Napa full synthetic / Valvoline, which one is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Valvoline product is the Napa house brand. Just wanted to do a cost comparison before I stock up. IIRC the Napa full synthetic is on sale for 17 bucks a jug.

Well Napa is fairly good oil in fact I have two cases of it. But they just have minor sales and they don't have rebates. $17 dollars a Jug isn't a bad deal but it isn't an outrageously good deal. I just picked up some Valvoline MaxLife for $10 a Jug as well as Valvoline Modern Engine for $15 a Jug. My suggestion is pick up a small amount and just keep your eyes peeled for better deals they will come along.

It would not be surprising to find out it is exactly the same. If they are not the same both are so close your engine doesn't know the difference.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
...but they do appear different in VOAs posted here IIRC.

That's crazy that either NAPA specifies that their blend have differences. If they took an off-the-shelf Valvoline and had it private-labeled, they'd surely save substantial money because Valvoline wouldn't need to change blends and could produce even larger production runs (which equals cost-savings for everyone).

I am using NAPA full synthetic 5W-30 DEXOS in Wifey's 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l . Purchased a year or two ago , for $ 4 a quart .

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
...but they do appear different in VOAs posted here IIRC.

That's crazy that either NAPA specifies that their blend have differences. If they took an off-the-shelf Valvoline and had it private-labeled, they'd surely save substantial money because Valvoline wouldn't need to change blends and could produce even larger production runs (which equals cost-savings for everyone).

My guess is that valvoline uses a more expensive additive package and a cheaper one for the house brand oil.

Valovline always turns in stellar UOAs here...theyve got some secret sauce for sure.

I suppose Valvoline makes quite a few "house brand" oils to make up for the different production runs that this dictates. Otherwise, even "a more expensive additive package" could possibly be offset by allowing Valvoline to purchase their components in greater volume but maybe not.

I agree that your engine won't know the difference but they do appear different in VOAs posted here IIRC.

Napa oil is good stuff...though pricey

+1

Napa oil is good I wouldn't hesitate to run it, and often do in my small engine applications simply because Napa is close by.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I suppose Valvoline makes quite a few "house brand" oils to make up for the different production runs that this dictates. Otherwise, even "a more expensive additive package" could possibly be offset by allowing Valvoline to purchase their components in greater volume but maybe not.

And you would be correct.... In that Valvoline does make a number of other "house" oils.... Sunoco motor oil being another one...

There's better deals out there now...Castrol Magnetic is $15 on Amazon right now. Rotella gas truck is still running their rebates right now and autozone is having a massive clearance of Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Quaker State and Rotella.

And any day of the week you can get synthetic super tech for $15.88 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability for $18.

In my small engines ive been using supertech conventional 15w40.

St conv 10w-40 in 3 garden tractors, 3 push mowers and 2 4-stroke weed wackers I maintain. Works great!

Originally Posted by Railrust
There's better deals out there now...Castrol Magnetic is $15 on Amazon right now. Rotella gas truck is still running their rebates right now and autozone is having a massive clearance of Valvoline, Mobil 1 and Quaker State and Rotella.

And any day of the week you can get synthetic super tech for $15.88 and Quaker State Ultimate Durability for $18.

Remember though... Not everyone wants to deal with the defending World Champions at Walmart... Or walking a looonnnggg way to even get there to what you actually want to buy. . .

I will take the extremely short walk into Napa and not have to deal with the mass of humanity often involving Champions at Wally World.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Railrust

Remember though... Not everyone wants to deal with the defending World Champions at Walmart... Or walking a looonnnggg way to even get there to what you actually want to buy. . .

I will take the extremely short walk into Napa and not have to deal with the mass of humanity often involving Champions at Wally World.

I missed something here.

I bought a pallet of 5qt jugs of Napa syn blend for work vehicles for $11.50 a jug. I contacted Valvoline for SDS sheets on the product. While on the phone I asked if it was the same as Valvoline and was told no. They said it's a different base stock and different add pack. It's still a great product but not as well suited for extended drains as the Valvoline.

I just don't like having to walk a long [censored] way to get into a store... And walk a long way once inside that store... And dealing with a bunch of World Champions at that same time....

I do go to Wally World once in awhile... Late late at night... Like 2 am... And the Walmart west of Richmond near Rte 288 at least has it to where the door is actually open on the hard goods side... Making that walk a lot shorter.

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
I bought a pallet of 5qt jugs of Napa syn blend for work vehicles for $11.50 a jug. I contacted Valvoline for SDS sheets on the product. While on the phone I asked if it was the same as Valvoline and was told no. They said it's a different base stock and different add pack. It's still a great product but not as well suited for extended drains as the Valvoline.

This makes sense to me ^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back