/32" road hazard warranty which sounds silly but actually three weeks into owning Conti tire nailed a manhole so hard it bubbled/tear but held air. No questions asked return/replacement.

When the Winter tires come off, my new Pure Contact LS tires will go on. The Camry has such a soft ride a little firmness should be welcome. Generally V rated tires are firmer. I'll report at that time.

Just curious, what tire pressure does the Accord call for, and what pressure are they running at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back