Appropriate oil for old Volvo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm driving a 1992 Volvo 240GL with 215K miles on it and am considering switching to a high mileage oil. I'm gonna guess that I burn through a quart between 500 and 1000 miles. When I used the "Find the right oil" link on the Mobil website, it selected Mobil Super Synthetic Euro 5W-40 (only viscosity offered) although it doesn't seem to be available when I search online. I've never used synthetic oil in my car and read that it could possibly cause leaks instead of fixing them. Is it safer to go with a non-synthetic high mileage oil? And viscosity? I live in New York City so we don't get super cold here (might drop to single digits on a couple of winter nights) on rare occasions) or hellishly hot (rarely breaks 100 degrees). Any suggestions would be welcome. Bill

welcome2.gif

Any A3/B4 European rated oil would be fine. 5W30 would be fine. 0W30 would be fine. 0W40 would be fine. Synthetic would be fine. If your car leaks, then it was because the seals were worn, not because "synthetic leaks".

I would go with this: https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00JGQLZSU

Castrol Edge 0W40, A3/B4 rated. MB 229.5 rated (not that you care, but a good specification/approval). $25/jug on Amazon. You won't find a better oil and the 0W will help you on those cold nights that you do have in New York. Great oil for year-round use.

My wife's XC (with over 250,000 miles on it) saw a drop in oil consumption with the Castrol 0W40 vs. other oil brands in similar weights.

Check your flame trap - a sludged up/clogged flame trap will drive up oil consumption in an old Volvo.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've been driving a Volvo 940 for almost 18 years. It has the same engine as yours except it has a turbo. The red block Volvo engines are very tolerant of oil choices. If your engine is using that much oil you ought to check the oil separator. It is the Volvo version of a PCV. If it is clogged it can cause excessive engine blow by which will increase oil consumption. These engines are very stout.

Your engine will do fine on any conventional 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil. Synthetic will not cause leaks but is not necessary. I'd recommend you use Volvo or Mann filters. They are easy to get on ebay or e.euro.

Other's might disagree but I think any descent 240/740/940 will soon be an appreciating car.

Originally Posted by Passport1
Other's might disagree but I think any descent 240/740/940 will soon be an appreciating car.

I concur.
I think the 1986 Buick Skylark is the one to watch out for.
It's generic lines that resemble most of GM's N-body from that time, paired with forgettable handling and abysmal fit and finish will also be in high demand.

coffee2.gif

10/30 or 10/40 will be fine. Rotella T5 semi syn is 17$ a gallon for their 10/30 on amazon, sometimes cheaper with sales and rebates.

If I recall, I was using Mobil1 10w-30 back in the day with my 1988 240 DL Wagon. Were I still driving that car, I think that Mobil1 10w-30 high mileage might be my go to oil, that or the Castrol Edge 0W40 Astro14 recommends. Those red block 2.3 liter I4s will go forever if properly maintained.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Edge 0W-40 Advanced Full Synthetic is probably a great oil but wouldn't a high-mileage oil have more in the way of sealing properties (I have well over 200K on my Volvo).

In Australia people run 15W40 mineral or 10W40 semi-synthetic in those cars.

For you I would suggest
Summer: Rotella 15W40 mineral
Winter: 10W40 like GTX or PYB

A 10W-x oil is good down to 0F, so you are OK for winter

Ideally an A3/B3 or A3/B4 mineral oil like we have in Australia, but I don't think you get mineral A3 oil in the States, only synthetic, and that car doesn't need synthetic (but it shouldn't hurt). So an API SN 10W40 should do you, as long as you don't go too long on the oil change interval (OCI). I would be fine with 5k miles.

Old army mate of mine was a Volvo collector, just after my son was born, my only car broke. So my mate gave me his turbo version of that car to keep me mobile until my car was fixed. Good guy and good car.

The 1990 240 in my signature has over 230k. It gets Valvoline Max Life red bottle (semi-syn) 5w-30 in winter. Summer run it gets the same except 10w-30. So twice a year changes. Uses about one quart about every 6k, sometimes less. Leaks no oil. The red blocks are not fussy with oil, IMHO. Good, stout engines that has not given me a hint of any internal noises or issues. Check your flame trap.

Last edited:
An old neighbor of ours had a Volvo from maybe the 80s? It said "Castrol 20W-50" on the oil cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back