Need a LED work light, # of lumens? Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to purchase a LED work light. I had a older Halogen thin bulb light and besides putting out too much light and being very bright, it's hot, too hot for the summer.

I'm divided between a USB rechargeable light with a lithium battery, which I always have electricity, because it is smaller and lighter than 120v and easily charged on the job if needed; or a 120v light then I never have to worry about a battery failing and the unit becoming a throw away.

Next, how many lumens should I be looking at?

I'm looking using it in areas where I'm doing sheetrock, taping, painting, plumbing, replacing a hot water heater in a darker basement, working on a lawn mower or a snowblower in someone's garage, on the occasion that I need extra light. I don't need to light up the whole room, I can turn it, move it, but it should light up most of the wall.

If you have some battery powered tools probably check if the brand also make led lights that uses the same batteries.

Originally Posted by wkcars
If you have some battery powered tools probably check if the brand also make led lights that uses the same batteries.

Great idea. Thanks.

I just checked and Ryobi sells a hybrid work light, that takes my 18v battery and has a removable plug in 120v cord for $70. More than I want to spend but may be worth it however for the same $70 or less I can buy 2 lights, a USB lithium rechargeable and a 120v corded.

I would shoot for at least 800 lumens but more is desirable if the budget will stretch, but if you go for a generic you may find that the lumen rating is greatly exaggerated.

A primary consideration is exactly how you'll use it. Those little tabletop lights are handy but often you may find that you want it mounted on a tripod (or hack out some way to get it at the height and position needed for the work) whether that tripod comes with it, or it has a mount for one, or you drill a hole for a DIY mount.

Try to avoid those with low CRI or much over 4500K color temperature for painting or any electrical work where you need to discern wire colors.

As far as what a good value is today, I've no idea as new makes and models are popping up all over the place and going on/off sale.

Be weary of those that have a disproportionately high lumen to rear heatsink area. They'll run hot and be shorter lived. LEDs don't produce nearly as much heat as incan per lumen but some designs out there definitely won't last for several years of use.

I don't have hands on experience with the Harbor Freight light to know how hot it gets but I do notice that all the reviews for it are recent (past two months). It could burn out in a single year of use and nobody had it long enough to reflect that in the review... not to single out that light, any built to a low price point could have this issue. Again consider the heatsink to lumen ratio and if it seems to run too hot, return it for a refund.

lumens vary with the type of lighting, a cheap hot 500 watt quartz halogen puts out 7000 lumens or more!! lots of options for sure. on the job out drywall finishers aka spacklers carried a cheap 250 watt incandescent inspecting the finish up close!! different lights for different uses + its said LED lights in general are NOT good for eye health!!

I bought a LED work light at Costco, $30. Has 1 main light with 2 small folding side lights that can be aimed sideways, the whole unit can be aimed up and down, #1600203, 120v, 5,000 lumen, 50w, 4,000K, folded 5"x9"x11", 3 yr guarantee. I love it because it's so small and lightweight, produces no heat, and bright.

IMG_20200114_084840.jpg

They're pricey, but Milwaukee has a variety of worklights that are awesome, and several of them will also take an extension cord for the times when you have access to power.

Once you have a few hundred lumen you're probably set. I'd look for something with more diffuse light... less harsh, fewer shadows.

I like the battery powered ones. I'm cheap but hate tripping over cords. I could use rechargeables but don't... laziness prevails! Do try to get AA and not AAA models if possible.

removable 18650 all the way.
#18650masterrace.
btw 3aaa powered lights can sometimes take an 18650 with a simple spacer.
aaa cells are a garbage power source for most lights except low power stuff.
3aaa in a carrier=cheap and nasty
Originally Posted by eljefino
Once you have a few hundred lumen you're probably set. I'd look for something with more diffuse light... less harsh, fewer shadows.

I like the battery powered ones. I'm cheap but hate tripping over cords. I could use rechargeables but don't... laziness prevails! Do try to get AA and not AAA models if possible.

Originally Posted by kc8adu
removable 18650 all the way.
#18650masterrace.

This. I mostly now use a 18650 headlamp (Skilhunt H02) vs. the 3AAA Petzls I used for years.

Never going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back