$119 HP 14" AMD Chromebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
My findings with Chromebooks is if they use often (two daughter's daily) at this price point expect about 1-2 years before display or touchpad dies.

I have two in drawer that work with HDMI monitor and USB hub and USB keyboard/mouse.

If the 1080 screen gives you a better quality machine yes.

Good find, do these have an extra slot to upgrade the ram?
great machines for kids,

I picked up a HP AMD from stapes around 200, up'd the ram to 8 gig and added a 128 ssd, it came with a 128 pcie drive.
screen was ok for me.

I hate cheap computers. Poor user experience and then they break.
I am not a fan of HP either; they have improved though.

Here is a quality, entry level chromebook:
Acer Chromebook

I have given this Chromebook as a gift; a good computer.
There are at least 4 Chromies in our house, maybe more.
I am using a Pixelbook Go right now. Pricy, but a great notebook.

Stick with Asus, Acer or Google and you will get quality.

my experience has been:

1. dell - worst, never buying one again.
2. HP - best for $$, this all I buy now.
3. Other brands - no comments

FYI: I buy with my amex which gives me an extra year of warranty.

Samsung Chrome book is a good deal - $159 regular price at Walmart and was $99 black friday. Good size for my son's backpack and he uses it for school.

Why would a guy like you with a rich wife and custom home we regularly read about be interested in a low-end model like this?

Originally Posted by Uregina09
Why would a guy like you with a rich wife and custom home we regularly read about be interested in a low-end model like this?

Perhaps he needs something to carry around that might get damaged? Or has kids/grandkids? A cheap device like that is perfect for that situation. I do not let my kids touch my MacBook Pro.... but that's because lasers.

[Linked Image]

I have a 14" HP refurb with a 1.1 Intel processor running Windows 10. Amazingly fast. Boots quickly. Good connection speed. I now have a 15" HP with an i5 so will be upgrading hard drive and the 14" is going to a friend. Very impressed. HP is doing some things right.

You won't notice the difference between 768 and 1080 on a 14 inch screen, keeping in mind we are talking a $100 computer.
I mean, in that price range, even with a 1080 on something more expensive, it won't really matter, its really about the quality of the screen in these price points not the resolution on such as small screen. I strongly think that the more expensive computer has other upgrades then just the resolution though.

But bottom line is you can try the $100 computer and if you dont like it, return it within the return period and get your money back
Just check the stores return policy. I have found most will take back computers now even after you open them and try them out.

Check the return policy before you buy. In our state Best Buy has to accept all returns whether open or not without charging a restocking fee.
Also check Staples and Officemax, again, depending on how your state protects you, check return policies.

Example from Best Buy site -
"There is no restocking fee if the product is unopened or if the purchase and the return both occur within: AL, CO, HI, IA, MS, OH, OK, SC and where prohibited by law. The restocking fee will be taxed in select states".
To me, Best Buy buy is no longer a Best Buy *LOL*
Walmart, Staples, Office max ... check them out as far as return policies.

Pretty much Best Buy is saying "take a hike' if you dont like what we sold you.

( we did buy a $1600 TV from Best Buy last year though, so Im not saying never)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
You won't notice the difference between 768 and 1080 on a 14 inch screen, keeping in mind we are talking a $100 computer.

Oh yes you will! I have an 11.6" I travel with due to it's size, and i can't stand looking at that 768 screen. I also have a 13.3" I use on the couch at home and the FHD is so much clearer and easier on the eyes.

There is a huge jump, 1080 is so insanely better.

Unless you are blind you most certainly will. I do work at a customer's site. My company provides me with a 14" HP Elitebook with a 1080 screen. It looks good. Text is moderately sharp. Nothing like a 2k or 4k screen but good enough. The client provides me with a 14" HP Elitebook with a 1366x768 screen. Text is noticeably blocky and you can immediately tell it's a low resolution screen.

Check the return policy before you buy. In our state Best Buy has to accept all returns whether open or not without charging a restocking fee.

Best Buy doesn't charge a restocking fee on laptops. In 2017 I returned a Lenovo Yoga after 10 days. $0 restocking fee. In 2018 I returned a Surface Pro with $0 restocking fee (although re-bought it a month later). Their website makes no mention of a restock fee on Laptops.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Seems like a good deal to me...and i hear they can run office now!

You can either install the Android apps or use the online versions. Installing MS Office on anything running Linux (Android excepted) is not flying yet...

Originally Posted by dishdude

Oh yes you will! I have an 11.6" I travel with due to it's size, and i can't stand looking at that 768 screen. I also have a 13.3" I use on the couch at home and the FHD is so much clearer and easier on the eyes.

The difference on a $100 computer though between 768 and 1080 is not that great. The displays are bottom of the barrel in clarity whether 768 or 1080 at this price point.

Everyone will notice the difference between 1080 and 736 on word processing, but you may not notice that if you watch movies.

For $119 you really can't be too picky. I personally had not much good luck with HP (they seems to die on me more than Dell and their fit and finish seems just cheap) but at that price I'd overlook the brand.

Originally Posted by itguy08

Unless you are blind you most certainly will. I do work at a customer's site. My company provides me with a 14" HP Elitebook with a 1080 screen. It looks good. Text is moderately sharp. Nothing like a 2k or 4k screen but good enough. The client provides me with a 14" HP Elitebook with a 1366x768 screen. Text is noticeably blocky and you can immediately tell it's a low resolution screen.

Agreed. Even on a 13" laptop the difference is very noticeable. I won't bother with anything less than 1080p when ordering laptops for my company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back