Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny a lot of people suggest "modern" engine oil when modern engine oil has continuously taken out aw/ep additives. Lifter tick happens to be an extreme pressure condition. I guess 2 plus 2 equals 10 around here, or something along those lines. Look at the high moly additives and oils on the market if rislone ever stops working. I'd say oil soluble ones that are ester based are less risky then powdered moly in suspension, but many guys have had luck with both. But for now, if it aint broke don't fix it, seams like you found your winner, as long as it isn't corrosive like chlorinated paraffins chances are it is doing more good then harm. They also have none moly additives that attempt to do the same thing, molygen motor protect may be one. Turns out to be tungsten, but there are others as well, titanium and stuff. The paper out there suggests moly is still the gold standard.

Originally Posted by burla
Funny a lot of people suggest "modern" engine oil when modern engine oil has continuously taken out aw/ep additives. Lifter tick happens to be an extreme pressure condition. I guess 2 plus 2 equals 10 around here, or something along those lines. Look at the high moly additives and oils on the market if rislone ever stops working. I'd say oil soluble ones that are ester based are less risky then powdered moly in suspension, but many guys have had luck with both. But for now, if it aint broke don't fix it, seams like you found your winner, as long as it isn't corrosive like chlorinated paraffins chances are it is doing more good then harm. They also have none moly additives that attempt to do the same thing, molygen motor protect may be one. Turns out to be tungsten, but there are others as well, titanium and stuff. The paper out there suggests moly is still the gold standard.

But even your favorite oil doesn't contain "EP" additives other than ZDDP for anti-wear, correct? Not the same additives as in a gear oil, no responsible oil blender would do that.

So other than ZDDP what EP additives were present in the past that are not today?

Originally Posted by kschachn

But even your favorite oil doesn't contain "EP" additives other than ZDDP for anti-wear, correct? Not the same additives as in a gear oil, no responsible oil blender would do that.

So other than ZDDP what EP additives were present in the past that are not today?

I'm not sure what your hang up is other then trolling, but I was referring to lubegard's biotech not any oil. And moly is the EP additive, so I don't know what you are talking about there as well. Now to mention esters which by themselves can also EP additives. You seam hung up on brand and not formula. If someone has a condition that is causing extreme pressures and it is manifesting itself in "noise", then use science to come up with a strategy to address it if you can't and don't want to address it mechanically. As it turns out, this often works. But, if the engine is ticking on some random oil, just using super tech because all of the "oil guys" love it, aint gonna work. People around here refuse to add the constant testimonials to their knowledge base, they would literally rather attack the character of a forum member then accept the fact sometimes the science gets t right, that sometimes the additives that are meant to do a job actually do that job. Actually you guys are a broke joke and not helping anyone with this. Try accepting the fact that many guys are killing these ticks with good science and then figure out why and earn that oil guy designation you give yourselves.

I'm not sure what your hang up is other then trolling, but I was referring to lubegard's biotech not any oil. And moly is the EP additive, so I don't know what you are talking about there as well. Now to mention esters which by themselves can also EP additives. You seam hung up on brand and not formula. If someone has a condition that is causing extreme pressures and it is manifesting itself in "noise", then use science to come up with a strategy to address it if you can't and don't want to address it mechanically. As it turns out, this often works. But, if the engine is ticking on some random oil, just using super tech because all of the "oil guys" love it, aint gonna work. People around here refuse to add the constant testimonials to their knowledge base, they would literally rather attack the character of a forum member then accept the fact sometimes the science gets t right, that sometimes the additives that are meant to do a job actually do that job. Actually you guys are a broke joke and not helping anyone with this. Try accepting the fact that many guys are killing these ticks with good science and then figure out why and earn that oil guy designation you give yourselves.

My goodness burla, I'm not sure where in my post you see a "hang up", I was mostly asking a question. And we are a "broken joke"?

People might listen to you more if you didn't make posts like this one or ones that got deleted in the past.

two times you bring up brand bias and neither time did I discuss a brand. Get's old and yes broke. ad hominem discredits people that bother to use it, there is a sunject on the board and it has nothing to do with me. Have anything of substance to add other then yeah Burla likes redline?

Burla I actually agree with you that there are times where additives actually do work. . Like Rislone... Or I have had used Hy-perlube polyolester work really well in the lady's Camry to stop that car's motor from being loud while running... I agree with you on that.

Molybdenum is a friction modifier though... Not a EP additive.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Burla I actually agree with you that there are times where additives actually do work. . Like Rislone... Or I have had used Hy-perlube polyolester work really well in the lady's Camry to stop that car's motor from being loud while running... I agree with you on that.

I agree on the molybdenum. It is a friction modifier.

extreme pressure additives

Moly is actually one dependant on extreme pressure to work at it's best, time, heat and pressure needed for the moly plate. Also shows esters are ep as well. Point being, look no farther then this list if your engine is ticking, because those spots where that tick is ricking create the conditions where you need EP additives.

It is not a EP additive....

Ask one of our smartest and best people on this site.. who is by the way a oil formulator himself.... And teaches at a college in Iowa.. Molybdenum is a friction modifier...

You sure about that?

EP Additives

"Common examples of Extreme Pressure additives are molybdenum disulfide, graphite, sulfurized olefins and dialkyldithiocarbamate complexes"

EP additives 2

"Some of the EP additives are:

Dark inactive sulfurized fat
Dark active sulfurized fat
Dark active sulfur hydrocarbon
Short and medium chain chlorinated alkanes (see chlorinated hydrocarbons and chlorinated paraffins)
Esters of chlorendic acid
Polymer esters
Polysulfides
Molybdenum compounds"

Last edited:
Read what I said above.... Molacule on here clearly has stated it is a friction modifier... I think I would trust a real oil formulator...

Read what I said above.... Molacule on here clearly has stated it is a friction modifier... I think I would trust a real oil formulator...

Then you should email Nye Lubricants and tell them to fix their website. Now you have me wondering why molybdenum is used in EP grease?

Chevron EP Moly Grease - literally calls out MoS2 as an EP additive.

Fwiw, I *think* a large group of additives fall under "Friction Modifier"... whereas "EP" is the type. So it's not exclusive of one another.

Last edited:
Ahh it's a frickin friction modifier champ....

MoDTC is a friction modifier... Maybe more specific is what is needed here... MoDTC... Friction modifier..

Ahh it's a frickin friction modifier champ....

MoDTC is a friction modifier... Maybe more specific is what is needed here... MoDTC... Friction modifier..

Do your homework "chump".. it's an EP additive. And after you call Nye Lubricants to tell them to fix their website language, call Chevron and tell them likewise.

Last edited:
No it's not hoss....

Let's ask a REAL person who formulates oils... Like that person on here....

Who has clearly stated.... MoDTC is a friction modifier...

Look up what he has a about it...

Do your reading... Instead of a stupid Google search in 5 seconds...

I'd trust Molakule over a champion like you doing a 5 second Google search... Who just wants to argue... And yet a Google search is not really all that trust worthy...

Last edited:
No it's not hoss....

Let's ask a REAL person who formulates oils... Like that person on here....

Who has clearly stated.... MoDTC is a friction modifier...

Look up what he has a about it...

Do your reading... Instead of a stupid Google search in 5 seconds...

I'd trust Molakule over a champion like you doing a 5 second Google search... Who just wants to argue... And yet a Google search is not really all that trust worthy...

Did you even read any of the links I provided? In particular, did you read the PDS from Chevron where it states in no uncertain terms that molybdenum is an EP additive?..But hey.. what would they know. You do you hoss..but me, I'm going with Chevron....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back