Sight seepage from drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Silverado w/ 5.3. Using Fram Ultra and M1 5W-30.

I have some slight seepage from my drain plug. I've torqued it to spec and even replaced the entire plug and rubber o-ring but it's still leaking. Maybe 1 or two drops of oil in the garage a night. I was thinking about replacing the plug with one from the autoparts store and using a different gasket. The one that keeps coming up for my truck is the Needa plastic/nylon blue washer.

Is that a reliable gasket and any issues with using a washer/gasket like that?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...6-P?searchTerm=oil+pan+drain+plug+gasket

It's the bluish/gray one on the top right in the picture.

Could I use teflon tape too? Or some sort or thread sealer?

I've had that happen just from the residual oil still dripping out while putting the drain plug back in. It'll seep out till it's gone. Maybe just barely visible.

I thought that at first but I wipe it down. I'll check it the next day and a few days after (wiping it off each time) and there will be another drip and a new spot on the floor so I think it's definitely seeping. I replaced it last time with an OE plug/gasket.

Last edited:
Did you try giving it a tiny tweak tighter? I had the same problem twice with an aftermarket plug with a magnet, both times I wiped it down and gave it about 1/16th of a turn tighter, and it resolved the problem. Next OCI I might just go back to the problem free OE plug.

Edit: "I" found the crush washers with that square tab and the one with the black ring to work the best. I have a Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug that leaked like a sieve. The washer with the black ring fixed it perfectly. The crush washer they provided sucked.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem with one of my vehicles. I've used both Teflon tape and thread sealant with mixed results.

I just park it on the grass now.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Did you try giving it a tiny tweak tighter? I had the same problem twice with an aftermarket plug with a magnet, both times I wiped it down and gave it about 1/16th of a turn tighter, and it resolved the problem. Next OCI I might just go back to the problem free OE plug.

Edit: "I" found the crush washers with that square tab and the one with the black ring to work the best. I have a Dorman transmission pan with a drain plug that leaked like a sieve. The washer with the black ring fixed it perfectly. The crush washer they provided sucked.

I did. I think it's 18 ft/lb and I went a hair tighter but still an issue.

I think OReilly might sell a replacement seal for the OE plug but if they don't, are those blue nylon washer/gaskets a good idea? It has ridges like it's a type of crush washer.

"I" found the blue washer or the washer with the black rubber ring to work quite well. As long as they are the proper size to fit the drain plugs properly you should be GTG. I'd use which ever one your supplier has on hand that fits.

This the type you are using?

Plug Gasket.JPG

Originally Posted by Mossyoakglock
This the type you are using?

Yes. The blue/gray colored one with the square tab in the link you provided will work too. I have those in a light blue color. Sorry for the confusion. You can change that crush washer w/o draining the oil. Shop Vac Trick To Replace Drain Plug

I am sure it could take 300 degrees, no problemo.

BTW, put a heat gun on a oil pan and let me know the temperature. I doubt it ever reaches 300 degrees unless you are the Shermanator

It might handle the 200F temps of oil, it might not. I don't know what material garden hose gaskets are made of. I know that oil filter gaskets and o-rings are typically made from silicone or maybe nitrile. Whatever material it is, that's what I'd use for the drain plug gasket. The OP can try green HVAC o-rings; those are made from nitrile

Why would a garden hose washer manufacturer design washers to withstand 300 degrees when they never would be exposed to half that temperature? Especially for 10 cents.

I have same problem and tried different plugs and gaskets w/o success. I later found a blemmish or deformed area with the oil pan where the gasket goes. I have lived with it for years now because I wasn't about to change the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back