Supertech extended drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a Toyota 2.7 (2tr-fe) that sees mostly 75% plus highway driving is there any reason to believe super tech synthetic can't go the 10k oci as recommended by the mfgr?

Current UOAs are with M1 0w40 and I've had a TBN over 4.5 each time after a 10k oci

Same question for a Toyota 4.0.

Reason Im asking is I'm considering switching to D1G2 oils and simply buying off price as its proving to be a very strong spec...and I like the concern for timing chains. The zinc in M1 0w40 concerns me a touch.

Both would be getting 5w30 as per the mfgr.

Are you planning to do a UOA? If so, I'd run it for 10k and measure. I doubt there would be an issue, but why not sleep easy?

I believe others have tested ST and not seen any reason to believe it is somehow sub-par.

I know its not sub par...it carries some strong certs. I will get a UOA...but that negates a good deal of cost savings.

The D1G2 spec is NOT about extended drains IIRC. GM only goes out to like 6 or 7500 OCIs do to the faulty design of many of their timing chains. My concern is that not all D1G2 oils can go to 10k.

According to both owners manuals and this is a quote "An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at hight speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Both of my vehicles qualify. The Tacomas cruising RPM on the interstate is 3500!

UOAs with both vehicles are excellent with 0w40 having a TBN around 5 after 10k. The oil stays within grade and doesn't show any oxidation.

Last edited:
Our shop truck has the 2.4L version of your 2.7L. It gets whatever oil is on sale. Uually a warren oil,sometimes Napa oil. It gets changed when I remember it. Usually at least 6k oci or more. It has 440K+ on it now.

So I think that if ours can go that mileage on cheap oil the syn can only be better.

I've been very pleased with ST oil after switching from M1. I considered ST syn as a "safe" 5k oil. My 4Runner is now at 5k and 6 months. I usually change it every year (5k miles) but this year we've been driving it a lot more. Just checked the dipstick and it looks like it was changed last month. I'll check the oil with my Lubrichek gaget this week and probably keep it in until the year is up.
I know, very scientific.

The problem with the above thinking is that the oil manufactures change the formula all the time...seemingly on a whim. You may be buying the same bottle...but you really dont know what's inside. Mobile has changed the 0w40 at least 4 times since ive been buying it.

With a house brand oil like Supertech you really dont even know who the blender is day to day. Citgo today, warren tomorrow...who knows.

Ive come to understand the spec is all that matters any more.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
16 isn't bad...ill check with them. Do you pick them up at the store?

I call and they get them in a day or two. Pickup at store.

Originally Posted by Donald

Do they include TBN at that price? How quick do they turn them?

Short of members posting their own UOAs, there have been multiple comments that would justify what you are proposing.
It seems that you have discounted several of these reasonable statements.
You've also complained about your own UOA based on the cost, all while stating that you have performed a UOA including TBN while running M1 0w40. If you're willing to spend double on M1 and then $25+ additional on UOA previously, then why not incur it here in order to provide data for your decision?

The reality is that if you want absolute specifics for your engine and driving conditions, the only way to do that is by means of your own UOA.

You can get the Wix UOA kit through Rock Auto for $15 plus shipping by searching for part number 24077, and the same kit through Napa for a dollar or two cheaper. BTW, RA frequently runs the Wix 24077 kit on sale for around $10.

At the end of all this you will find the ST product completely adequate for the service requirement you are describing.

It's up to you to make your own determination based on either the feedback provided here or your own UOA results.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Donald

Do they include TBN at that price? How quick do they turn them?

The include TBN for the price. The turnaround seems to be less than a week once they get it. Best USPS results if outside container is enclosed in a box or anything but sent as a round container.

The D1G2 spec is very good, better than Toyota's requirement. I'm sure you can make it 10k with the ST 5w30 considering your abundant highway use.

There's both a 7.5k and 15k UOA on ST syn 5/30 in the UOA's sub-forum...both look good (as far as those motors are concerned) so I'm pretty sure it can handle what you throw at it, that is unless your engine/driving likes to beat up on oil...then you might consider UOA's.

Actually getting a UOA after the first run is not a bad idea..confirms you made the right decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back